“Outstanding” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ravensworth Arms

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ravensworth Arms
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
Cramlington, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed here on the 21/2/14 from the moment we walked in the staff were warm and welcoming.
Our room was immaculate. The food was beautiful hot and well presented and lots of it, in fact my husband said he had never been that full before after a meal. The staff were polite and kind and nothing was to much for them. You got the impression it was a lovely place to work and everyone was happy. The manger I would like to thank for her outstanding team and service. I would highly recommend this hotel for stay or for pub food. We will be back as it was fantastic .

Room Tip: We had room 6 which was very large.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stayed here on business. its an out of the way hotel and looks like an old coaching house. I dropped luck and got upgraded to the 4 poster bedroom. The room was nicely decorated and in good condition, however the bathroom was a little dated. The staff were extremely helpful. I chose to dine here, the bar is well stocked with a variety of real ales and the usual branded beers. There were deals available on the menu, which was standard pub grub fare. unfortunately I had to send my main course back as they initially over cooked my steak, then sent it back with cold fries. finally it came back as ordered. The waiting staff could not be more apologetic. I would probably stop here again as its convenient for work, I may choose to eat else where

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Absolutely fantastic night the food as ever was absolutely First class "top marks to the Chef" and of course the staff as always very helpful nothing is a bother I have been coming here for a few years now and it get better and better a fab place to eat.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Stayed on a Saturday , the food was nice and not too expensive .The staff all very pleasant . Its nice to near near the city but in a quiet area away from it .The setting is quite rural and looks over to the Angel of the north and opposite front entrance is a gate which leads to a bird hide ,you get the key to this from the bar .My room was in the block accross from main hotel ,it was very nice and clean . I will use again if I'm in area

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Chester-le-Street, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

My hubby and I went along to the Ravensworth Jazz Night which was quite an achievement as he is not into jazz. What a brilliant night. The staff were all dressed up as either gangsters (white shirt, black trousers and Panama hats) or in 40's flapper dresses, with head band and feathers and lots of long strings of pearls. What a great atmosphere! They looked fantastic.
The band were dressed as a 40's band and played Trad Jazz, which was great. People were singing along too. We both really enjoyed the music.
The food, as always was superb. We both had different kinds of steak and both meals were absolutely delicious.
We also visited the Ravensworth on Burns Night and also had a splendid night. Once again, the staff embraced the moment (as did my Hubby) and dressed in kilts of various tartans. There was a piper and drummer band which were so good and made the evening even more of a real Burns celebration.
The menu was very authentic too, with a wonderful vegetable soup, then traditional neeps, tatties and haggis, followed by venison, then a chocolate torte which I couldn't eat as I was so full, but our other guests all said it was fab.
The staff are wonderful, especially the Manager and Manageress, Paul and Sharon, who make you feel so welcome.
Many of my friends also share my opinion of 'The Ravie', as we fondly call it.
I wouldn't change anything, it's my favourite place to go.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Avril W
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

It had been over fifteen years since I'd been to a 'Burns Night' - a Scottish tradition for many years and as I love any excuse to don some tartan whilst munching haggis, I was *really* looking forward to this after my cousin had suggested this as a venue for his wife's birthday.
I looked up the menu online a week before the event and it looked delicious and very reasonably priced; 19.95 for four courses and, all traditional fayre. I was sold.

On arriving, the place was clearly booked solid, lots of tables set with tartan napkins etc so, again, promising. I started the night with a pint of 'Robbie Burns Brown Ale' - splendidly kept, it was absolutely delicious - an afternoon to spent on that in the future methinks.
Our table was booked for 7:30 and we were sat for around then - but it was some time before our order was taken - a good forty minutes however, none of us cared (ten sat at the table) as it had been a while since we'd all seen each other and it gave the chance for a good catch up.

Then, cue the pipers! Ah yes, this was the stuff - a quintet of traditional Scottish music playing throughout the restaurant so that everyone could get a glance and an earful.
Brilliant. This got the night off to a great start - despite the wait to order.

Alas - the 'Burns' theme ended there.
Alright, the pipers came back for another fifteen to twenty minute slot but - that was that. Now, maybe I'm being pedantic, but I'm used to a slice of theatre with such a night; and Burns night allows for that. I longed for the vital 'Ode to Haggis' complete with dagger and wee dram to be bellowed by a highland raconteur.
Nothing.
The food, whilst tasty, did take a while between courses; several of our party mentioned that their main course was "just warm", not hot, indeed, "as if it's been standing waiting for the other food to catch up".
A feasible assumption since it wasn't only the Burns' menu that was on offer that night - as one would expect, the regular menu was also available and you could order anything from any menu.
Mixing and matching on menus like that all night - I imagine the kitchen was intense to say the least.
I will re-iterate however, the food was delicious. I ate everything.
Another disappointing part of the evening was, alas, that the bar closed at the regular 11pm slot - having eaten as much as we did, we were all ready to spend, spend, spend on traditional whisky - but there was no time for that, especially as the bar person informed me that "I like to get to bed at a decent hour".
I see.
In summary, the food was great, the staff were (mostly) polite and courteous and with a little more attention to detail this night could have been unforgettable.
A finish of 1am, readings from Burns' poetry, bring the pipers and their music back at the end of the night allowing for a jig or two, and I'll absolutely be back.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Newcastle, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

My friend and I ate lunch there this week. We sat down and were told the menus were on the table, which they were. However, as it was a mid-week lunch I'd expect there to be lunchtime specials - after asking the staff we were (very pleasantly) handed the special menu. I'd like to see those on the table.

Food-wise it was really tasty. I had mushroom on brioche, followed by a fab lasagne and ended with roasted pineapple with lime and mint yoghurt, which was disappointing as was my friend's strawberry shortcake - which was a shame as the rest of the menu had been lovely. If you're not a pudding person though, this might not matter.

All in all though we were very happy with our trip: food was tasty, £12 for three courses is a very good price and the staff were really friendly and attentive.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gateshead
Beamish Park Hotel
#13 of 20 in Gateshead
BEST WESTERN Beamish Hall Hotel
Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre
Jurys Inn Newcastle Gateshead Quays

Been to Ravensworth Arms? Share your experiences!