“Wonderful building, charming staff and expensive wine”
Review of Fowey Hall

Fowey Hall
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fowey
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We enjoyed a early meal here one evening the food was excellent plain English Fare, the staff were entertaining and very polite and we enjoyed the experience. The next day we popped in just for a glass of wine and were staggered to be charged £18 for 2 glass of Marlborough Sauvignon.
Sort of think we shan't be rushing back!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank heloiseDevon
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Dear “HeloiseDevon”

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed one of our Daphne du Maurier pre-theatre suppers & found the staff polite & entertaining.

Regarding the wine pricing we have this week, just joined with a new wine supplier to give a wider range of wines available by the glass to offer a more varied selection.

If you are thinking of booking again please give me a call as I would like to take care of your booking personally.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Fowey Hall soon

Reviewed 9 May 2012

This hotel is certainly worth a visit if you're in Cornwall. The location is superb with stunning views over Fowey town. The service at the hotel was the best I've ever come across - without exception the staff were polite, helpful and efficient. There's a lovely spa facility on site with a good range of treatments and a great pool and hot tub with views over the town.
The only negative was the beds in the twin room we stayed in - probably fantastic for kids but way too small for a couple of middle aged ladies!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank paulssister
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

Dear "Paulssister"

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us & loved the location as much as we do.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Fowey Hall & will see what we can do about the size of the beds!

Warm regards

Chris Williams (General Manager)

Reviewed 9 May 2012

We really liked this hotel, it's such a beautiful place and the staff are very nice, however the service is overall very poor and the accomodation not acceptable for the price paid.
Our suite was tiny, we asked if we could be moved to a room with a bigger bed to accomodate my husband's height (from their website: Many of the rooms have antique double beds, although some of the rooms in the garden wing enjoy king size beds, for those long tall Sallys or Sams) but we did not hear anything back. I appreciate it was not possible to find another room for us, but I was very disappointed nobody bothered to let us know and we ended up spending 4 miserable nights. The real issue is room keeping: the room was dusty (cobwebs on the curtains!), the shelf in the bathroom did not get wiped clean for our entire stay, toiletries were not restocked so we had to go ask for soap, anything left outside the door to be picked up (as per instructions provided in the hotel brochure) was left until the following morning, the blankets provided for the baby looked more like rugs than something you would use to cover an infant, the changing mat in the bathroom was old and broken....
Staff were lovely but not professional.

On the plus side, the food was good, the pool nice and clean (it's a family pool) and we really enjoyed our spa treatments.
Please improve the accomodation and the roomkeeping and this will be a truly amazing place!!!

Room Tip: make sure the bed is big enough!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank luchielene

Dear 'Luchielene'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. I was pleased to read that you thought the hotel was beautiful, the pool area was nice, food good & the staff lovely, but I am sorry that the accommodation did not come up to standard.

Please do give us another chance, we bought the hotel just before Christmas and have just begun a refurbishment program that will see the entire hotel upgraded.

I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you in person in order that I can make amends. Please give me a call at the hotel at your convenience.

I hope to welcome you back to Fowey Hall soon

Kind regards

Chris Williams (General Manager)

Reviewed 8 May 2012

We had a very uncomfortable night sleep with a duvex too small for the size of the 2 single beds zipped together and very hard to top it all.We stayed without children and felt a little uncomforatble as they are clearly a family hotel and that is their priority. The spa is lacking, a small pool with only one shower and basic changing room, the highlight was the hot tub with amazing views but i had to take the cover off myself which was really heavy, it just seemed a forgotten spa with no sense of luxury. there is no steam room or sauna either. The staff are friendly and seem keen. Our meal was mixed in standard with 2 of the meals being delicous and 2 being virtually inedible. I would reccomend this hotel to families with babies and toddlers only and for people for whom luxury is not expected at this price.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank littlecottage1972

Dear ‘Littlecottage1972’

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback, you clearly did not enjoy your stay with us, please accept my apologies for this.

