“Top Notch Food And Service”
Review of Miji - CLOSED

Miji
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I took my family along to Miji's on a Saturday night, with the table booked for 8 o'clock. On arrival we were welcomed at the door and shown to our table. As previously stated the restaurant bears little or no resemblance to a traditional Chinese eatery, however the decor isn't that bad and the place was spotlessly clean and comfortable (although my bench seat did creak a lot)!

After ordering we were promptly served with our drinks, and in no time at all after we ordered the meal it arrived at our table. The food was delicious, and although I didn't think it was a large serving I struggled to finish it. The restaurant was reasonably busy, but not crowded, and the people around us seemed very happy with their meals and the service. Prices weren't cheap, but nor were they overly expensive.

All in all if you want a great meal, with a good level of service, I would strongly recommend Miji's If you prefer traditional Chinese decor then head for Stowell Street!

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We went here for the 1st time yesterday and when we walked in we very nearly walked straight back out... it's in what was a pub and inside it still looks very much like an old man's pub. You are greeted with the bar the moment you walk in and looking around it can only be described as a bit grim. The tables are horrible and the chairs not much better, the whole ambiance when you set foot through the door is not good. I appreciate this is a small business and they probably have spent a lot setting up, but it doesn't feel or look like a Chinese restaurant, it looks like an old man's pub!

We were shown to a table around the other side of the bar which was a bit nicer, same horrible tables but there were some plants on the window ledge (orchids) and a couple of Chinese decorations on the wall... all in all a tiny bit nicer but still not great, our expectation of the food at this point was not very good.

Saying all that the food was actually nice, we had the duck starter to share which was nice, slightly greasy but lots of it, then I had Beef Satay and my Wife Pork in a Mandarin sauce... both good. The menu is rather uninspiring with mostly what you would get in a takeaway on there, although better to eat than a takeaway, I kind of feel that if the restaurant wants to attract people on a regular basis they need to offer something more interesting and exciting, it just was very much your bog standard 'sweet and sour pork', 'Kung Po Chicken' etc etc which you can get from any and every restaurant or takeaway. I would love to see some more traditional or interesting Chinese dishes on there.

Service was good, maybe a touch on the slow side but overall good and friendly.

Would I go back? Maybe, if they updated the décor and actually made it feel like a Chinese restaurant, which includes ditching the pop music (not being sung by the actual singer who made the song famous) and added some pizzazz to the menu. However they do takeaway and I'll definitely be buying that way in the future.

Overall good but let down by a few things that could easily be changed

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We were delighted with the food that we had at Miji's last Thursday night. Really tasty, good sized portions, well presented and reasonably priced. We will definitely be going back, for take always and to eat in. So glad to have found such lovely Chinese food so close to where we live.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Living locally, I went along to the Miji with family. The service was excellent and the quality of the food was tip top. Family eat mainly in London and the south east, and they found the sauces to be amongst the best that they'd ever sampled - praise indeed! I would recommend the Miji to anyone who puts food and service above all else on an evening out.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Living locally and having read the reviews we decided to give this restaurant a visit . This was formerly a pub and the interior has hardly altered and consequently doesn't have the "normal" decor of a chinese restaurant. Our visit was at 7pm on a friday evening and there was only another half dozen diners. By the time we left at 9pm the place was empty. I therefore dont need to comment on the atmosphere!!
As for the food, perhaps we made the wrong choice in the set banquet for 4 but apart from the duck starter which was plentiful and tasty the remaining dishes were predominantly cooked in batter and with a lack of sauces was fairly bland.
Service was good but given the lack of customers it was to be expected.
I doubt that we will return.