“Stuffy, grubby room. Lovely staff.”

Hilton Newcastle Gateshead
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Stuffy, grubby room. Lovely staff.”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed here for one night for a business trip. My room was on the ground floor, and was large but the carpet was dirty. None of the windows would open and the air con wouldn't go lower than 23 degrees c. I ended up being brought a fan! The next morning, my shower wouldn't work and a very lovely lady from housekeeping came to sort it out. The smart lobby does not reflect the state of the rooms, but staff couldn't be more friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Lindsey R, Executive Office at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Maia S

Please be assured that we view all feedback seriously, we do pride ourselves on our service offered and your encounter with us is certainly not to our usual normal high standards.

We have taken on board your comments regarding the room and carpets and would advise that we have an ongoing refurbishment programme in place.

We do hope that this will not deter you from visiting us or another Hilton Hotel again in the future.

Executive Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Secure parking, lovely hotel, great service, right beside the Tyne Bridge and the heart of Newcastle.

I arrived and nothing was too much trouble, I would visit agian, as I love Newcastle.

Beautiful rooms.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Lindsey R, Executive Office at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Petrina B

Many thanks for your review and feedback following your stay at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead.

We will certainly share your kind comments with the rest of the team and look forward to being able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Lindsey Rivington
Bedford
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the Hilton as we frequently travel to Newcastle to visit family and have tried most of the city centre hotels. The Hilton is I'm a great location (don't let the Gateshead address put you off, you can walk across the bridge and be in Newcastle City centre in 10mins) and is an impressive luxurious building. The room was a good size, modern with all the amenities you would expect and air conditioning, which is always something I look for as hotel rooms can be stuffy.
Based on the room, the location and the service Hilton provides, as well as getting the room on offer during one of their 'weekend away' sales, I would be giving them a rating of 5/5, however 3 things affected my experience - Carparking - despite the good location of the Hilton it's hardly right in the centre of the city, and is set in plenty of space and has room for a multilevel underground carpark. So I find it hard to see how they justify charging guests £10 a day to park there, when realistically their other transport options are fairly limited.
Food - We arrived fairly late on the first day, and were conscious that we probably wouldn't get a sitdown meal at 11pm, however the hotel does room service which we assumed would do fine. We couldn't have been more wrong! The 24hr room service menu is almost non existent (1 choice of salad, 2 types if sandwiches, 1 choice of curry). We went for what was available, since unless you are willing to go into Newcastle there is nothing around the hotel, but when it arrived found it mediocre in the extreme. Stale bread, limp salad, lukewarm soup, all for £30+ including a soft drink. I fully understand they can't employ chefs 24/7, but surely most people are capable of heating up a pizza?
On the topic of food and drink, we also paid £15 EACH for two double gin and tonics at the hotel bar. Come on Hilton, I appreciate hotel bars charge you a premium price, but there's surely a limit??
Finally, the wifi - something I keep going on about but will always expect to be free and always take a star off a hotel rating for, no matter how good the rest of my experience has been. It's simply unacceptable in 2014 to be charging guests in a luxury hotel for wifi, when most pubs and coffee shops provide it for free. If £100 a night doesn't entitle you to use the hotels wifi to check your e-mails then I don't know what does.
Overall not a bad experience, and I would even consider stating here again, but it's so frustrating to see a world class hotel , which has obviously invested so much in luxury accommodation and great staff service, to still only provide an average experience for the sake if a few simple issues.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Damien S

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead. We were obviously disappointed to learn that certain aspects did not live up to your expectations and offer our sincere apologies for this.

Unfortunately we do not own the car park and therefore the prices are not dictated by the hotel . We understand your comments regarding wifi, however can clarify that complementary wifi is available in our public areas and to our gold and diamond Hilton Honors guests, as in most other Hilton Hotels.

We have also shared your feedback regarding room service and food offering with our Executive Head Chef for him to share with his team and apologise if this did not live up to expectation.

Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Hotel itself is lovely - large rooms, plenty of space and decent TV. However, the food has to be sorted out - it's just awful! I've stayed and eaten here before with, I'm sad to say, the same experience everytime - great accommodation, but the restaurant appears to be an afterthought. First of all dinner - I arrived late and, mindful of previous dining experiences here, considered going out, but as it was getting on a bit I thought I'd risk it and hope for an improvement... only not. I had a chicken dish which was served with a slice of ham on top of the chicken and some cheese sauce... now, for £16 I'd expect to get at least a chicken breast, but it was more like a large slice! At most it was about a third of a chicken breast, one slice of ham on top and some sauce - tasteless and not seasoned. The menu had said it was served with sauteed courgettes (yum!) and there was... one slice of courgette. ONE! With one slice of onion and three slices of potato. Unbelieveable! Good think I'd ordered some chips to go with it - and for £3 you got 12 chips! Hard not to count them when there's so few! So not good at all - £21.20 for a very poor dinner (which included by lime and soda - I'll leave you to work out how much they charged for that ;-). Message for the Hilton - this isn't gourmet food so don't charge gourmet prices... Breakfast was okay, but very limited selection of hot foods and not nice - greasy, undercooked bacon, black pudding which has seen maybe a flash of a grill (cooking on both sides would also keep it a bit warmer), and underdone fried eggs. Nice to see porridge made available on the buffet though.

Room Tip: If you're only booking a room for sleeping in don't bother splurging extra on river view - j...
Dear SarahJane3611

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to Hilton Newcastle Gateshead, even when it is not the kind of review we would like to have, as feedback from our guests enable us to continually improve and exceed our standards.

We have shared your comments with our Executive Head Chef for him to share with his team and offer our sincere apologies for this experience.

We do hope that you will give us the opportunity of visiting us again.

Malton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Just what you would expect.......clean, modern, great service, lovely flower arrangements. The lifts work well and speak nicely to you as you glide up and down the building; beautiful people, girls in impossibly high heels, totter into taxis helped by rich young men.
Now the real stuff.....
Gluten free food isn't labelled on the menu but they know their stuff in the kitchens...no problems.
A basic glass of red wine costs £9.30 a glass...ouch. On the plus side they give you a vast vat of pea nutty nibbles.....kept my husband happy!
Location has views of three iconic bridges and is within spitting distance of the Sage Arena.
Breakfast is a help yourself festival of food........unless you are a gluten free sufferer. For the rest of you I suspect a minimum of three to four breakfast forays will be sufficient.....got to get value for money!
Room 429 was really smelly......like prawns that have spent too much time in the sun. I mentioned it, as a 'complaint' , when we checked out and they acknowledged that several rooms have this problem and they are investigating it. No discount was offered.
Air conditioning.......no windows can be opened for fresh air and the air conditioning is noisy and dries you out.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Juliet T

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and thank you for your detailed comments. Feedback from our guests enables us to continually improve and exceed our standards.

We look forward to being able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is such a shame as it's the first negative review I have had to write. We arrived to stay on a business booking to find that they had no record of our reservation. After quite sometime it was found due to their recording a hilarious mis spelling of my surname in-spite of it being correct on the confirmation etc etc. No big deal, but rather than laughing or apologising the receptionist looked like we had tried to mug her. Next difficulty. The booking was a corporate booking but they insisted on taking full payment for the room on my credit card also to be refunded on departure. Stay weekly on on business in hotels and never come across this before. Never mind. So up to the room, unpack relax, nice river view, perfectly comfortable. Use the loo, it's broken. Ring down and reception explains as it's Sunday there is no maintenance. Totally understand. We will have to move rooms. No prob but please could we still have a river view room. No. There are none available. It's a Sunday. They are all fully booked. Ok. Give us ten mins to pack and we will call down and arrange to get the keys. On our second phone call and asking please can you not find us a river room, they did. Great. The keys are bought up kindly, but absolutely no apology for the inconvenience. Up we go. This would have been a good opportunity for an upgrade offer. No chance!! Room fine. We need internet as this is a business trip. Ring down and it's a £14.99 charge. Ok, my company cover this but it seems a bit ridiculous in a business hotel in this day and age. We tried every combination of names room numbers and passwords and no luck. One I pad would at least find the net work, the other wouldn't , but the problem was we had to ring down to receptor four times to ask four help and this took 50 minutes as no one was answering on reception. To be fair the receptionist tried her best to help when the phone was answered and did apologise. Not her fault personally of course!
I know I sound like a typical grouch that has too much time on their hands and loves to complain! I promise I am not. It's the first negative review I have had to write. I stay in Hiltons a lot, particularly in Germany and this one falls way below standard. My wife had booked this hotel for a personal stay later in the year but we have cancelled. It's not the end of the world, it's just an unsatisfactory stay in a hotel at the end of the day, but try the hotel Du Vin over the river. It's great.

Room Tip: River views are really lovely
2 Thank Neil D
Dear Neil D

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead, even when it is not the kind of review we would like to have as it helps us to improve our service and enables us to offer our guests a memorable experience.

Please accept our apologies for the shortfalls in service which you experienced as this is certainly not in line with our usual high standards of customer service. Your comments will be shared with our Front Office Manager in order for him to share with his team.

Dallas, United States
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The hotel looks great, overlooking the Tyne Bridge. We arrived to check-in and they told us they'd already set up an alternative room as our booked room wasn't ready yet. It was considered an upgrade and it was a relatively large room, but on entry, we were struck by a strong smell of nicotine, which didn't create a great first impression. The rest of the stay was fine, but I expected a bit more from a Hilton. The pay-as-you-go Wi-Fi was ridiculous, something like $20 a day. I'd expect the Hilton to provide free wi-fi. Still, a good stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Steve H

Please accept our apologies for the smell of nicotine in your room, unfortunately some of our guests do not adhere to our no-smoking policy. We note your comments regarding internet and can clarify that complementary wifi is available in our public areas, as in most other Hilton Hotels.

Executive Office
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gateshead
Malmaison Newcastle
Malmaison Newcastle
#15 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephenson Quarter
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephen...
#7 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Jurys Inn Newcastle Gateshead Quays
Ramada Encore Newcastle-Gateshead
Hampton By Hilton Newcastle
Hampton By Hilton Newcastle
#14 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre

Been to Hilton Newcastle Gateshead? Share your experiences!