“Great food and staff”
Review of Ravensdene Lodge

Ravensdene Lodge
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
Reviewed 21 November 2013

went to the ravensdene lodge for sunday lunch recently and thought i would let them know how great the experience was. The choice of roasts and veg was extensive, whilst the setting in the conservatory was very nice. I must however reserve my praise for both the chef on the carvery (sorry did not get his name) and ian who was our waiter and was very friendly and helpful, i cannot praise him too highly.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank claire s
ravensdene, Manager at Ravensdene Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

We would like to that you for your gracious comments and the time you have taken to put them on trip advisor. We look forward to future visits from yourself and to continue to meet and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

we booked a steak night which was a task on its own as there were no dates free. We got one for a Sunday what we did not want but took it as was the only one we could get. We were shown to our seats and given the three course carvery menu? We told him we had booked the steak night only to be told was a big mistake and mix up as they did not have any steaks to give us so after a long discussion we just went with what was on offer and given a different date for the steak.
We asked the manager to clean all the old food up from around our table before someone slips and hurts them self's so after two attempts of telling him he finely made an attempt so we went for the dinner and what a terrible attempt it was the veg all three of them was terrible so dry looked like it had been out all week and the meat was as dry as sawdust it was that bad and the stuffing was as hard as a golf ball sadest sunday lunch I have ever seen and Thats no joke. Back at our table we still noticed the food was still there so caught the waiter and asked him who replied sorry its not my job ? So asked who's job was it he said he did not know ? Well that was it for us place was dirty,staff were rude ,manager did not have a clue and the food was disgusting and to be honest was not fit for a dog.
So me review is DO NOT waste your time and money it is that bad worst place I have ever ate in.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Just had sunday lunch ,a really good carvery,4 choices for main courses , i had pork and ham was great ,also was turkey or beef..The veg was just right, For dessert we had rhubarb and apple crumble with custard,we enjoyed our lunch very much. Service good and friendly staff

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
ravensdene, General Manager at Ravensdene Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Ellray

we would like to thank you for taking the time and your generous comments regarding your experience with us. All too often great reviews do not get the response they deserve and on behalf of our team would like to thank you and hope for a speedy return to the hotel.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

My husband & I recently went to this restaurant for Sunday carvery with a groupon voucher. We had reserved a table as required by terms of voucher.
What can I say, but from first impressions it was bad and did not improve.
1. We had to negotiate our way in through all the smokers that hovered at the entrance.
2. The reserved table had been set on a dirty tablecloth (it looked as if it had just been turned over but the gravy stains we still showing through)
3. 4 pieces of cutlery were filthy, the spoon in particular looked like it had not been in the dishwasher at all.
4. Asked for a jug of water, which the delightful waiter brought but the glasses did not look very clean either, but it may just been wear & tear from dishwasher.
Consoled myself with this & continued to pour out a glass, on closer inspection it had a black spect in it which I removed and then looked in jug and there was a small fly stuck to inside of jug. Needless to say did not drink any of it.
5. We both had vegetable soup to start, it was luke warm and looked like it had been watered down.
6. We then proceeded to 'carvery', we had a choice of meat, (which was all cooked to perfection) . There were only 3 Yorkshire puddings on the counter , which had escaped the serving area and we're lying near to the edge where the customers stand, the chef reached over picked 1 up and put it on my husbands plate, and then remarked "they don't look very good" and went & got some more from the kitchen and removed them with his hand on to the carving area.
7. Moving on to the veg, which consisted of small amount of mashed potatoes - about 3 portions, 4 slices of carrot, small amount of cauliflower & some white cabbage. There were plenty of roast potatoes & gravy though for those who liked them.

Sorry we will not be returning here again, I expected much better quality from a hotel.

On a positive the waiter was very polite, pleasant & helpful.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
ravensdene, Manager at Ravensdene Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Firstly let me thank you for taking the time to write your review and was extremely sorry to hear that your experience was not what you expected or up to our normal standard.
I am not aware which date you visited and have had no feed back from our team regarding your visit. I would be grateful if you could either contact me at the hotel by phone or email and we can discuss this further.
In anticipation of your call I would like to express my sincerest apologies for the experience you had and rest assured we have taken action to correct and prevent further occurrences.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I recently stayed on business and was very pleasantly surprised by the size of the twin room on the second floor it had two huge double beds with free wifi and satelite tv. The lady on the desk (gina) was extremely welcoming and helpful as i arrived early after a hectic and stressful journey. To say that nothing was a problem for her is an understatement, as she went out of her way the numerous requests i had. The menu for dinner was limited and could be extended but the meal i had was tasty, well presented and great value. After asking in the morning for a late departure and yet more directions from Claire I was happy to here that the friendly service seems to be universal. My only disappointed is that i won't be back for a number of weeks, i would highly recommend the sumptuous twin or the doubles i saw being serviced on the second floor.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank regency1832
ravensdene, General Manager at Ravensdene Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

We would like to that you for your very gracious review. We are very proud of our recent refurbishment of our second floor rooms and would like to personally thank you for your comments. We are planning in the very near future to be looking at our ground floor rooms and also extending our range on our menus. I understand it will be a few weeks until you are back with us when i can introduce myself to you and thank you in person.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We had a groupon voucher and still felt ripped off. Starter of potato skins was ok, carvery was poor, plenty of choice but all very sad looking and as it turned out it was lukewarm and it was only 1pm. Looked as though it had sat there for hours. Drinks were expensive, barman asked two questions in relation to drinks order but obviously didn't listen to our answers. My glass was marked and waiter took it away to get another one. Never returned so found my own glass. No atmosphere. Totally disappointing experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
ravensdene, Manager at Ravensdene Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Let me first apologise for your experience during your recent visit to our carvery. The service you recieved clearly fell far below our normal high standards. We have already taken action to ensure that similar occurences do not happen. I trust that any future visits will meet with your expectations and would like to thank you for the time and trouble you have taken in your review.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Myself and my husband have visited the Ravensdene many times over the years for Sunday lunch. Sometimes a good experience, sometimes not. Appears to be forever changing staff and chef over the years too which doesn't bode well sometimes. I think this Sunday was possibly the worst and really would think twice now about returning. Although it was quite late in the day, you wouldn't expect the dining tables to be untidy and not cleared. I had to seek out our own cutlery and napkins. The room itself is a mismatch of different furniture in all states. We had to wait approximately 10 minutes at the bar as there was only one guy serving. The food, although the meat was delicious, was quite mushy and overcooked. Lumps in the mash and swede and yorkshire puddings so dried up they instantly shattered. Its sad really when this place has the potential to be a little goldmine. I have seen it in previous years packed out with Sunday diners. I believe a refurb is on the cards, and not a moment too soon.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tr4cy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gateshead
Beamish Park Hotel
#4 of 6 in Washington
Park Farm Hotel
Park Farm Hotel
#3 of 20 in Gateshead

Been to Ravensdene Lodge? Share your experiences!