“Burns night with very little from poor Rabbie himself...”
Review of Ravensworth Arms

Ravensworth Arms
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
“Burns night with very little from poor Rabbie himself...”
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

It had been over fifteen years since I'd been to a 'Burns Night' - a Scottish tradition for many years and as I love any excuse to don some tartan whilst munching haggis, I was *really* looking forward to this after my cousin had suggested this as a venue for his wife's birthday.
I looked up the menu online a week before the event and it looked delicious and very reasonably priced; 19.95 for four courses and, all traditional fayre. I was sold.

On arriving, the place was clearly booked solid, lots of tables set with tartan napkins etc so, again, promising. I started the night with a pint of 'Robbie Burns Brown Ale' - splendidly kept, it was absolutely delicious - an afternoon to spent on that in the future methinks.
Our table was booked for 7:30 and we were sat for around then - but it was some time before our order was taken - a good forty minutes however, none of us cared (ten sat at the table) as it had been a while since we'd all seen each other and it gave the chance for a good catch up.

Then, cue the pipers! Ah yes, this was the stuff - a quintet of traditional Scottish music playing throughout the restaurant so that everyone could get a glance and an earful.
Brilliant. This got the night off to a great start - despite the wait to order.

Alas - the 'Burns' theme ended there.
Alright, the pipers came back for another fifteen to twenty minute slot but - that was that. Now, maybe I'm being pedantic, but I'm used to a slice of theatre with such a night; and Burns night allows for that. I longed for the vital 'Ode to Haggis' complete with dagger and wee dram to be bellowed by a highland raconteur.
Nothing.
The food, whilst tasty, did take a while between courses; several of our party mentioned that their main course was "just warm", not hot, indeed, "as if it's been standing waiting for the other food to catch up".
A feasible assumption since it wasn't only the Burns' menu that was on offer that night - as one would expect, the regular menu was also available and you could order anything from any menu.
Mixing and matching on menus like that all night - I imagine the kitchen was intense to say the least.
I will re-iterate however, the food was delicious. I ate everything.
Another disappointing part of the evening was, alas, that the bar closed at the regular 11pm slot - having eaten as much as we did, we were all ready to spend, spend, spend on traditional whisky - but there was no time for that, especially as the bar person informed me that "I like to get to bed at a decent hour".
I see.
In summary, the food was great, the staff were (mostly) polite and courteous and with a little more attention to detail this night could have been unforgettable.
A finish of 1am, readings from Burns' poetry, bring the pipers and their music back at the end of the night allowing for a jig or two, and I'll absolutely be back.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Newcastle, UK
Reviewed 31 January 2014

My friend and I ate lunch there this week. We sat down and were told the menus were on the table, which they were. However, as it was a mid-week lunch I'd expect there to be lunchtime specials - after asking the staff we were (very pleasantly) handed the special menu. I'd like to see those on the table.

Food-wise it was really tasty. I had mushroom on brioche, followed by a fab lasagne and ended with roasted pineapple with lime and mint yoghurt, which was disappointing as was my friend's strawberry shortcake - which was a shame as the rest of the menu had been lovely. If you're not a pudding person though, this might not matter.

All in all though we were very happy with our trip: food was tasty, £12 for three courses is a very good price and the staff were really friendly and attentive.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

We have just had an extremely enjoyable evening celebrating my mams birthday, Catherine made us feel very welcome and the food was faultless. A lovely relaxed atmosphere, looking forward to our next visit xx

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Joanne J
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

Heard many good things about meals at the Ravensworth Arms so decided to give it a go, wish we hadn't bothered. Our waitress was extremely polite and helpful and recommended spicy parsnip soup as a starter. It was superb so naturally presumed the main course would be of the same standard. It wasn't. We waited approx 25 minutes between courses, but it was not worth the wait. Over cooked carrots, raw sprouts, broccoli you could not get your knife through and the soggiest Yorkshire pudding ever. My plate was swimming in gravy but my wife's plate was virtually dry, not give an option of a gravy boat. Would we return ? Absolutely not !!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Cheshire
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel is tastefully furnished, staff friendly, food great. Room quiet, with excellent view across fields and to the angel of the north. En suite bathroom bright and tasteful, and whole room and hotel very clean. BUT heard footsteps walking round the room all night!

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Janutd
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

First class food and service. four of us called in. for starters we had two soups and two of the bubble and squeak both were very good. For our main course the two girls both had chicken breast wrapped in bacon served with salad and chips. I went for the honey covered belly pork served with roasted peppers and potatoes, I can say that this was extremely good and my friend had the gourmet burger served with salad chip's and best battered onion rings ever. To finish off the girls had ice cream, tea and a coffee. Also a good selection of real ales on offer. Well worth a visit.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Whickham Tyne and Wear
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My wife and l called here last night without prior booking as we had made a last minute decision to go there. Easy parking and a good welcome got the evening off to a good start and this continued, The fish pie was the best of the year for my wife and my belly pork was top class. Both were well presented and the staff were all excellent The house wine was fine and the rivetcatcher
real ale from the Jarrow brewery was well kept and illustrated why it is so well rated both in the NE and wherever it is sold. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WAG1940
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gateshead
Beamish Park Hotel
Eslington Villa
Eslington Villa
#2 of 20 in Gateshead
Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre

Been to Ravensworth Arms? Share your experiences!