“For the price not impressed”

Hilton Newcastle Gateshead
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I booked this hotel as was under the impression that the use of the facilities and fabulous service would be well worth the cost, as it was a birthday treat I wanted it to be special. Upon arriving we were assigned a room there was no mention of our request for an upgrade to a river view and after enquiring was told no there isn't your room has already been assigned. The family room whilst spacious lacked some finishing touches, only enough cups, water and pillows for 2 despite there being 3 guests, the beds were like rocks and the room temp seemed to hot or to cold despite the air con but then couldn't get the temperature gauge to move must have been broken. Was slightly frustrated at being left waiting at the reception desk whilst staff walked past when wanting some towels to use for the very small pool,eventually having to stop someone in their tracks to get attention. The room service and the food was a good standard, although the breakfasts decidedly just average, all in all not as impressed and as satisfied as should have been for the price.

Room Tip: If you express an interest in a room upgrade perhaps follow up with a phone call otherwise it's...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Lindsey R, Executive Office at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Nicky B

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead.

We were obviously disappointed that certain aspects marred your stay with us. Feedback from our guests enable us to continually improve and exceed our standards. To this end we have shared your comments with our Front of House and Housekeeping teams here at the hotel and offer our sincere apologies for the shortfalls you experienced.

We do hope that this will not deter you from visiting us or another Hilton again in the future.

Lindsey
Executive Office

Write a ReviewReviews (3,134)

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Very enjoyable stay. Helpful staff, rooms clean and had everything we needed. Great location. Breakfast was lovely, lots of choice. I did think it was a bit pricey for the one night we stayed, but otherwise I couldn't fault anything.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Andrew6287, Front Office Manager at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us at Hilton Newcastle.
Thank you for your kind words and feedback and I shall look forward to welcoming you back
in the near future!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

My partner and I had pleasant stay at this hotel. Friendly staff, Clean and spacious room, very handy for the city, Car Park charges were reasonable compared to other hotels we have stayed at. Will be visiting again later on this year.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Andrew6287, Front Office Manager at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

I am very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay here with us at Hilton Newcastle.

Thank you for your kind comments and feedback and I shall very much look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kindest regards

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This Hilton is one of the chain that has an Executive Lounge. Unfortunately it has been dumbed down here with a severely restricted choice of food and limiting the alcohol to to just wines and beer. Yet other similar Hiltons with the same facilities offer spirits and a much wider range of food. When I questioned this I was told it was a local decision. All well and good for them, but for me, a regular business traveller it would be nice to be able to expect that there would be consistency across the brand. Why is it that I can stay in the Hilton in Glasgow and get a wide range of food and drinks, yet go south to Newcastle and I can't, but then go to further south to Heathrow or Canary Wharf, and again receive beer, wine spirits, hot and cold food, variety of desserts et, likewise in Frankfurt.

I am part of their loyalty scheme and always try to stay with them because until recently they offered a consistent customer experience. I am now beginning to stay in other group hotels in search of the consistency they once offered.

All of this aside, I had problems checking in, a disinterested front desk manager, set the scene for a mediocre stay. Other staff I interacted with varied from being professional but distant to rude and disinterested.

I am a diamond member with c1,000,000 HH points, yet you are in the process of losing me because it would seem you are increasingly taking your customer for granted:-(

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Gareth_W_Williams
Reviewed 29 May 2014

went on Saturday the 10th of may as a birthday treat from very good friends. Had afternoon tea scones with clotted cream sandwiches cakes tea just beautiful. staff fab really looked after us have told all my friends to give it a try.Have been to quite a lot of places for afternoon tea but think this was the best.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

I am really pleased to hear that you had such a nice time celebrating your birthjday here with us at Hilton Newcastle. Thank you for your kind comments and feedback we shall look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have stayed here a few times and it still really annoys me the fact you have to pay for parking! If you are guest parking should be included, very irritating on check out when you then get stung for additional car park fees! Hotel rooms very nice and executive lounge has great views over Newcastle. Always go for a room with a view out over the River Tyne, the view from the rooms at the back of the hotel are awful.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew6287, Front Office Manager at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Jim

Many thanks for your feedback and comments about the hotel I am glad you enjoy staying

With regard to the parking we try to keep our charges as resonable as we can , I hope this

will not stop you returning in the future .

Kind Regards

Andrew .

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The outstanding customer service that we received from staff in the executive lounge from Jeanette Sweet, Melanie and James was only second to Cunard's, White Star Service - very well done to them - they are indeed the 'Face of Hilton'. Please pass on our thanks to them all.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I am very pleased to here that you enjoyed your recent stay here at with us at Hilton Newcastle.
Thankyou for your kind comments and feedback which I have passed onto my team.
We shall look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Kindest regards

Andrew

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gateshead
Malmaison Newcastle
Hampton By Hilton Newcastle
Hampton By Hilton Newcastle
#14 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephenson Quarter
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephen...
#11 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to Hilton Newcastle Gateshead? Share your experiences!