“good hotel.”

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
Bristol, United Kingdom
“good hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

This hotel was very pleasant. The rooms are large and have floor to ceiling windows, and the view of Gateshead- and it's bridges all lit up at night is very pleasant.

Food from the restaurant was good, although overpriced.

Breakfast was also good, with an excellent array options of cereals, croissants and other continental stuff like muffins, fruit compotes, juices and cooked breakfast items. One day they had haggis, it was very pleasant.

It is on a steep hill. Lots of Gateshead is like this though, so if you are too unfit to walk up hills perhaps book in the very centre. At the Ibis. On the waterfront. The food really is not great there though.

Room Tip: You want a high up room so you can enjoy the view. It is a goody. Also, be aware that there are ice...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

I love Hilton hotels, my other half is a gold honours member, and this is not from stays with work, but our very own hard earned cash.

We stayed on Sunday 1st December.

Upon arrival at Reception we walked to the honours desk to check in. The receptionist saw us walking to the desk. Then when we got there called us over to the other desk. A little pet peeve, but why couldn't she come to our desk?

We were given our room key and headed up to the executive floor and our room.

The room was clean, unfortunately no river view but never mind. We dropped off our things, the other half went to the gym whilst I went to the lounge.

The executive lounge has amazing views over the Tyne bridge and quayside.
For afternoon tea there were scones available, a bowl which used to have cream inside and jam.

I had a scone and a drink whilst watching the world go by. I tried to go upstairs in the lounge but this was separated off for a private party.

After reading for a short while I headed to the pool downstairs.

When I signed in at the desk, there were perhaps 4 people using the gym. I went to the mens locker room. There changing rooms were not very tidy, out of all the lockers present there was only maybe 4-5 that were empty. I found this strange as I only saw perhaps 6 men using the facilities.
When I was in the Jacuzzi I spoke to a member of the gym, who also shared his frustration that the hotel allows gym members to hijack the lockers for themselves even when not using the facilities to the detriment of less regular users and hotel guests.

The shower that you're meant to use before using the pool, is labelled hot or cold. The hot tap doesn't work, and the cold perhaps should be labelled freezing. I managed a second or two before going into the pool.
One of the lanes was reserved for a Childs swimming lesson. The pool area was full of a group of ladies who were having a spa day who appeared to be enjoying themselves.

The pool area itself was ok, but very untidy. Towels left all over. In the hour I used the steam room and facilities I never saw anyone from the gym walk around to tidy up which is a shame as its a nice area,

If you are staying in an executive room, you have access to the lounge which serves afternoon tea, and in the evening canapés along with drinks.

We arrived at the lounge and it was very busy with people from John Lewis who were having their Christmas party in the hotel function room.

We got the last table and had some cava. There were no spirits available unlike other Hilton lounges I have stayed in. After half an hour the lounge returned to normal when the party people left. The canapes were a salmon risotto and a pasta dish, along with crudites and home made bread sticks (baguette sliced into strips), cream cheese and salami.

Despite them looking delicious, I was unable to have any as there was no serving spoon in the dishes or plates to eat them off.
Looking for a member of lounge staff, there was nobody on the floor for approaching an hour. It wasn't until 8pm when I went to the bathroom upstairs we saw her sitting talking to some customers. It was evident that a number of lounge users recognised the assistant, and its natural to chat with them. But not to the detriment of other lounge users.
When she returned to her duties, plates were put out. Canapes were chosen, and then at 8:15 they were cleared away. Not giving us or others who were waiting chance to enjoy them.

We had another glass of cava, then headed out to meet friends on the quayside.

When we returned to the hotel, I had a shower (good toiletries but not many of them) I discovered there was no dressing gown or slippers in our executive room. Again not a necessity but these are the additional touches you expect from an executive room; and when they're advertised its disappointing to not have them.

When going to sleep the bed was a double and I'm used to a king, I can usually sleep anywhere even in planes however i struggled to sleep as when you turned over the springs on Fe bed were quite loud, this and the fact you could hear the ever so slight bass of the disco downstairs. Kept me awake for a few hours.

The reason why I have rated the stay as "poor" as opposed to average or good was that I emailed my feedback to the Hilton and 10 days later have had no response.

