All reviews huge portions bit off the beaten track lamb shank sunday lunch sat nav pub food main meal chef's specials bit out of the way excellent shower lovely hotel plenty of parking visiting family piping hot few drinks full english lots of choice
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Booked this at the very last minute and had some issues with my new sat nav, (not hotels fault). But once we found it there was plenty of parking available, check in was swift, friendly and hassle free. Room was cleaned to a high standard, nice and very warm with usual facilities, bed was a bit soft for me, but my missus thought it was really comfy. we ate in the restaurant which is good, really good, but you have to order at the bar, which means its a pub serving good food, not a restaurant as there is no table service. My starter of black pudding was a bit cold, but my wife's garlic mushrooms were really nice. Our mains of chilli and nacho's plus fish and chips were also very good, the fish and chips were a much larger meal and better for people with large appetites.
We found breakfast was excellent with really attentive service and there were no surprises at checkout. All in all we would recommend this hotel and will return.

Room Tip: Not a room tip, but you can see hotel from the A1 on the left when travelling south, so if your sat Nav takes you right off the A1, ignore it and then follow the signs for the Hotel. Good luck
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Curiously secluded despite being close to the main road. Easily seen and found down the end of a narrow lane (Northside - warning for satnav users - there are two "Northside"s. The hotel is on the north side of the main road, not the other side of the road, just aim to get around the back).

Very friendly and helpful staff. The room I was in was on the front of the hotel and was clean with a splendid bathroom (marble tiled and modern shower). Blackout blind on the side window was a thoughtful touch as there are bright bluish flood lights illuminating the outside. I overlooked the A1 and could clearly see the Angel of the North just down the road.

The windows kept most of the road noise out. Light sleepers might like to consider asking for a room facing the back. I felt the mattress was a little in the hard side. A bedside lamp would have been nice as an alternative to the main room lights.

Breakfast was cooked to order (allow a few minutes) and was well presented with nicely browned mushrooms, bacon, tomato and sausage.

I had red snapper with jambalaya for dinner which was tasty with a generous portion of fish. All the portions are generous!

Pudding was a wonderfully tasty sticky toffee pudding with custard - very hot.

The beer (Blast) was excellent.

Very good value and I will stay again when in the area.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We called in for a meal on a Saturday afternoon and were very impressed . The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful . The meal was excellent and the portions were generous . Will be back at the first opportunity !

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We have just returned home from The Bowes Incline Hotel. We go there when visiting my son who is at Newcastle University. Once again a brilliant experience! We just love this hotel for so many reasons. It is perfect in every way with its lovely accommodation and gorgeous food!
The staff remember us every time we go there and even give us the same room each time we stay which is so nice!
My son is now in his final year at the university but luckily he has decided that when he finishes he is going to remain in Newcastle which means that we can continue to have many more stays at our favourite hotel!
A genuine thank you to Colin, Linda and the rest of the staff! See you soon!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and i stopped at this hotel for a quiet night away. Lovely staff, comfy rooms, but what i loved about this hotel was their fantastic dinner menu. It was gorgeous and the price was really reasonable for what you get. Thankyou Bowes for a lovely stay.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple