This is a hotel for realists only . If you are a perfectionist or a habitual whinger or the type of person who expects five star luxury for a two star price tag then don't book this hotel. Yes, there's a lot that needs doing- it is a huge building but it's obvious that renovations are taking place bit by bit. It cannot be back to its former glory overnight. I rather like the old fashioned feel though. The rooms are clean and comfortable and adequate for a few nights stay. The ceiling was badly cracked in our bathroom but so what ? All the staff we encountered were helpful and friendly, the atmosphere in the bar on Saturday night was good- helped by the eclectic choice of music played by the DJ. The restaurant is a fantastic room, it would look great set up with lots of fresh flowers for a wedding reception . The evening food (on the cheaper set menu) is ok . My steak pie was very tasty but tiny frozen Brussels sprouts in July? Do something else! The breakfast was better , plenty of choice. My only real criticism of the restaurant is I felt personally that there is a well intentioned but unwarranted attempt at excessive formality - we seemed to get into a confusion with wine and food waiters and the poor lad who was trying to lead us to our table ended up blocking our way there! It's NOT fine dining, just let the staff be nice and friendly and approachable.
Overall, we enjoyed our night at the Cumbria Grand and would like to come back again. The value for money is great . For us, the plus points vastly outweigh any negative points raised by people with unrealistic expectations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in 20 acres of private gardens, overlooking Morecambe Bay, the Cumbria Grand hotel boasts 124 en-suite rooms, a restaurant and bar/lounge. There are various sporting and leisure facilities including a tennis court and putting green. Free parking is also available as well as Free WiFi in public areas, in Superior Rooms, or in all rooms if you book direct with the hotel. The rooms feature TV’s, tea and coffee making facilities, trouser presses and hairdryers. Guests at the Cumbria Grand can enjoy a game of snooker in the games room and for those who prefer to be outdoors, a leisurely stroll across the private gardens could be the perfect way to unwind. The hotel’s restaurant offers a wide variety of fresh seasonal dishes made using local produce, such as freshly caught shrimps and an extensive list of fine wines and other beverages. The hotel is a short walk away from the beach and the town centre of Grange-over-Sands with its quaint shops and cafes. Lake Windermere is six miles away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Ebookers, Priceline, LateRooms, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Cumbria Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cumbria Grand Hotel Grange-Over-Sands
- Cumbria Grand Grange Over Sands
- Cumbria Grand Hotel Grange-Over-Sands