“Excellent!!!!”

Ranked #43 of 268 Restaurants in Gateshead
Price range: US$5 - US$63
Cuisines: British, Wine Bar, Bar, European, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Bank Restaurant and Bar is set in the former Grade 2 listed Lloyds Bank building in the heart of Low Fell high. In November 1841 Tomas Wilson, a poet of considerable repute in Gateshead, opened the Literary Rooms on Durham Road. Created by architect Thomas Oliver of Newcastle and build by Thomas Liddell of Lowfell, the upper section of the building was used as a school for the local children until the opening of a new school on a site at Kells Lane in 1895.The building was taken over by Lloyds Bank which closed in the late 1990's. The Building has now been recently refurbished and opened as The Bank Restaurant and Bar. Providing a New Chef, New Menu and great staff.
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Excellent!!!!”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Enjoyed yet another lovely meal at The bank!
Big thanks to the assistant restaurant manager (sorry cant remember his name) who looked after us! Also the chefs wife (cant remember name) who was lovely. Staff were really helpfull and the service was faultless!
Prawns to start.....cooked perfectly!
Chicken wrapped in parma ham.....tender and really tasty (maybe could do with some greens with this dish but thats just being picky on my part)
Brownie with pistachio ice cream.....perfect!!! also creme brulee really good!

Chef is a credit to the place, Im looking forward to visiting again and trying some more of his delicious food. Im not sure why a lot of people comment its expensive as I found it very reasonable, the produce they use for the dishes are top quality and that makes the difference.

I will definately make this one of my regular places to visit!

• Visited June 2013
TheBankBarBistro, General Manager at The Bank Bar Bistro, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Thank you for the lovely comments - I'm really please you enjoyed yourself and hope to see you again very soon

Tyneside
“Lovely lunch on a horrible day”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

low Fell is usually buzzing on a Saturday but with the monsoon last weekend the streets were awash with water and not people. My daughter and I splashed our way to the Bistro and found we were the only diners ..... For a short while,
. After reading reviews about it being expensive the set price lunch was appealing and we both had delicious pea and mint soup to start. I have to agree with previous reviews that vegetarian choice is limited.... And as I did not want the meal on the set price menu my meal was more expensive .the potato gnocchi I had was lovely but why could it not have been on the set price?
Staff are attentive but not overly so and the decor is lovely . Having lived on Low Fell for many years I have frequently visited the bank when it was a bank.
In our feedback we both said we would have liked a little something with our coffee...
I will certainly go back .... I hope it flourishes as it is an asset to Low Fell

• Visited May 2013
TheBankBarBistro, General Manager at The Bank Bar Bistro, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thank you for you response - we hope to see you again - keep a look out for menu changes
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Best steak ever”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

when making a reservation the lady I spoke to was very friendly and helpful.I arrived earlier than my friend, I was greeted with a smile and taken to a table.
Excellent waitress service with knowledge of the different drinks and flavours ( as was unsure on which cidre to have).
I loved the decor and the ambience of the place. A lot of detail has been taken from the fresh flowers on the table to the adorable hand wash / cream in the toilets.
Again my friend and I were unsure what to have as the menu all looked and sounded delious. The waiter recommended the steak, which I have to say is the best I have ever had; cooked to perfection.
Wasn`t going to have a pudding but the dessert menu sounded so tempting. I was so glad I did the sticky toffee pudding was to die for!
A lovely experience will definetly be dinning here again

• Visited May 2013
Thanks for the lovely comments. More steak choices to come - keep a look out for the new menu
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“A treat in Low Fell”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

My husband and I had a lovely lunch at the bank today. The set menu is great value at £9.95 for two courses.

The staff were friendly and the atmosphere was welcoming.

We look forward to our next visit.

Thank you for the comments - Don't forget TDH menu changes weekly
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Poor choice for vegetarians.”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

The restaurant and bar are decorated beautifully, the bar area downstairs was absolutely packed.

I think the bouncer on the door is off putting and unnecessary.

Unfortunately this restaurant does not cater very well for vegetarians and has very limited choice so felt as though I just had to make do.

The wine was very expensive considering the % won't be returning which is a shame as its our local, we will sick with Eslington villa in the future.

• Visited April 2013
Thank you for you review. The new menu has a lot more choice for Veggies. We have a doorman on at the weekend who works along side a hostess to make sure we don't get overcrowded. The wine list starts at £14.00/bottle which is very reasonable - It's a shame you wont consider us in the future.