Ravensdene Lodge
Rowers Hotel(Gateshead)
Ravensworth Arms(Gateshead)
The Bewick Hotel(Gateshead)
View Hotel
Jurys Inn Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Me & 4 of my friends had booked to stay here on 22/2/14 and I must say I am very dissapointed. We had a triple and a double room booked, on arrival we was given our keys to a rooms that had not been cleaned from previous guests. After finally getting a room that was ready for guest we found that our room (the triple) had stained bed sheets and had no proper quilts it was a thin sheet so had to ask for some quilts which was also stained. The room was clean but very out dated and the beds was so uncomfortable.also as travelling together our rooms was at total different ends of the hotel and on different floors. On the night at 2.15-5.45am our room next door of all males kept us up through banging on our walls/door also by shouting and singing really loud, after reporting this to a member of staff it still continued right till 5.45am so we had no sleep what so ever. We left the hotel at 9am to get home cos we was all so tired and wanted to sleep. I am very dissapointed about our stay here and so are my friends we will definitely not be staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank natalie19688
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I purchased a groupon for this restaurant for a Sunday Lunch for 2 people, when I rang to book a table I was told that they were fully booked every Sunday until the expiry of the voucher.
The next day I rang up and did not mention I had a groupon and I was offered a table for any Sunday I wanted.
When I spoke to the manager about this, he told me that paying customers take priority and they only reserve a set number of tables for groupon customers.
If you don't want to honour your deals on groupon, don't sell on groupon, simple as that.
I'm glad groupon refunded my money, I popped in for a drink one day while passing and this place is a dive, in serious need of refurbishment, if the interior is allowed to look like this to the customers, I would hate to see what the kitchen that the customers can't see is like.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TherealBillyWhizz
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Another of those hotels that is serious need of refurbishment,
Staff helpful but not prompt to deal with issues . Milk pots in my room were 4 weeks out of date, shower unusable and the whole building had a musty smell. I will not be back

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

Dubious to check this place out after reading the reviews, however pleasantly surprised. We went for the Sunday carvery and couldn't fault it. Choice of 2 meats, went with beef and pork both cooked to perfection, got a fair bit too. Extensive veg choice, again all perfect, homemade yorkshires and lovely gravy. Only downside for me was that the plates weren't your typical Sunday lunch size, however the ginger guy carving (didn't get a name) was kind enough to get some larger ones, thankfully. Young lady on the bar was very friendly and welcoming. Bar's a bit dated, but appearances can really be deceiving. Sure to be returning soon

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank deano_nufc
ravensdene, Manager at Ravensdene Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

We would like to thank you for the time and trouble you have taken to review your experience and are pleased you enjoyed the our sunday carvery. We hope to see you again soon and rest assured our plate size will match your expectation.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Basic observation:- decor – tired -material crumbling and peeling off all of the sofa’s and chairs in lounge, main meal served in conservatory no background music, tables very close together and chairs back to back, we could hear all nearby conversations, service - very short staffed/lacking experience/ even after complaining we had to clear our own table while staff walked back to kitchen empty handed. Asked for baby changing area and a member of staff went to find out where it was then returned to say they didn’t have one – babies changed on the toilet floor – totally unacceptable.

We all travelled about 15 miles to meet up here for a birthday. Table booked for 6pm, not acknowledged at table and still sitting at 6.45pm until I shouted over for service and ordered our drinks and starters. Starter choice is soup or potato skins - All 7 of us ordered potato skins which were nice, drinks arrived afterwards. After half an hour our empty plates hadn’t been taken away, nor had we ordered our steak ‘cooked to order’, again called for service and ordered 7 steaks all medium well done. It was an hour between starter and main meal and we cleared our own table taking our dishes to the bar, ordered more drinks which we never got. Not sure who’s order the steak was cooked to but it wasn’t ours, 3 meals had Diane sauce which arrived in one small jug quarter filled – we asked if we had to share the one jug and were told yes, we said it wasn’t enough for 3 and were told we would get some more (its around £3.00 extra per person for sauce so we expected more than a tablespoonful) – no more sauce arrived so one of our party did without. 4 of the steaks were cooked still pink in the middle 3 were raw in the middle – 2 we’d been waiting 2 hours, we ate what steak we could, my hubby and I shared the cooked bits between us and left the raw meat heaped up a plate with the blood running out. The steaks were big and would have been good value for money if we had could have eaten them. Not sure if the staff took a dislike to us as we had 2 small children with us, we booked for 6pm with an aim to be out for 7pm, but as we were ignored whilst other tables received service it was near 8.30 when we left and didn’t bother to order deserts, our table still not cleared, another party of similar size in the opposite corner to us had 3 staff attending to them for most of the evening.
Not going back

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
ravensdene, Manager at Ravensdene Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

I am extremely sorry at the lack of service and attention you should have recieved and have taken steps to ensure that this never happens again. I have not redeemed the Groupon Voucher you presented for obvious reasons and are free to go back to them for a full refund.