I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you in person in order that I can make amends for the poor experience that you had. Please give me a call at the hotel at your convenience.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to talking with you.

With kind regards

Reviewed 7 May 2012

My original title of this review was "Yes, a bit shabby, but still pretty chic." That is to say, I reluctantly validate some of the reviewers' observations that the furniture and carpets are a bit run down. That said, after a couple of days you don't care. Your kids are well looked after in the 4 Bears' Den (if your children will submit, take advantage of the breakfast club, our kids were collected at our doorway at 8am and we had a fabulous lie-in and breakfast!). You can feed and put them to bed early (the hotel offers a listening service) and have a quiet meal. You snap your fingers and have whatever you need, for your children or yourself, pretty much any time of day. The staff really went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable.

Grounds are lovely, beautiful plantings, playscape, and really if you have a trampoline what more do young kids need? DD went out every morning to look for eggs with the staff and loved that too. Views of the harbor and (ocean? channel?) incredible.

Our bathroom must have been redone recently (we were in the newer wing) because it was lovely, whirlpool tub, strong and hot rainforest shower, etc. The place must be well insulated b/c we never heard a thing during the day or night. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to take advantage of the spa but it looked lovely, Pool area was terrific - warm pool, great outdoor deck, spanking clean changing rooms.

We found the waitstaff attentive and quick, whether you wanted a cream tea or drink in the lounge or a beaker for the baby. We also thought the food was excellent (and having lived in Paris we are picky eaters!). Terrific a la carte menu as well as seasonal set menu and they were kind enough to let us choose from that sometimes. The kids food was very high quality and they would puree or rough chop (my son is 13 mos) whatever you wanted. Nothing above 6-7 quid. My only complaint would be all the servings were so huge! Breakfast included and delicious as well.

Fowey is a steep but short walk down from the hotel, cute downtown area, great little shops and small but quite lively crabbing area! Eden Project and Lanhydrock House also great amenities nearby.

Bottom line: we had a great time. All the complainers can stay home -- more trampoline time and gin and tonics for the rest of us!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Wolverinegirl

Dear "Wolverinegirl"

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so delighted to read that you had an excellent stay with your family here. I will pass on your feedback to the team.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to Fowey Hall soon.

With kind regards

Chris Williams (General Manager) and the Fowey Hall Team

Reviewed 3 May 2012

Wow! What a treat! Was brought here for Sunday lunch by a dear friend and had a gorgeous time. Was treated like royalty by Cherish (who is a real life angel) and the rest of the team. Excellent food (I'm dairy free and it was no problem - I especially recommend the wonderful sorbet ice-creams). We sat with a view of the river and a glass of delicious Camel Valley fizz before lunch in the dining room. Finished off with Sunday papers by the open fire. Perfect!

Room Tip: didn't stay here but would love to in future
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Dear 'NPlymouth'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your Sunday lunch with us & were well looked after by the team.
We hope to welcome you back to Fowey Hall in the near future

Warm regards,
Chris Williams (General Manager) and the Fowey Hall team

Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed last easter weekend, lovely surroundings, lovely food but as nice as the waitress was her shirt and trousers were dirty. Our accommodation was poor, in the stable block, bed had poor lumpy mattress (2 mattresses on top of very dirty looking divan). My husband couldnt sleep in the bed due to his tallness and foot end so when I complained they put another mattress on top of the existing ones, so at 163cm to get into bed I had to climb on a chair!!! Sofa bed in lounge area also shabby and old with various mattresses on top of each other. After 2 nights we decided to head home......to a decent nights sleep!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank bella904
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Dear “Bella904”

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. I was pleased to read that you found the service good, but I am sorry that the accommodation and a few other points did not come up to standard.

Please do give us another chance, we bought the hotel just before Christmas and have just begun a refurbishment program that will see all of the hotel upgraded.

I look forward to talking with you and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Fowey Hall soon

Chris Williams

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fowey
The Fowey Hotel
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Mawgan Porth
Sands Resort Hotel & Spa

Been to Fowey Hall? Share your experiences!