“Best Hilton I have visited for a long while”

Hilton Newcastle Gateshead
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
Barry South Wales
“Best Hilton I have visited for a long while”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Here on work. Very friendly staff. Rooms good size and stocked with all the usual amenities. I did not eat at the hotel but my colleagues were impressed with the breakfast. What impressed me the most was the quietness. I have stayed in so many hotels where normal movement outside of the room amplifies x 100 - this was not the case here. One colleague was offered an upgrade which they were overjoyed with. If I am in this area again this would be my preferred hotel. I have yet to be placed in the Indigo, but I have been to Jurys and this is far better.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We already loved the Gateshead Hilton hotel, but our most recent stay (Sept '13) was wonderful. Katie and Jeanette, who work in the executive lounge, made our honeymoon weekend incredibly special.

I won't forget their kindness.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the executive rooms, if you can, so you can access the lounge on the fifth floor. Start y...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Milnthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We were delighted with the Hilton hotel at Gateshead - the situation, overlooking the Tyne Bridge and next to the Sage, was ideal for exploring the city. The rooms were a good size and kept very clean. A fantastic choice of foods for breakfast (full range of cooked breakfast, breads and pastries, fresh fruit, cereals etc).
Only slight downside for us was the cost of parking.
Would definitely recommend, and we will stay there again next time we're in the North East.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

This hotel was very pleasant. The rooms are large and have floor to ceiling windows, and the view of Gateshead- and it's bridges all lit up at night is very pleasant.

Food from the restaurant was good, although overpriced.

Breakfast was also good, with an excellent array options of cereals, croissants and other continental stuff like muffins, fruit compotes, juices and cooked breakfast items. One day they had haggis, it was very pleasant.

It is on a steep hill. Lots of Gateshead is like this though, so if you are too unfit to walk up hills perhaps book in the very centre. At the Ibis. On the waterfront. The food really is not great there though.

Room Tip: You want a high up room so you can enjoy the view. It is a goody. Also, be aware that there are ice...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I love Hilton hotels, my other half is a gold honours member, and this is not from stays with work, but our very own hard earned cash.

We stayed on Sunday 1st December.

Upon arrival at Reception we walked to the honours desk to check in. The receptionist saw us walking to the desk. Then when we got there called us over to the other desk. A little pet peeve, but why couldn't she come to our desk?

We were given our room key and headed up to the executive floor and our room.

The room was clean, unfortunately no river view but never mind. We dropped off our things, the other half went to the gym whilst I went to the lounge.

The executive lounge has amazing views over the Tyne bridge and quayside.
For afternoon tea there were scones available, a bowl which used to have cream inside and jam.

I had a scone and a drink whilst watching the world go by. I tried to go upstairs in the lounge but this was separated off for a private party.

After reading for a short while I headed to the pool downstairs.

When I signed in at the desk, there were perhaps 4 people using the gym. I went to the mens locker room. There changing rooms were not very tidy, out of all the lockers present there was only maybe 4-5 that were empty. I found this strange as I only saw perhaps 6 men using the facilities.
When I was in the Jacuzzi I spoke to a member of the gym, who also shared his frustration that the hotel allows gym members to hijack the lockers for themselves even when not using the facilities to the detriment of less regular users and hotel guests.

The shower that you're meant to use before using the pool, is labelled hot or cold. The hot tap doesn't work, and the cold perhaps should be labelled freezing. I managed a second or two before going into the pool.
One of the lanes was reserved for a Childs swimming lesson. The pool area was full of a group of ladies who were having a spa day who appeared to be enjoying themselves.

The pool area itself was ok, but very untidy. Towels left all over. In the hour I used the steam room and facilities I never saw anyone from the gym walk around to tidy up which is a shame as its a nice area,

If you are staying in an executive room, you have access to the lounge which serves afternoon tea, and in the evening canapés along with drinks.

We arrived at the lounge and it was very busy with people from John Lewis who were having their Christmas party in the hotel function room.

We got the last table and had some cava. There were no spirits available unlike other Hilton lounges I have stayed in. After half an hour the lounge returned to normal when the party people left. The canapes were a salmon risotto and a pasta dish, along with crudites and home made bread sticks (baguette sliced into strips), cream cheese and salami.

Despite them looking delicious, I was unable to have any as there was no serving spoon in the dishes or plates to eat them off.
Looking for a member of lounge staff, there was nobody on the floor for approaching an hour. It wasn't until 8pm when I went to the bathroom upstairs we saw her sitting talking to some customers. It was evident that a number of lounge users recognised the assistant, and its natural to chat with them. But not to the detriment of other lounge users.
When she returned to her duties, plates were put out. Canapes were chosen, and then at 8:15 they were cleared away. Not giving us or others who were waiting chance to enjoy them.

We had another glass of cava, then headed out to meet friends on the quayside.

When we returned to the hotel, I had a shower (good toiletries but not many of them) I discovered there was no dressing gown or slippers in our executive room. Again not a necessity but these are the additional touches you expect from an executive room; and when they're advertised its disappointing to not have them.

When going to sleep the bed was a double and I'm used to a king, I can usually sleep anywhere even in planes however i struggled to sleep as when you turned over the springs on Fe bed were quite loud, this and the fact you could hear the ever so slight bass of the disco downstairs. Kept me awake for a few hours.

The reason why I have rated the stay as "poor" as opposed to average or good was that I emailed my feedback to the Hilton and 10 days later have had no response.

This perhaps is even more disappointing. That when given an opportunity to get feedback, they choose not to respond.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the stay, however the fact that Hilton Gateshead didn't meet their own expectations or my own and their disregard for feedback has made it a poor stay in comparison to other Hiltons I regularly stay in.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an executive room for lounge access. Its worth it (usually)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MartinQ
Brampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

I've stayed a few times on business and also on Christmas shopping weekends.

I find the hotel one of the best Hilton's that I've stayed in. There is always a warm welcome and the staff can't seem to do enough to ensure that you have a nice stay. The rooms are a good size with some that offer brilliant views of the Tyne, Quayside and Newcastle centre.
The meals are tasty with a wide choice and not too expensive either, although the restaurant can get noisy when it's full.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone and I'm sure I'll be back here soon.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Yorkshire
Reviewed 6 December 2013

A very well located hotel with great views over the Tyne and relatively easy access when coming from the south.

I stayed here on business attending a dinner and chose one of the worst days of the year weatherwise to travel. Consequently I was running late so finding only one out of the four check in desks attended was frustrating. To add to this the person being dealt with was making a complaint and from over-hearing the story it sounded as though she was being given the run-around. It took 15 mins before a manager appeared to sort it out. Grrrr.

Good hotels are based upon service quality - this hotel has a lot to learn.

Otherwise the room was nice and spacious, the TV system is a PITA to operate and the WIFI costs £15 for a day.

Breakfast was OK.

This hotel could be so good, but...

Room Tip: A river view, but you need a head for heights if you step out onto the balcony.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gateshead
Malmaison Newcastle
Malmaison Newcastle
#16 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephenson Quarter
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephen...
#7 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
#15 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Hotel Indigo Newcastle
Hotel Indigo Newcastle
#8 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to Hilton Newcastle Gateshead? Share your experiences!