“Lovely Old House”

and 1 more site!
Abbot Hall Hotel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Grange-over-Sands
Reviewed 24 August 2014

When I first saw the Abbot Hall Hotel, I was struck by a strong feeling of deja-vu, although I've never been there before. I think I may possible have seen a picture of it on my Grandma's wall in the way-back-when.

The house was built in 1840, on the site, it is believed, of a building raised by the monks of Furness Abbey as early as 1140.

It was used as a family mansion until 1916, when it became a hotel, owned by the Christian Guild.

Our room was spacious and comfortable and gave a great view over Morecambe Bay. We didn't eat there, so I can't speak for the food. But, the coffee in the companionable coffee shop (which is open to non-residents) was excellent.

The free wifi is a big plus in my book. It can only be used in the public rooms, but that's no drawback. They are all spacious and welcoming ... pretty much like the sitting room at home, only MUCH bigger!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Kents Bank, Grange over Sands is a good base to explore the Lakes District and Abbot Hall is reasonable accommodation is you are on a budget because accommodation is very expensive in peak season. The rooms were by no means luxurious and beds had seen betters days but the Hotel's facilities are generally good which includes free parking. If operating on a budget I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Genuinely don't know where to start.

We were booked this hotel as we were working in Barrow and this hotel is cheap and close(ish).

Upon arrival it became obvious this place is a Christian Guild place, which promotes communal dining, and a community spirit, I'm a 22 year old travelling on Business, so not what I wanted.

The room was like a cupboard, had had the window left open all day and so was freeeeezing and was decorated as if by my great grandma. There was an overwhelming smell of dampness and the toilet was situated underneath a flight of stairs so there was noise in my room all night from people walking up and down the stairs .

The shower was a joke, I'm 6ft and couldn't stand up straight and had black mould growing round the bottom, genuinely disgusting.

I'm aware this hotel isn't ment for people staying on Business and appreciate that was a mistake on my side.

On the plus side, the bed was comfortable.

Please do not book if you are travelling on Business, not fit for purpose.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Adamswfc
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Went for a brief holiday with my wife and elderly parents and stayed in a self catering lodge. Still had use of the facilities, including the well maintained & large indoor heated swimmimg pool. Hotel had restaurant & coffee shop which were available for use if we wanted them.
Lodges had easy access for my parents (who have difficulty with mobility) - only 4 steps into lodge and everything in lodge was compact and clean. I did notice a couple of lodges actually had no steps at all, which would have been even better if I'd realised they were available.
Hotel near Estuary and very handy for small station (at end of long access drive) - but we were not disturbed by trains.
Had a great time. Would happily return.
Staff were very helpful and polite.

Room Tip: The lodges seemed quieter than the hotel itself, during our stay.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DarlingtonSally_Ann
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Nice place to stay. Went to collect my wife who spent the week there with her mother and sister. Their lodge looked brilliant. As a late booker I was in the Bungalow which was all right if inelegant.
Staff were helpful. Location glorious. Swimming pool heavenly-after a day's walking in scorching heat. My wife wants to go there with me now!

And the title? My father was billeted there 70 years ago when it was a Civil Defence Training Centre!

Room Tip: Lodges are really nice and comparatively quiet
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

we booked a double room with a shared bathroom. we often book shared bathrooms and it really brings the price down. we didnt really see the hotel itself as we were shunted off to the 'bungelow' which is basically a really old building with poor decor and a dirty bathroom! I used the toilet but didnt shower as it looked disgusting. the cleaner woke us up at 8am with the radio blaring from one of the bedrooms...nice.

did the job but maybe book a superior room to ensure that you get a decent bedroom!

as mentions, great location and if on a budget im sure it would be great for kids with the swimming pool.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Lovely hotel, well worth the price with the added bonus of a pool! ( which was very well maintained ) whenever we are back in Grange we will be back!

The wifi not working in the rooms was a tiny downside but other than that it was excellent

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Jeffers2286
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grange-over-Sands
Cumbria Grand Hotel
2 mi away
Grange Hotel
Grange Hotel
#1 of 10 in Grange-over-Sands

Been to Abbot Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!