“Very nice”

Hilton Newcastle Gateshead
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Generally a nice stay, as you would expect from a hilton. Pool is really quiet - which is good. And rooms are spacious and clean. We have stayed Her e few times and it is always consistently good.

Breakfast is brilliant - lots of good quality products

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Lindsey R, Executive Office at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear favourite1234

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following on from your most recent stay with us at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at the hotel, especially the pool and the great breakfast!

I do hope that you are able to stay with us again very soon.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Newcastle Gateshead

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I went to this Hotel for the second time in the past year and will most likely go again later on in the year, I had a room with a view, and what a view Newcastle. The room was clean, well presented and comfortable apart from the pillows they were as hard as bricks, I did complain and within 10 minutes a very nice porter appeared with a replacement fit for a princess. I had spent the afternoon and evening in the excecutive lounge people watching( it was the foggiest day and raining so we stayed indoors ) where I was entertained by the wonderful Jeanette she is a credit to the company and what she didn't know about Newcastle and its history is not worth knowing, Jeanette kept us all chatting and laughing what a great lady and thank you for the history lesson. Food in the excecutive lounge was very nice, followed by an equally nice breakfast the following morning with the equally lovely Katie is was a pleasure chatting to you Katie again lots of information about Newcastle and the Hilton its a pleasure to meet such dedicated and friendly staff who endeavoured to make my stay as comfortable as possible. So to reiterate, food very nice, hotel very good, view second to none same goes for the staff I met. One more thing on checking out we had to wait for a few minutes while other guest checked in which we didn't mind, but the Receptionist apologised and refunded the parking charges nice touch and greatly appreciated. Will be happy to return later this year. Lorraine Tynemouth.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lorriTynemouth

Dear lorriTynemouth

Thank you for your wonderful feedback following on from your recent stay with us at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead.

It is great to know that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel, our service, offerings and indeed our friendly and helpful team members, in particular Jeanette and Katie in our Executive Lounge.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity of being able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Arrived 22nd April. Not my regular hotel, but a lot of my colleagues stays there.
A number of issues from TV remote not working, duvet the size to fit a cot, bed unstable (felt like I was on a boat), hard board over the base of the bed so way too hard, at 2.30 am gave up and sleot on yhe floor. Total sleep 3 hours. Went to have some shower, plug hole full of black hair.

I complained to the duty manager. Did move me to a different room for the nehe next night and said that they would 'sort' me out. DRESSING GOWN AND SLIPPERS IN MY NEW ROOM! (Wow - was exhausted having to work 10 hour day all I wanted to do is eat and sleep)

They even had tried to charge me for my previous room. Felt disappointed that I haven't got any compensation.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Teresa C
Sally_Bennett, Manager at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Teresa C

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead.

I was disappointed to learn that there were aspects of your stay which did not live up to your expectations, however pleased to read that my duty manager was able to assist you with an alternative room.

I hope this will not deter you from staying with us in the future.

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were given a room at the hotel as a wedding present, firstly the friend who sorted the rooms card had bounced and they didnt bother to tell him. Which left myself paying 125 for the room, secondly the room was very basic and everything to buy in the room was ridiculously expensive, 4 pound for a coke. All in all I expected more and was left disappointed.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Craig F

Dear Craig F

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was not up to your expectations. Please be assured that we view all feedback seriously and I have passed on your comments to my reservations team to help us continually improve on our customer’s services.

We do hope that you will accept our sincere apologies for the shortfalls and I hope this will not deter you from staying with us in the future.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stay here a lot over the years and have never written a review.
The hotel is always great, good bar, restaurant and breakfast.
I always get an upgrade to executive lounge with my gold card which is great as I stay on business.
The lounge is a good size (split level) and overlooks the quayside and Tyne Bridge.
Parking is always plentiful and reasonably priced for a city centre hotel.
All in all of your looking for a good 4 star hotel with a great gym/pool then you will struggle to beat this in the area.
Modern, clean and welcoming every time.

Room Tip: Try and get an upgrade to exec room or at least a room overlooking the Tyne Bridge
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Tobe80

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, it is always nice to welcome back our regular guests.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

A superb stay over Easter. Customer Service is second to none. Room service food was excellent and we also ate in the Restaurant which was equally good. The Executive Lounge breakfast and early evening nibbles/drinks are a real bonus.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Julie B

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at the hotel, especially the Restaurant and Executive Lounge, we will certainly share your comments with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

This was our third stay at the Hilton Gateshead not because the hotel is fantastic but because it's convenient for the Sage and other entertainment venues. In this instance it was to see Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake which was absolutely fantastic.

The room (425) was in need of TLC and despite being an executive room with riverside view the view from the room wasn't exactly uninterrupted (see pictures). The huge pillars also made the room somewhat gloomy as very little sunlight made it into the room. Robes and slippers were also missing and we had to remind reception. The double bed in the room coupled with "boy racers" having a race outside the hotel at 2am in the morning (ok outside the control of the hotel) didn't make for a good nights sleep so perhaps take ear plugs. We had room service which was efficient and tasty and not overly expensive.

As on previous stays the Executive Lounge hostesses (and apologies if I've got the names slightly wrong) Janette & Katie were excellent, both ladies are a credit to the Hotel, enjoy Cancun Katie!!; it's the main reason for returning to the Hilton Gateshead.

I think now money needs to be spent on bringing the rooms up to the standard of a 4* Hotel as they are beginning to look their age.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms in front of the Pillars!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sally_Bennett, Manager at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Shrodinger56

Please be assured that we view all feedback seriously, we do pride ourselves on our service offered and your encounter with us is certainly not to our usual normal high standards.

We have taken on board your comments regarding the room being a little tired and we have an ongoing refurbishment program in place.

I will pass on your lovely comments to Katie and Jeanette.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Director of Operations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gateshead
Malmaison Newcastle
Malmaison Newcastle
#16 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephenson Quarter
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephen...
#8 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
#7 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
The Vermont Hotel
The Vermont Hotel
#23 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to Hilton Newcastle Gateshead? Share your experiences!