“This is the family hotel and restaurant that dreams are made of.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fowey Hall

Fowey Hall
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fowey
“This is the family hotel and restaurant that dreams are made of.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

We had a wonderful short stay at this amazing hotel in one of the most beautiful settings imaginable. The staff were attentive and knowledgeable and spoke at ease to both my young children and my partner and I. The room was fantastic - in fact it was more of a suit. Our girls squeaked with delight at having a separate room leading off some stairs ajoining our room which a staff member secured with some stair gates. We had delicious food (alfresco lunch) and intimate dinner in the elegant restaurant. We took advantage of the child monitoring service in the evening but our kids never stirred after their fun filled day exploring the vast grounds, feeding the chickens and playing with the hotel puppy. There is no bar to speak of but drinks are ordered by catching the attention of staff who seem always available to help but not intrusive and they bring the drinks to you which adds a classy touch to proceedings. The following morning after a deep sleep in the enormous bed we took to the pool and spa area in order to work off a few calories acquired over breakfast and sat in the outside hot tub which has a wonderful view out to sea. Check out was relaxed around 11 am. An all round top experience and highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Dear 'StevenJLamb

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with your family. It's great to know you loved Fowey Hall as much as we do.

Chris Williams (General Manager) & The Fowey Hall Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

Having just spend two lovely nights here I have come away relaxed and refreshed. My daughter (5) didn't want to leave and even though she didn't indulge in the breakfast club - a sneaky sunday lie in was hoped for - she wanted to know at least when she could go back! I went here last year and u can feel the atmosphere has changed the staff feel confident and almost cared for...dare say that's post the awful Von Essen stewardship....a truly special place and even better now the season has shifted, will start saving the pennies now but worth all of them!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Dear 'mombasa33'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and find Fowey Hall as special as we do.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

After 3 nights at the Waterhate Bay hotel we checked into the Fowey Hall hotel on a last minute basis as we wanted to stay in the area. We were shown to a room which was very disappointing but we had no choice but to stay as was the only free accomodation in the area. We decided to go for a swim before dinner and instantly regretted this! The pool area was filthy! The changing rooms smelt, the towels were old and thread bare and there was a nasty sludge around the edge of the pool which had clearly be there some time. On returning to the room, it became clear just how dirty it was. Hairs in the bathroom which didn't belong to us, the cups and spoons on the hospitality tray were dirty and the pillows were stained. I called reception to complain and they moved us to a new room. Again the pillows were stained (they did replace them but not sure why they didn't use clean ones in the first place!), there was cobwebs in the shower and a bottle lid was under the bed..., clearly they don't clean properly. To be fair the lady who moved us was very helpful and brought us a glass of champagne but we shouldn't of had to complain in the first place. It should be clean!! Food was good although portion sizes were a little small. Breakfast was tasty. Overall, this place could be lovely if they cleaned it properly! Location and views were amazing. Shame that this place ruined the last night of our honeymoon.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Knighton1
Dear 'Knighton1'

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on trip advisor as well as completing one of our feedback forms following your recent stay with us. Once again please accept my apologies for the cleanliness of your room and Spa when you stayed with us last weekend.

I am glad that I have had an opportunity to discuss this with you in person and I hope you will take me up on my offer to come and stay with us again.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Fowey Hall.

Chris Williams, General Manager
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

Having had a great one night stay at Ickworth our expectations of Fowey Hall were already high. Thankfully our expectations were met...and then some. Breathtaking views, great location and staff that bent over backwards to ensure our needs were met.We originally were housed in the seperate building away from the main hotel, this left us a little concerned when leaving our ickle one, no worries...we were then moved the next night to a lovely larger suite at no extra cost. Throughout the break the staff were friendly, helpful and the overall feeling was relaxed yet professional. The hotel has an usual feel, modern yet olde world and all of the different rooms have a completely different feel to them. The pool was clean, the hot tub had an amazing view and the break was amazing. My only (slight) criticism was the food was just above average, it was ok included in the price but we felt it would have been overpriced at £42.50 per head which is reasonably high, not in any way bad but I think there could be improvements. However, all in all 100% recommended and if you can get a deal then its a steal! p.s the piano needs to be closed down to prevent annoying kids plimky plonking at annoying times!

Room Tip: The rooms in the hotel were much quieter than the rooms in the converted building. We could hear a l...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Dear 'Michael3140'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the team helpful as they did their best to accommodate you within the main house to make you feel more at ease when leaving your little one in the room whilst the baby listening service was on. I have also taken note of you food comments - we are currently reviewing all menu offerings and will certainly consider your thoughts whilst doing so.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

Glorious service and staff, just right. Outstanding food. Two fabulous nights in spacious wing of main house. Maintenance and upkeep perhaps slightly behind the curve but I can see that they are catching up after recent change of ownership. Built around the kids, handy for those parents that need a bit of breathing space. Highly recommended. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for delux interconnecting rooms attached to main house, far superior to courtyard roo...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
Dear 'Andy S'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us with your family. Luxury Family Hotels have certainly been busy since they took over the hotel in December last year - having already refurbished the courtyard rooms, installed a new heating system and decorated all the public areas throughout but there is still more to come with more plans due to start early next year to see the whole hotel fully refurbished and revitalised to its former glory.

St Mawes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

Booked with 2 girlfriends for treatments in the Spa. Very efficient service and extremely relaxing. Well worth the money. Would highly recommend. Nice and clean.

We were going to go into the Hotel for lunch. Sat outside at a table. Waited for a while, nobody came along so one of us went in to ask if we could have lunch. It was 12.30pm on a Thursday during Fowey Week - mid August. The member of staff said that she "would have to see if the kitchen could accommodate us". My friend not very pleased. One other table sitting outside so they were not busy but I suppose could have had a large party booked in. Some menus then arrived pretty quickly but decided that we would go back to our house in the centre of Fowey and have something down there.

Had a soft drink each £7.50 for 2 x 1/2's of diet coke and a small glass of sparkling water. Pretty expensive. Went to pay and again service poor. Nobody seems to be around? Would do the Spa again but not too keen to try the food/drink/service. Shame really as lovely setting and great views. Done ratings on the massage not the Hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank burrowsemma
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 25 August 2012
Dear ‘Burrowsemma’

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback, I was pleased to read you enjoyed your spa experience ast Fowey Hall but disappointed that the service was not up to our usual standards.

I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you in person in order that I can make amends for the poor experience that you had. Please give me a call at the hotel at your convenience.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to talking with you.

With kind regards

Chris Williams
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

After staying for a few nights at the wonderful Watergate Bay Hotel, our two nights at Fowey Hall were a big disappointment. The hotel staff, facilities and breakfast were poor for the price paid. Understaffed and under invested was the feeling. Free wifi was either non-existent or so patchy it was not worth the hassle. My sense is that standards overall must have slipped significantly over several years. I suggest the management stay at Watergate for a night to get a sense of customer expectations for these rates and for the quality they claim from Fowey Hall. Either that or reduce prices and promises. PS (to the hotel management) suggest you respond first to hand written and verbal feedback (complained twice about the lack of internet) before responding to TripAdvisor comments - we left comments and an email address.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank squorkit
Dear 'Squorkit'

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on trip advisor as well as completing one of our feedback forms following your recent stay with us. Once again please accept my apologies for the areas of the hotel and service that did not come up to standard.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Fowey Hall.

Chris Williams
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fowey
The Fowey Hotel
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
The Oceanic Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
#1 of 25 in Falmouth

Been to Fowey Hall? Share your experiences!