“Cheap but good”

Ranked #173 of 280 Restaurants in Gateshead
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Good place to catch up without spending a fortune. Friendly and food is good for what you pay. Family friendly.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Live local. Used to go in occasionally, but not been in for a while. Thought we would try a light lunch and see if the competition of the Valley Farm had been an incentive for them to improve. It hadn't. Went in at about 2 30 pm. Not very busy at all. Ordered two sandwiches. Waited ages. When they finally arrived they were awful and most of it was left. Steak sandwich had a strange smell and humous wrap had a really sickly sweet sauce that was horrible.Table next to us sent two bowls of chips back because they were uncooked. Unlikely we will go in again which is a shame as it used to be good. But there are far better places to eat close by. Staff though were very pleasant and helpful.

1  Thank Neglenno
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Have been here a couple times before and food was fine . However this occasion it wasn't. My son ordered rib eye steak which arrived not looking like a rib eye , he orderd peas but got coleslaw , we told the server and he brought peas but didn't take the coleslaw off the plate, then he cut into the steak , it was far too tough and gristly and couldn't chew it , he doesn't like fuss and didn't want us to complain . But he left most of it . My husband and I ordered lamb steaks , if arrived minus the mushrooms which are stated ok the menu . Also when ordering meal the South African man on the till didn't seem to know what he was doing and took quite a while so a wye formed . We then ordered the cookie pizza to take away , when it arrived we were told it was frozen in the middle still and pop it into the microwave for a few seconds when we got home ?? Very poor service and quality this visit , which had put us off returning again

1  Thank evelou77
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Waggon Team, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear evelou77

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Waggon Team with regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Flaming Grill

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Visited the waggon team on a Friday night with a group of friends, all of us wanting to tackle one of the various challenge meals that they offer.

With the pub busy when we arrived we were lucky to find a nice round table, which meant we were all able to be part of the conversation. When it came to ordering, we told the meals may take a little longer than the usual 20 mins, as the 32oz stake and trash can challenges can take a little longer to cook; which is expected.

The meals arrived in around 25 mins, with the burgers coming first, I thought at first these were big, Until the trash can challenge arrived, that was something else; HUGE! Despite the mountains of food, it all tasted great, and the staff were great, making sure all our needs were met!

With this being my first visit to the waggon team, I can definitely say I WILL BE BACK and next time I WILL COMPLETE A CHALLENGE

2  Thank Bloomaz7
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We chose to come here today for our Mothers Day meal, it was very disappointing ! Most of the food we were served was inedible and got sent back ! There were 6 of us, 4 adults and 2 children on our table reservation. We ordered 2 roast chicken dinners which were sent back with raw carrots and chicken that dry you cocouldn't swallow it. A replacement of a chicken and bacon melt wrap was brought out for one of us, not sure where the 'melt' bit came into it on the menu as it was stone cold ! My sister asked for well done steak and it came out pink and bloody, so that went back. My niece barely touched her kids meal as the chips tasted like they had refried last night's leftovers, they were absolutely vile. My son ordered a kids pizza which was nothing short of a disgusting soggy mess of a microwave chicago town style pizza, needless to say he left half of it ! We were ao disgusted that none of us would touch a replacement meal or even venture towards the desert menu for fear of what would be served next ! Some mothers day meal, we had to actually go somewhere else as we were all hungry ! I agree with one of the previous reviews about the smell, it was a bit gross and smelled of old chip fat. The tables werw relatively clean but sticky. The toilets were filthy, swilling a squirt of cheap bleach round does not make a toilet clean or hygienic !

The only thing I have which is good to say is that the staff were pleasant. The manager was serving on the till and dealt with our complaint quickly and without fault. We ended up only paying for the kids meals, one adult meal and our drinks which was good. The manager was very good about it and didn't seem put out, it did come across as something they are used to though which is not a good sign.

2 of us have come home with upset stomach, being almost 6 months pregnant I am not impressed to say the least. Will never, ever eat here again. Our trip here ruined our mothers day meal and resulted in us spending more time and money going somewhere that served edible food. Overall absolute terrible.