“Okay but wouldn't rush back”
Review of Chiquito

Chiquito
Ranked #26 of 283 Restaurants in Gateshead
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Visited on a Friday lunchtime and was surprised by how quiet the place was.
To be honest, I hadn't been for years and wasn't even sure if it was still open.
The food was okay, not great portion sizes.
The waiter was friendly but I thought the place lacked any atmosphere.
I don't think I would dash back to the restaurant but it was 'okay'.

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Staff very friendly & helpful, price average, food barely average, it was a spur of moment visit probably wouldnt go again

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We love Mexican food. We went out for my partner's birthday. We have two sons aged 11 and nearly 15. The young menu is really good. Gives you two options for a child and older child which was great.

We had garlic bread and cheese to start with which was lovely.

My partner and my eldest ordered Fajitas. He had steak and my eldest had chicken. The steak fajitas were £15.95 and the chicken £13.45. There were 5 very small thin pieces of steak which only filled two wraps. The meal was bulked up with peppers and lots of onions with little taste. There were three small wraps, salsa which was awful, cheese, sour cream and guacamole. Over priced for what we got. There were ooo many plates already in just these two meals so they filled the table before my youngest and I got our meals.

My youngest ordered lasagne which came in a very hot bowl. Would have been good to have been on a plate that wasnt so hot he couldn't touch it. He ordered a side of chips. I had chicken chimichanga which was served in a wire basked like it had just come out of a fryer sitting on top of a handful of chips. I had to remove it from the basket and put the basket on a ledge as the table was too small. It was okay but thought it would have been nice to be served on a mexican plate with rice and beans on the side rather than inside the wrap. I will order something else next time.

The waitress was very attentive and friendly. She was very good with children just came back a few too many times to ask if were were enjoying our meal. Maybe this was to do with the fact we ate early and there wasn't many people in at the time.

My partner had two bottles of beer, I and my sons had a soft drink. We had three side orders onion rings and two portions of chips. My eldest had hot chocolate and churros after which he enjoyed. The cost of the bill was £84.00 making it not affordable to come back often.

All in all the restaurant was lovely, relaxing and authentic. The toilets needed updating and cleaned. We will go back.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Ordered a meal for myself and my wife, had quite a wait for the meals to arrive, when mine arrived it was very nice and piping hot (steak wrap) when my wife's meal arrived it was very cold and was obvious that it had been left to lye for a while. Spoke to the waitress and the manager came to apologise, he was very helpful and we quickly received a freshly cooked meal.

Big pat on the back to the manager that went out of his way to ensure our needs were met.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

we had some vouchers for 25% off so decided to give this a shot, as it doesnt look much from the outside but it is vast and very well decorated and exciting inside. we were served quickly and taken to a very large booth for just the three of us, but quite private and comfortable. I chose chicken and pulled pork fajitas and my husband and sister chose a Tex Mex chicken and pulled pork meal and both agreed they wish they had chosen mine as it looked amazing. with the fajitas you get unlimited sauces and sides and tortilla wraps, and they were very keen and happy to help you get all you were entitled to. The food was amazing and the service was great. The only point i have to make is that a lot of people were obviously there for the same reason we were, with the 25% off vouchers, so it did get very busy and i felt as though there wasn't enough staff to handle this. The server who was in our section was running around like a crazy person, I felt that she definitely needed more help. I will be back, it was great.