All reviews huge portions bit off the beaten track lamb shank sunday lunch sat nav pub food main meal chef's specials bit out of the way excellent shower lovely hotel plenty of parking visiting family piping hot few drinks full english lots of choice
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed at The Bowes Incline Hotel last night after attending a family 'do', in the area. So we literally required 'a bed for the night'. What a gem! 7 family members stayed in 4 rooms, they were all comfortable and spotless with fabulous showers. Before heading out to our party we met in the bar and all the meals being served looked scrummy. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. Fabulous value for money. What really makes this hotel is the staff. Everyone was attentive and nothing was too much trouble. Customer service at it's best!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights, room was a good size, tv a good size and shower fantastic.
Ate in the bar one night and food was really good and great value.
Only thing letting the hotel down was the WiFi but I had good phone signal so not the end of the world.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This is a wonderful little spot just off the A1. Check in seemless, rooms are numbered a little oddly but only took a minute to find our room. Nice space decent wardrobe, dressing table, comfy bed, tv on the wall, superb rainfall shower. We had decided to stay here as we didn't want the bonkers evening in Newcastle and what a good choice. I had read about the quality of the restaurant and we weren't disappointed. The food was simply fantastic , big portions and cooked to perfection. Washed down with a merlot it was excellent. Good nights sleep although you look out over the A1 there was no traffic noise. Breakfast again was spot on , when a place gets the little details right it makes all the difference. Cant praise this place highly enough. I will be returning next year,well as long as either Newcastle or Sunderland can stay in the premier league !!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Booked this at the very last minute and had some issues with my new sat nav, (not hotels fault). But once we found it there was plenty of parking available, check in was swift, friendly and hassle free. Room was cleaned to a high standard, nice and very warm with usual facilities, bed was a bit soft for me, but my missus thought it was really comfy. we ate in the restaurant which is good, really good, but you have to order at the bar, which means its a pub serving good food, not a restaurant as there is no table service. My starter of black pudding was a bit cold, but my wife's garlic mushrooms were really nice. Our mains of chilli and nacho's plus fish and chips were also very good, the fish and chips were a much larger meal and better for people with large appetites.
We found breakfast was excellent with really attentive service and there were no surprises at checkout. All in all we would recommend this hotel and will return.

Room Tip: Not a room tip, but you can see hotel from the A1 on the left when travelling south, so if your sat Nav takes you right off the A1, ignore it and then follow the signs for the Hotel. Good luck
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Curiously secluded despite being close to the main road. Easily seen and found down the end of a narrow lane (Northside - warning for satnav users - there are two "Northside"s. The hotel is on the north side of the main road, not the other side of the road, just aim to get around the back).

Very friendly and helpful staff. The room I was in was on the front of the hotel and was clean with a splendid bathroom (marble tiled and modern shower). Blackout blind on the side window was a thoughtful touch as there are bright bluish flood lights illuminating the outside. I overlooked the A1 and could clearly see the Angel of the North just down the road.

The windows kept most of the road noise out. Light sleepers might like to consider asking for a room facing the back. I felt the mattress was a little in the hard side. A bedside lamp would have been nice as an alternative to the main room lights.

Breakfast was cooked to order (allow a few minutes) and was well presented with nicely browned mushrooms, bacon, tomato and sausage.

I had red snapper with jambalaya for dinner which was tasty with a generous portion of fish. All the portions are generous!

Pudding was a wonderfully tasty sticky toffee pudding with custard - very hot.

The beer (Blast) was excellent.

Very good value and I will stay again when in the area.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business