“Could be better”

Bowes Incline Hotel
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
“Could be better”
Reviewed 15 May 2013 via mobile

Visited here for the 1st time today for lunch. No food menu on any table, you had to go beside the bar and look on the wall!. There wasn't anything on the menu that appealed to me and too be honest the prices are ridiculous, so I opted for a Thai steak wrap and salad. The salad was out of a packet with a tomato cut in half. I opened up the wrap and there was a few strips of steak inside with cut up vegetables and it was covered in sauce and was really soggy. I ate a strip of steak which never tasted of Thai, overal £6.95 for a soggy wrap and packet salad, shocking, 1st and last visit

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank livelifetothemax1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2013

After a terrible night in another hotel nearby I found the Bowes Incline and booked in for three nights. I could not have asked for more, the staff were friendly and efficient, the hotel/restaurant were really well presented. Recently refurbished the whole experience was great. I would definitely stay here again when I return to the area - highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BJD0505
Sheffield
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We have just spent bank holiday weekend at the Bowes Incline. Our welcome was very friendly and although we missed reception and entered by the pub we were impressed by our welcome and quickly shown to our room. The room was clean and comfortable with what appeared to be a newly refurbished bathroom, no bath but excellent shower. Lovely soft towels. The food is excellent and we were tempted to eat in the hotel on both nights. There is a wide choice of menu with some unusual dishes, not your common type of pub food. Worthy of mention are the succulent mussels. Full English breakfast is served at the table and sets you up for the day.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlook the motorway, but noise is bearable if window is closed.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cruiseer
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The room was clean and comfortable, the shower good and the service excellent. When we ran out of the little pots of UHT milk in our room, we were immediately offered a large jug of fresh milk - so much nicer for a good cuppa! The restaurant is great - lots of choice of interesting dishes, and cask beers at the bar. The portion size will challenge the heartiest appetites - I could never manage a starter or dessert. Although the back of the hotel overlooks the nearby main road, this is not prominent and we enjoyed the views of the distant hills from our bedroom. We did not notice the traffic noise at night - but in hot weather, with the windows open, this could be a drawback. The hotel is just a few miles from the Beamish Museum.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joyce S
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night while travelling with work and it was great. The hotel is a bit off the beaten track so you need a car to get anywhere but that wasn't a problem for me. I arrived and was greeted by a very friendly receptionist. The room was newly refurbished and had a double and a single bed. My stay was comfortable and I got a great night's sleep. I can't comment on the pub or food as I only ate some toast on my way out in the morning.

Overall a hassle free, relaxing stay. I will definitely return and would thoroughly recommend the Bowes Incline.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank PeakDistrict123
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Lovely pub with hotel attached. Friendly staff and nice rooms. Please be aware the rooms do not have an air condition and therefore if it is summer you must open the windows to cool the room but the hotel is very close to the motorway and the noise is annoying.
Also the noise by the bathrooms from the neighbors is recognizable.
The food is brilliant and absolutely to recommend.

• Stayed April 2013
Blaydon on Tyne
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We have been to the Bowes Incline a number of times and we have never been disappointed. There is always a great selection of choices from the large blackboard as well as the traditional Sundays lunches.

The food is always of a high quality and there is a large selection of beers and wines as well as a couple of guest beers.

In in all, somewhere that I've always recommended and will continue to do so. Enjoy your visit and don't let its out of the way existence put you off.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple