“Not what we had planned but turned out to be great.”

Hilton Newcastle Gateshead
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
Reviewed 4 October 2012

My husband and I had booked into Malmaison for our wedding anniversary.
We took one look at the room we booked there and checked straight out again, but that's another story and another review.
My husband telephoned The Hilton, explained the situation and they found us a lovely room in their hotel.
Check-in was wonderful. The receptionist took time to chat and take an interest. The meal we had at the bar was delicious, infact one of the tastiest steaks we've had in a while. The barman was more than helpful when we asked for walking directions to The Metro Arena. To be honest we can't fault the service there at all, right down to the Concierge Paul who came to our aid with umbrellas.
The room was lovely, not boutique, but a great comfy bed.Exceptional room service complete with complimentary chocolate dipped strawberries and little bottle of wine.
A big thank you to The Hilton and staff for coming to our rescue for our anniversary.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,161)

Reviewed 4 October 2012

My boyfriend and I travel a good bit for business and typically stay at Hilton hotels. When I booked this hotel - I did so because of the good reviews. However, after staying here I must disagree with most. Both of us are HHonors memebers and are usually treated as so, which was not the case at this hotel. The lady checking us in was very abrubt and not what I would call friendly or welcoming at all. She didn't even let us know where breakfast was served or at what times, we had to go back late and ask.
We were put in a horrbile twin room - though they did come to push the beds together, but it was far from comfortable for myself or my 6'6 boyfriend. No upgrade was offered - even when we asked - and were told the hotel was comletely booked - even though it looked empty throughout the evening and even in the morning. The rooms across fom ours were not used as I was there most of the day and they were not cleaned.
I'm really not sure what happened with our visit to this Hilton - not typical at all and generally speaking we find most of our stays at Hilton's very enjoyable. They even tried to charge me 10GBP an hour for late check out! I can't even believe this was suggested.
The only plus about this place was the kind waitress in the cafe during the afternoon. She was very attentive and should be working in a more high class restaurant - as her level of servcie was far above and beyond this establishment.
Needless to say - I would never book this hotel again or reccomend it to anyone. I see by the reviews that many have enjoyed this place, not sure what made the treatment for us at this hotel so poor - but obviously we had some terrible luck that night.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Just had a fantastic stay at the Hilton Newcastle. Got upgraded to an executive room, believe this was due to being HHonors member. Although the room wasn't ready when we arrived early we were directed to executive lounge to wait. The lounge had great views, excellent ladies staffing it and a great selection of drinks etc. Our room had a great view of the Tyne bridge and river. The hotel although sold out was very quiet, must be excellent sound proofing in this hotel. All the staff were great and the afternoon tea and drinks and canapés provided in the evening were great! We would thoroughly reccomend this hotel, best views across Newcastle!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view and well worth splashing out for an executive room with lounge access.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We stayed here for a friend's 40th Birthday. The staff (especially Caroline) were excellent from start to finish.. Looked after all our bags whilst we went out for a few hours, showed us exactly where to go to accommodate what we wanted to do and booked our taxi for us. The rooms were lovely and clean with some great views (if it overlooked the river). Will defiantly be staying here again for our next trip to Newcastle.

Room Tip: Request a river veiw or you overlook the carpark.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank EJH1992
Reviewed 30 September 2012

This place is saved by the nice staff. You can pay a hefty premium and enjoy a view of the bridge. But it's quite pricey with just a view of the passing traffic. The rooms themselves are dull, the beds nothing special. There was a note on the water bottle saying that opening it would incur a bill of nearly £5. But, um, it had already been opened and yet was full. Perhaps with someone's bathwater? Good grief, Hilton, give peeps a drink of water, will ya?

We ate in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. Horrible food, high prices.

Plenty of alternatives, so I stayed clear on my next visit to Newcastle, and actually paid more for a stay at Jesmond Dene House, which was classy, characterful and boasts a chef.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Just there for one night this week and it was clean, comfortable and I was able to have some banter with the staff which was great. They lent me an umbrellla to walk the short distance to meet friends at Pitcher and Piano across the water. They also advised me I did not have to pay £1.75 to use their cash machine because the is a free one where I was going. Thanks.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel, the rooms are very nice and clean with nice sheets and bathroom facilities, what you would expect of this brand.

I had one major issue with my reservation and this was the pre authorisation that was taken from my debit card without my consent and 1 week later still has not been released back to me.

I fully accept this is the process hotels chains use but surly it is a priority to tell the customer you are doing it in the first place. And release it back to the customer upon checking out.

I realise it may not be a massive deal to them but I may be wrong but they should have told me they had done it.

Pillows were a bit hard but overall good location and nice hotel apart from the check in proceedure.

Room Tip: choose an odd number for a river view
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stuart R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gateshead
Malmaison Newcastle
Malmaison Newcastle
#13 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Jurys Inn Newcastle Gateshead Quays
Ramada Encore Newcastle-Gateshead
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephenson Quarter
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephen...
#11 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Hotel Indigo Newcastle
Hotel Indigo Newcastle
#7 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Hampton By Hilton Newcastle
Hampton By Hilton Newcastle
#14 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to Hilton Newcastle Gateshead? Share your experiences!