“Absolute disgrace”
Review of The Bewick Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gateshead
The Bewick Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
“Absolute disgrace”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Recently visited this awful over rated hotel.. We arrived to be greated by a horrible man who was rude and obnoxious, told us if we didn't like the hotel to pack are bags and go else were.. The hotel was terrible, the shower didn't work our sink was full of water, the whole hotel was on a wonk! The lady who else worked there has no customer service & thought it was highly amusing to skit at us because we turned up in rollers.. What's the deal?! I lost my key fare enough it was my fault but knowing the key was in the hotel & will be found I had to pay 10 pound for it.. To then got told by the snotty lady to "go find it myself " bearing in mind I had a coach outside waiting to leave..oh and forgot to mention she went to hit me.. I'm 20 years of age and she's about 50! The hotel has dogs roaming around how it has not been closed down yet I do not know.. Little call to trade and standards I think!
If you want my advice DO NOT STAY in this hotel pay the extra 10 pound to stay in the swallow hotel down the road!

Wey aye pet!

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank Fayefay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Aberdeen
Reviewed 26 March 2013

The owner was self-centred and did what suited him, not what suited us. He was a horrible man with no manners what so ever. There was a dog going about, it wasn't clean enough, the doors were just squeaking like mad, I absolutely hated it, I would never go back. I wish the place would be shut down, I don't understand how it passed the inspectors test? I hated it, hotel was dated and the staff just seemed like they were not interested in making any effort for us as their customers. I would strongly reccommend that you do not stay here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ben M

Travellers are raving about these Gateshead hotels

Reviewed 10 March 2013 via mobile

On arrival the owner seemed to be more interested in amusing himself than helping us. Just a bed for us but due to creaky doors and screaming drunk teenagers we didn't get a wink. Not clean, dog in kitchen, guests banging about, shouting etc from 1 to 3 am with the owner not bothered. He said all hotels were the same, basically go away I don't care. It was cheap and the service was not really different from Faulty Towers.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank PetePoweron
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Budget hotel a little tired, so are the staff, the for sale sign says it all. Bed linen looked like it had not been ironed. No chair in room, room was clean enough, shower pressure ok. Breakfast was ok nothing to write home about.
Hotel a little dated but ok for the price.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank IanBromley
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I recently visited Newcastle for my birthday with 7 other friends needing a no-frills place to sleep. It didn't start well when we arrived to find out that they had only reserved us the Friday night and not the Saturday night. This was a big problem and meant half us staying in one hotel in Jesmond and another in Gateshead. The man on reception was not rude more dozy and I felt like I was speaking to a wall at times. I would recommend double checking the booking before arrival!

The rooms were okay and what we had expected. There was a few dodgy looking stains,burns, and various issues such as shower doors not closing, low water pressure, holes and cracks in the walls, missing light bulbs. After reading other reviews, this wasn't a big surprise. The double beds didn't appear to be large enough for two people and did not provide the best nights sleep. If you need somewhere to stay after a few drinks then the Bewick will do the job though. The family room was quite comfortable with a sofa so if you are there with friends, its a good place to get ready and warm up for the night out.

Breakfast is served between 8-9am so can't comment on how good it is - just too early.

All in all, the hotel is in a good location, its cheap, and assuming you are willing to put up with dozy staff and average rooms, then you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Andy L
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I'm sorry but for someone who has lived in military accommodation for 21 years and used to substandard dwellings I should have been prepared for this. The staff were rude insisting I had to pay for 2 night when I cancelled 1 a week before and the reception staff was equally non helpful. Be prepared for a faulty shower, unclean room and pubes in the shower. At £37 you get a lot more for your money in Gateshead/Newcastle. Shame because I visit a lot. But the choice is yours...

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Hartland69
Accrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I found this hotel as I'd walked passed it on my way to get some food. Wasn't disappointed. Cheap and cheerful is the best way to describe this place. It's a no frills not expensive place to get your head down. If your not after luxury at a reasonable price then this is the place to go. As like myself it seems popular with contractors.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business