“Great value meals.”
Review of Plough Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gateshead
Plough Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Gateshead B&B and Inns
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Great value meals.”
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We ate here 1 night whilst staying nearby and I'm surprised at the bad reviews. Its a very friendly local pub and the meals were home cooked and very good value at £5 each. The staff were very efficient and we couldn't fault anything.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank neiljaffa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sleaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2012

This is a little gem of a find. £50 for a family room with cooked breakfast at a time to suit. Ask for exactly want you want as the full English is a little sparse otherwise. Please don't moan about noise and music if you've booked a room above a pub. Come on. It's not fair. If you want peace, quiet and a hotel experience this will not be for you. If you want great food, a warm, welcoming, informal, relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff and somewhere to lay your head after filling your tummy and having a few drinks - you'll not be disappointed. We are a family with a child and an unexpected hamster. All were warmly welcomed with a smile and a superb set menu at £10 pp for starter, main and dessert plus a free pre-starter of lobster bisque and gorgeous bakery-fresh bread and butter. This is no ordinary pub grub. It is really big portions of really good food at outstanding prices. You get a whole sticky toffee pudding for dessert and the knickerbocker glory is a big one. The pub is cosy with a nice TV screen - we were watching the Olympics.
We had a nice room with a double and two single beds. It was noisy as the outside area for drinkers was below the window but it was just normal noise for a pub. There was Sky TV in the room and tea/coffee with biscuits. We had a separate bathroom with a big freestanding bath so bring your bubbles. This is no luxury stay - so if you are used to posh you will find a few things that have been missed, like fluff under the bed- but expect basic and then everything will be so much better than expected.

Room Tip: Depends on what you want - the family room at the back was lovely. Specify your breakfast requiremen...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ailismum
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

The plough has the potential to be a nice pub. The staff are over familiar and rude and the locals make you feel like you just walked into their living room. The service for food is ok if there's only one of you. Anymore than that and it's a nightmare. Definitely not the place to take someone from out the area. There's also very little seating which means people are standing in walkways making access difficult. Best advice is keep driving past it!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Vicki488
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Paid £50 for this room which is really cheap with breakfast included, unfortunately our room was right above the busy bar below and all we could hear was loud music and shouting until the early hours of the morning. The room wasn't the cleanest and sadly the shower did not work at all so we had to wash in the sink, breakfast was good and the staff were welcoming at breakfast, no manager around in the morning to take up the issues with, grudged paying the £50 but reluctantly did.

• Stayed July 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Stayed for a long weekend in July and found The Plough Inn to be a great base for visiting the NE.The rooms where very clean,bright and comfortable.Breakfast was cereal,juice,tea,coffee and full English.Breakfast was served in the restraunt which is also open from 12 noon to 9pm for other meals.The food is first class at very good prices.You can have a three course meal for only £10 which is great value.All the staff are very friendly and helpful.We will be returning later in the year for another great weekend.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3 which was a good size and very bright with a large window
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andychapman
Newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Been to The Plough many times for Sunday lunch and had no complaints whatsoever, the food and service always been good, however, today I had booked a table for 3 people for 2.00 pm for my partner,my mother and myself as it was my mums 79th birthday. We arrived at approximately 1.30pm and went to order a drink at the bar - 2 of the bar staff were busy advising a gentleman about the Ravensworth and various other venues in the area whilst we stood and waited to be served, one member of staff even looked at us, knew we were waiting and still stood advising this man, does it take two staff to advise someone who was not even a customer. He didn't even have a drink in the bar, he left and then we were served. My partner informed the bar person we had a table booked so they knew we had arrived.
At 2.00 pm we proceeded to the dining room and were told our table was not ready "if we could just go down to the bar they would let us know when it would be ready" That was fine, however a table of 4 went straight in at 2.00 pm and also a table of 6. We sat and sat until eventually the waitress came over with the menu at 2.20 and said "we are just making your table ready now the soup of the day is tomato" - no apology for the delay whatsoever. At that point we decided to leave. We left the building and the same waitress opened the bar door and shouted at us as we were walking up the side of the building " are you leaving" I said " yes we are" to which she replied "thanks for letting me know" in a very nasty manner and didn't wait for my reply which is probably just as well as it would not have been pleasant. We did not mind the wait for the table but the attitude of this waitress was absolutely deplorable. I am not a person who complains easily and as I have said earlier we have never had a problem here. If i had been that waitress I would have apologised for the wait, and when we left would certainly not have been insolent but would have said "if you are leaving because of the delay I apologise, your table is now ready please come back and enjoy your lunch and have a complimentary drink for the inconvenience. As it was she was disgustingly rude and my mothers 79th birthday celebration was ruined. I hope the waitress had a good day because we didn't. Please just don't go there - in this time of recession you try to retain customers you certainly do not be rude to them when they have been patient enough to wait and then be spoken to like dog muck on their shoes. Please do not give them the satisfaction of going there

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank chriswhit56
UK
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Being local, we have used this restaurant on many an occasion and have always been satisfied.

Having returned from a week in the Middle East we wanted to finish off our holiday with a meal at our 'local' as we did not want to travel into town.

There were four of us and we ordered our food. I opted for a 'Pepper Burger' - 2 home-made burgers with fries / salad. Our food arrived and after cutting into my burgers I discovered that both were noticeably pink inside. Another of us had ordered the same and their's was cooked all the way through.

I managed to get hold of the young waitress' attention who asked if I would like another - but did not offer anything in it's place - an odd comment I thought as what else was I going to eat?

At that point I ordered another soft drink. A long 20 minutes later my meal appeared (along with said soft drink ordered 20 minutes ago), some 10 minutes after the rest of the party had finihsed theirs. Having lost my appetite I rejected the meal - I did not want to then proceed to eat my meal when everyone had finished.

A poor attempt of an apology was made by the waitress (not her fault - but she was rather inexperienced). No offer of an introduction my any management or senior staff... My meal was taken off the bill but my soft drink wasn't (which arrived at the same time as the replacement meal) but being tired I really couldn't be bothered to mention it.

There are some definite flaws here - the really really bad thing was that we were the only people in the restaraunt - not the best sign at 8pm on a Saturday night - one would expect to have to wait for a table at most venues at this prime time.

All in all, the food was not cooked properly (my Daughter was initially served cold beans with her food in a chipped ramekin dish), the wait for my replacement meal was inadequate, the apology was lame at best and there was no management interaction at all.

Also, please get rid of the 'Aldi' salt and pepper plastic grinders that you have on the tables - you are attempting to convey a quality venue with a bold menu but these little touches let you down.

In my opening comments I mentioned that we had just returned from the Middle East (Dubai to be precise) and if this service happened over there the management would be absolutely mortified to say the least - there would be no charge for the whole meal and the chef would be brought out with the management to apologise. A little over the top perhaps, however - as a business in the current climate you need to be able to look after the most important people - your customers. What makes it worse is that this is our local 'pub' - we will now travel an extra mile to the next nearest venue - a little more expensive but they are prepared to 'go the extra mile' when it comes to service, quality of food etc.

Maybe that's why we were the only ones in on a Saturday night... ?

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends