“Best Japanese restaurant in Newcastle” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ikuze - CLOSED

Ikuze
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Sushi
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Japanese restaurant in Newcastle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

This is the first time i visit Ikuze (havent been to Metro centre for years), ordered a mix tempura bento box each with my friend and roast pork belly to share.
Pork belly was delicious, slightly crispy on the rind side, soft juicy meat full of flavour.
Presentation of the bento box was good, tempura is crispy with its light coatingand not oily at all, veg, salmon and the prawn were all good quality. I personally like the fried rice offered but i think some dishes like teriyaki salmon might be better with plain rice, i will have to try later. The quality if miso soup is not bad as a bento soup (can be better though), the only thing i didnt quite like were the pickles mixed together with the leaf salad, seemed kind of out of place even though i enjoy eating veg, i think either pickles or salad only will do just fine. Also the apple dessert on the day was so so, hopefully there will be something better next time i visit (i honestly think a few small slices of fresh fruit taste better as dessert...).
Will be visiting again and try other food on the menu!

Cambois Northumberland
“My FIRST Japanese meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Fab seating areas and service is second to none. Excellent product knowledge and THE ONLY place in the North East that I have seen Wagyu Beef on the menu. The Beef was out of this world and the Japanese Pork Belly simply divine, it was all brought together by the fabulous garlicky rice. The Green Tea Ice Cream (served in a great bowl made in ICE) was both refreshing and decadent.
I don't know why I waited so long to try my first Japanese meal!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank JulieHobbs
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Always tended to walk past and not venture in, but that changed on Saturday and I've been kicking myself ever since as I have missed out on some truely tasty food . I went for the lunch time Bento box. The food was fresh and plenty of it and at 10 pound was worth the money as the amount of food was staggering. Will be definitely going back

1 Thank NewcastleNeil
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Fabulous - I can't wait to go again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Visited today and must say I now have a new favourite restaurant !

We have visited yo sushi many times and have not even noticed this restaurant before . Now I don't think we'll go back to yo sushi ever again!

The set meals ' bento boxes ' are normally £12.90 but today ( Saturday ) before 4pm they were £10.50.

I had the sushi bento box, and my husband had the chicken teriyaki . The quality of food was outstanding . Loved the whole experience and we will certainly be back ! You gotta try this place! X

Newcaslte Upon Tyne
“Go on try it - you know you want too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I've walked past this restaurant several times without paying much attention to it and always opted for the usual franchises but my husband and I decided to give it a go and we are so pleased we did!
Inside you will find one half is a Japanese layout with completely different décor to the other half. The staff are very friendly and attentive. My husband ordered a chicken teriyaki bento box and I ordered teppan-yaki chicken and fried rice and we also had some deep fried sushi. The food was a taste sensation. With 2 bottles of water the whole lot came to under £30 and we will definitely be going back soon.

• Visited April 2014