All reviews fish pie the pub stained glass oldest pub gourmet burger couple pints austell brewery chorizo mushy peas lemon sole log fire lovely village excellent food stayed one night local produce visited fowey dining room
Reviewed 19 June 2018

A traditional pub with good accommodation,right in the heart of this lovely little town.Ideal for anyone who doesn't want to tackle the steep hills each day.Staff are lovely and very helpful,Good breakfast..

Room Tip: Although bathrooms have been updated,not all rooms have en suite.Be aware that the stairs are a little steepbut staff happy to carry bags.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2018

We booked a "double deluxe room" for the not inexpensive rate of £100 per night. On arrival we were taken to a large, poorly decorated family room containing a double bed and bunk beds, two large sofas and some mis matched furnishings. No en suite. We were expected to share a bathroom with goodness knows how many other guests. When I enquired if there was an en suite room available I was dealt with very curtly and told, as if I was an idiot, that the booking form showed a shared bathroom, which indeed it did. So my advice is always check the small print, and don't expect "deluxe" to mean that at The Ship Inn.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bunzmissus
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

We have been to the ship a few times and each visit the food is amazing. I had the local mussels and they were paired with a delicious creamy sauce. I was served by a friendly Australian lady called Terri and she made us feel at home. Couldn’t complain if I tried, we will be back.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2018

Given the cost was almost £90 a night, it is not worth it. The rooms are spotlessly clean, but there is no table for the tea tray, it is on the floor which is not safe as the floors are sloping and this is dangerous for boiling water!! Due to the sloping floor, my bed felt uncomfortable and hard mattress.
Very steep flights of stairs, not suitable for elderly people, no parking either.
The manager is very nice and staff very helpful, but not worth the price.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank helenhh2015
Reviewed 13 May 2018

We found the self-proclaimed great inn on the internet during our travels around Cornwall, and decided that it would be a good place to stay based on reviews.

This is not a positive review - normally when I write a bad review it is what it is - but given that the guys working this place are actually nice enough, I feel bad about writing this as it is. This is, however how it is, and it's just not good enough. This is a hole ran by (well-willing!!) amateurs, and I really can't come up with enough of a justification to tell it how it is.

Let's start with the good bits. The welcome was good, the promises great. We were particularly looking forward to dinner, which Ian had told us over the phone was the best in the area, and definitely something we'd love. Ian, the barman pointed at the menus as we came in, and said we were going to have a great meal that night.

It kinda went downhill from there.

The internet gave a price of 90 quid, and when we got there it turned out to be 100 or 110 I think - doesn't matter, but I'm people care, so make sure you get the two to match.

We had a drink in the bar, where it was clear that one of the locals was already rather the worse for wear, and quite friendly. OK, not an issue.

We took our luggage up to our room where the disappointment started. That room most likely was last decorated around the 1960s (give or take...), and had not really been cleaned that well in the mean time.
I used to live in the UK, I'm used to old buildings. I know this is an old inn, and as you'll see in our other reviews, this is NOT the only very old inn that we chose to stay in, but it was by far the worst maintained one. The bottom section of the bed looked revolting, as did the carpet (no, this is not a bare foot kind of carpet - we kept our shoes on until getting into bed that night). The pictures show the level of maintenance here very clearly - and it really is just not good enough. Black mold in the shower? No, I don't think so either, and there is no need. The floor in the shower slopes (which is fine) and moved - but not like you'd expect in an old building. More like if someone put a bit of lino over a patch of wet rot.

Anyway - my wife decided that she was OK with it in spite of me suggesting that we turn around and leave, so we went downstairs, and hung out for a little, met Ian and Dave the landlord - both nice chaps. We talked to some other people visiting the area, and it was all OK although the local drunk really needed to be controlled (for that read : "cut off and thrown out". No attempt was made to provide any level of control which was sloppy management as the guy was overly friendly, and continually interfered.
Knowing a landlord or two - I've always found that a good landlord knows when to end a nuisance.... but that didn't happen here.

Anyway - on to dinner. We grabbed a dinner menu, having been assured that our dinner was going to be the best in Fowey... only to be told after about 5 minutes that the kitchen was closed that night. After some confusion (is it open or is it closed) it was decided that the kitchen would be closed, very much like I'd read (and ignored) in another review. I guess the landlord didn't want to bother as there weren't that many other guests.... to my mind not a good way to do business - but nothing we could do anything about.

We wandered off to the King of Prussia, which is more or less nextdoor at the water's edge. We can definitely recommend that place for both atmosphere and for the quality of the food and service.

After dinner, we went back to the Ship Inn to have another drink, and guess what... the drunk's girl friend was sitting there crying. After a couple of minutes, in came the drunk, who interrupted a conversation that we'd started with some other people who were having a drink there - basically he chased them away, and in the end he chased us away. What a pain in the proverbial, and still not the slightest attempt by barman or publican to take care of him - in fact, when the drunk started hitting the barman in the head, said barman just took it and brushed it off. When he hit him over the head another couple of times, the barman threatened the drunk, but that's as far as it went. So - here we are, in a pub frequented by a drunk, his drunk girlfriend, and what was clearly "the usual crowd". If this is how this pub works, this will not last long. Unprofessional, badly run - sorry guys, but get your act together. Never mind the family and hangers on, look after your guests and get some business in there.

It's potentially a nice place. The location is not easy (no parking anywhere near - but that's the same for the entire town), and no interest in providing any "we'll get your luggage" (hint).

Nearest viable pay and display style parking appears to be at the ferry (about a 5-10 minute walk unless you have luggage, when the hilly nature of the bit of road in-between makes it hard to get from one end to the other). Unfortunately breakfast was offered from 9 onwards which is the same time they start checking the "Pay and Display" parking, meaning that you need to be at the parking lot at 0900, and not sitting down for breakfast - to make sure that you don't end up getting fined. So in the morning, not knowing if the kitchen would actually be open in the morning anyway, we woke up at 6:30, and decided that we didn't want to stay in the room, or even use the shower given the state of it. We couldn't be bothered to walk our luggage to the car and then come back just in case breakfast would happen. At that point we tried to ring the advertised phone number to pay our bill, got no answer and so left and called back later to pay.

Here are a few things that should help - the landlord seems a friendly enough chap, but things need to change for this to work. If the other rooms are in the same state as the one we were in (upper floor overlooking the church), throw a match at it and walk away. If you can clean the place, improve on the service, change the carpets, wall paper, showers, clear up the various other iffy bits in the room and make a go of it, consider being a landlord and making sure that your guests in the pub are comfortable. Throw the local drunks out, and be real. Don't close the kitchen at a whim. Get a golf cart or whatever you need to help your clients with their luggage. Start breakfast at 0730 or 0800 so that people can have breakfast and get back to their cars before the morning pay and display starts - OR do what we've found here and there and just get your guests car registrations, and get someone down to the parking lot in time to pay for the car until 11 or something - why not??

As for the pub part - Dave, be a publican, throw out the drunks, and look after your guests. The atmosphere in the pub is pleasant. The log fire was great. However, your 'friends' are chasing your guests away. I assume this is intended to be a business, not a hangout.

So: I'm sad to say that all I can report is that for us this was a reminder of the 'Fawlty Towers' effect that chases potential visitors away, and during our 9 days in the UK this was the only place that we would absolutely not return to. If we'd booked to stay here for more than the one night, we'd most certainly have left after our first. It's not worth $50 a night let along 100 quid.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple