“IT'S ALL ABOUT THE FOOD AND SERVICE”
Review of Miji

Miji
Ranked #51 of 272 Restaurants in Gateshead
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Although we live very close to Miji, we've never been before, partly because they don't advertise and, as it is set back from the road on a difficult stretch, we drivers don't really notice it, just the sign board at the road's edge. But my wife and I popped in yesterday evening to give it a try and also with an extra motive. You see, we have used an excellent Chinese take-away in Burnopfield, three miles from us, for some years but it changed hands recently as in now less of an attraction to us. So we were looking for a replacement take-away and were told that Miji offers this service as well as being a proper restaurant.

My review here contains no startling revelations as I agree with most of that which other reviewers said but, to confirm.....

At 6:30pm on a Friday evening, this restaurant had only one other table occupied; not usually a good sign. The décor is quite odd as there has been no effort to change this from the pub it was just a while ago to a Chinese restaurant; it still feels like a pub and it has very little ambience. The tables are, however, set a decent distance apart so, if there ever were to be more than a few customers, your privacy is assured.

The menu contains fewer selections than is often the case in similar establishments but what there is is perfectly adequate and you will soon realise that everything you want really is there. There is also a 'specials' board that I can assure you really is special.

We skipped a starter and went straight to mains of king prawns in an excellent curry sauce (much nicer than a usual Chinese curry) for my wife and I chose the fresh scallops from the 'specials' menu. I may have had better meals than this in my life but I've never had better scallops; they were perfectly cooked to a succulent texture and flavour and accompanied by a ginger and onion sauce sufficiently delicate to not overpower the scallops. Delicious!

Then there's the service. A swift, efficient and very friendly welcome from the young waitress followed by quick and attentive delivery of drinks while we selected. A protracted chat about the 'specials' and the products in general quickly showed the waitress to be passionate and knowledgeable about her food as she waxed lyrical about the freshness of the produce. We even had a discussion about the sourcing of the fresh ginger! Form the look and flavour of our meals, I'd say that she wasn't exaggerating Miji's commitment to fresh produce.

We were then visited by the owner Kelly (well, actually, So Fun Loa to everyone except lazy Brits who can't manage Chinese names) and, before we left, we were fast friends. For us, even quick bites like this are judged as a whole event and this level of friendly and helpful service just makes for a much more pleasant experience. Add to that the very best of Chinese food and this place is a gem.

I suspect that the mystery of why such a star of a restaurant is so poorly attended lies in the cost. Our meal for two, plus three, small, drinks came to some £34. I'm happy to pay that for a meal of this quality but it's two or three times as much as if I'd ordered the same things as a take-away. While we sat there, lots of people came in to collect take-aways (there is a separate menu) so my guess is that folk do appreciate the good food but prefer the lower cost of eating it at home. The good news for us is that we have, certainly, found our new take-away!

If you're in the area, or even if you're not, go ahead and give Miji a try; you'll love it.

There are newer reviews for Miji

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I am very pleased i decided to go here with my husband and children for my birthday on Saturday 8th march 2014. The whole visit was faultless, fab service, delicious food, good prices, clean restaurant, all you could ask for really. Will definitely recommend and definitely be going back!

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We went with friends for a mid-week evening meal and it was the best Chinese meal I've had for ages. The restaurant is unusual inside, having been a pub and still with the bar and some of the seating, but it works well and has some nice features like open fireplaces. The service was friendly and the food was excellent, really good portions and some unusual items on the menu. I had the mixed starter (ribs, won tons, prawn toast, seaweed, chicken satay, little spring rolls - I just wish I'd shared it with someone because it was huge. More than enough for two, if you want to leave room for your main course. I had roast duck in plum sauce which is served in a bird's nest (potato, if you've never had it before) and was delicious. The only odd thing was, no chopsticks - it seemed strange eating with knives and forks. Drinks are a decent price and overall the value for money was very good. We're planning to go back next weekend and take more friends with us.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We received a friendly service and superb fresh food. The menu offers a range of authentic Chinese dishes. Everybody in our party enjoyed their meal and found the food to be extremely fresh and high quality, as well as being excellent value for money. Best local Chinese restaurant, matches any city centre Chinese restaurants. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

My husband and I visited at the end of December for a meal out. We ordered king prawn in honey and chilli sauce and lamb curry along with various starters. The starter portions were huge and when the main arrived it was amazing the nicest Chinese I have ever eaten. The staff were friendly and attentive and on Saturday we ordered a take out for the whole family as we were so impressed. The whole family are now fans and this will now be a regular haunt of ours I think. It was quite empty early on when you sit in and should be full every night for the quality a definite hidden gem.