“Close But No Cigar - room service, bring your own sandwiches!!!!”

Hilton Newcastle Gateshead
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
Newcastle
“Close But No Cigar - room service, bring your own sandwiches!!!!”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times and each time the quality of experience falls and the price of the stay goes up.

I think they have got their prioritiess very WRONG

Not sure I am going to be staying there again, indeed last week I put ten customers in the Copthorne across the water, I could not risk my repoutation on the current standards of service at this hotel.

I stayed a couple of weeks ago for a night that should have been fun, fortunately my customers had booked in the Copthorne!!!

Got there, room not ready had to wait, room upgrade, OK thats nice, then we saw the room, upgraded from what??? the brrom cupboard???

Room still was not ready, not bottled water, one set of towels for two people, no soap shampoo etc, after one hour and numerous calls, still nothing.

Pre-booked items, never happed, but guess what??? - they were on the bill when we were checking out, got that right!!!

Room, weatherbeaten, needs a lick of paint and a few repairs.

Room service - what a joke, has to be the poorest room service offering in the whole Hilton group, its that bad the reception have a huge selection of take away services available, says it all really.

Exec Lounge, well the lady serving on , nice girl, very pleasant very helpful, nice voews of the city, the food and snacks on offer, probably better tasting and more varied at the local soup kitchen,worst I have ever come acroos super POOR QUALITY

All in all - my advice to anyone - book yourself into the Copthorne, until these guys get their act together - worst Hilton Experienec I have ever had

Room Tip: Until they get themselves sorted out, I suggest the Copthorne or another Hotel, this hotel has reall...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank howie999

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We were a party of six for afternoon tea, a mothers day treat... First problem was that staff said they didn't have the booking but they weren't busy so no problem. We were served only luke warm tea which we asked to be changed, the second pot was not much warmer... The sandwiches were ok, the cakes nothing special. We had no tablecloth on the table and it all looked a bit cafe like.
The staff looked a little bored. A poor experience. Don't bother.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Newcastle
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Pleasant 3 night stay for business at the beginning of April although I checked my card statement today only to find I had been charged an additional night - £101.50, in a separate transaction and in addition to the charge for my 3 night stay. I called the hotel who said they have arranged to refund my account and admitted the additional charge was an error although they were not overly bothered about the matter, even when I pointed out that if I hadn't have checked my statement, I would have been £101.50 down. I would have expected a GOGW offer at the very least and will not be staying there again on principle. CHECK YOUR STATAEMENTS IF YOU HAVE/INTEND TO STAY HERE!!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Good hotel in a very pleasant location overlooking the Tyne for a weekend in Newcastle.

The reception were helpful and welcoming and the room was ready for occupation on arrival. It was clean and well equipped. The meal on the first evening was quite aceeptable and resonably priced. Breakfast was much as expected and plentiful. I would recommend this hotel. Also there is a frequent bus into the city centre though it is down a short but steep hill!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Lindsey R, Executive Office at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear david_littlewood1

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at the hotel,especially our superb Hilton Breakfast!

We do hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Just back from visiting my son in Newcastle, with my husband and daughter stayed in the Hilton Gateshead for two nights. The hotel was very clean with excellent facilities and staff. We had dinner on our first night which was of very good quality, and the menu had a good choice to suit all tastes. A good selection of hot and cold breakfast. Room was a good size, with a excellent view, the only problem was the sofa bed was uncomfortable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Lindsey R, Executive Office at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Janrey

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone following your recent stay at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead.

I have passed on your comments regarding the sofa bed to the Housekeeping Manager in order for her to discuss with her team.

I do hope that this will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.

Tynemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We went as a group for a pamper day. Afternoon tea first, it was very average, not special at all. The so called Spa was a joke. The treatments had been booked weeks earlier, first one at 3.30pm. We arrived at 3pm and were kept in a tiny room for 30 mins. The first lady was given only 15 mins of her 30 min treatment as they were running behind!! The pool was 'full' as was the hot tub, sauna and steam room. There was nowhere to sit as every lounger was taken. This so called spa is a busy gym for locals with memberships. We shared our 'pamper day' with groups of young men on stag parties, families with small children and other hotel guests. Thats not the worst of it. Eventually after a 3 hour wait for my treatment without as much as a glass of water I was ushered into a tiny treatment room and I could hear lovely soft music, I thought great at last some relaxation...NOT...the toilets for the gym are adjoined and you can hear every flush, every conversation and other things you really don't want to hear. This was the first and last time I will ever go to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank olly148
Lindsey R, Executive Office at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear olly148

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to us at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead.

Unfortuantely the hotel does not manage the Ocean Rooms Spa, so we have passed on your comments to their management team and can only apologise for the shortfalls in standards which you experienced.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Such a lovely hotel but vastly overrated, the location is also great but it’s far too expensive for what you get. More to the point, particularly what you pay for refreshments I had a salad and it cost £12.

It was basically COS lettuce as you would expect in a Caesar Salad.
The rooms are clean, modern and comfortable. I am a Hilton Honors Gold member well over 50+ stays per year and I am always surprised at how much the food costs in these places.

The breakfast in this hotel isn't as good as some of the other Hiltons.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sheffield1976

We were obviously disappointed to learn that certain aspects did not live up to your expectations, especially as you are a loyal Gold Hilton Honors guest.

We do hope that this will not deter you from visiting us or another Hilton Hotel again in the future.

Executive Office
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gateshead
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephenson Quarter
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephen...
#8 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne
#29 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Roomzzz Newcastle City
Roomzzz Newcastle City
#2 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to Hilton Newcastle Gateshead? Share your experiences!