This perhaps is even more disappointing. That when given an opportunity to get feedback, they choose not to respond.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the stay, however the fact that Hilton Gateshead didn't meet their own expectations or my own and their disregard for feedback has made it a poor stay in comparison to other Hiltons I regularly stay in.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an executive room for lounge access. Its worth it (usually)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MartinQ
Brampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

I've stayed a few times on business and also on Christmas shopping weekends.

I find the hotel one of the best Hilton's that I've stayed in. There is always a warm welcome and the staff can't seem to do enough to ensure that you have a nice stay. The rooms are a good size with some that offer brilliant views of the Tyne, Quayside and Newcastle centre.
The meals are tasty with a wide choice and not too expensive either, although the restaurant can get noisy when it's full.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone and I'm sure I'll be back here soon.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

A very well located hotel with great views over the Tyne and relatively easy access when coming from the south.

I stayed here on business attending a dinner and chose one of the worst days of the year weatherwise to travel. Consequently I was running late so finding only one out of the four check in desks attended was frustrating. To add to this the person being dealt with was making a complaint and from over-hearing the story it sounded as though she was being given the run-around. It took 15 mins before a manager appeared to sort it out. Grrrr.

Good hotels are based upon service quality - this hotel has a lot to learn.

Otherwise the room was nice and spacious, the TV system is a PITA to operate and the WIFI costs £15 for a day.

Breakfast was OK.

This hotel could be so good, but...

Room Tip: A river view, but you need a head for heights if you step out onto the balcony.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Alnwick, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Used the spa as part of a living Social deal which seemed very good value! This included 3 hours free parking (very expensive!) Hotel is beautiful, clean and staff are very friendly. Spa has swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. We were not offered robes or slippers on arrival, staff were vague and not very helpful regarding choice of treatments. The treatments we received were poor and didn't last for the full half hour we had paid for. The free herbal tea was lovely! After 2 hours in the spa we decided to try the 'Windows on the Tyne' cafe and restaurant. We had a glass of Champagne which was delicious (£8.50 per glass) took a window seat and admired the amazing view! I ordered Carbonara with king prawns (£19.00) and garlic bread with cheese (£4.00) my sister ordered a Caesar salad with king prawns (£16.00) We waited over half an hour for the food to arrive and when it did we were very disappointed. The pasta carbonara was barely cooked and took 'al dente' to a whole new level! Garlic bread was stodgy and bland. Caesar salad consisted of a few little gem leaves, couple of prawns, couple of anchovies and a heap of Parmesan and dressing, no colour and seemed just thrown together. Needless to say we returned the meals, paid for the champagne and left. The staff we spoke to more than understood our problems with the meal and were very nice about everything, I wonder if this sort of thing happens a lot?!? I expected more from a Hilton hotel, I will return, but only for the champas and the view!!!!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Staceyj220
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Just a quick review in defence of the spa after some of the previous comments. I grant you it's not massive and I did go on a week day morning but I thought it was good value for money with a Groupon token. The massage was good and took the full allocated time and it was clean and well run.

The only issue would be the parking, £6 for the three hours you have in the spa is a bit much.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I`m a great fan of the City of Newcastle upon Tyne although the Hilton Hotel in this case is over the river Tyne in Gateshead. Fear not, you are still at the heart of the area and benefit from a somewhat quieter location of the Hilton.
For the biggest wow factor do your level best to get a room with a river view where the panorama of
Newcastle unfolds before you you. The river with its bridges, the Quaysides historic buildings, the high town with trains and bridges. You do have to enjoy city panoramas to appreciate what I`m saying.
The Hilton is very comfortable as to be expected from the Hilton brand, no dissapointments. Be prepared to pay for a little luxury whilst in the company of popstars, footballers, actors and celebrities mixing comfortably city visitors. Expect the unexpected and enjoy a treat, you deserve it.

Room Tip: River view rooms are slightly more noisey than Gatehead side rooms but the river views are stunning
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gateshead
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephenson Quarter
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephen...
#8 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne
The Vermont Hotel
The Vermont Hotel
#30 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,927 reviews

Been to Hilton Newcastle Gateshead? Share your experiences!