“Not a ball at the fowey hall”
Review of Fowey Hall

Fowey Hall
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fowey
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Having decided to treat ourselves to a luxury stay in one of our favourite Cornwall destinations, the fowey hall did not give us a 'ronseal' stay. First though, the staff were courteous, helpful and indeed charming. A cosy welcome was given in front of an open fire, check in was at the unusually late time of 3pm. The suite was a number of small rooms, 2 bathrooms and whilst periodic appearance the settee was dirty and stained. The windows where old and metal, not really a problem until trying (unsuccessfully) to sleep when they rattled throughout the night.
At breakfast we were given a feedback card which we completed honestly. At check out this was discussed with us and the bill reduced to that of the Normal room rate and we were offered a further stay at 50% discount by the ever so helpful staff. They explained the hotel had been bought out and the suite we had was in line to be refurbished - this had already been done elsewhere.
On reflection we feel the suites yet to be updated should be marked as such and discounted. We won't be taking them up on their offer of a return trip, one sleepless night is enough and half price insomnia is not appealing.
We would not recommend this hotel or stay there again.

Room Tip: Insist on a refurbished room.... Or go elsewhere
4  Thank Pinchens
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2013

Dear ‘AndreaandPhil131’

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback, you clearly did not enjoy your stay with us, please accept my apologies for this.

Please do give us another chance, Luxury Family Hotels purchased Fowey Hall in December 2011 and work is under way to see the whole hotel renovated and upgraded.

I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you in person in order that I can make amends for the poor experience that you had. Please give me a call at the hotel at your convenience.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to talking with you.

With kind regards

Chris Williams

Reviewed 30 March 2013

Stayed here one night stunning view over harbour of fogey, hotel just stunning! chandeliers, panelling, open fires, great breakfast(didn't have dinner) room beautifully decorated, staff charming! Yes it is pricey, but for a treat, its value for money! just to sit at 2300pm with a brandy and sit by a roaring fire!

Room Tip: go feb/march for gr8 deal! ask for sea view at front! huge rooms!
1  Thank david s

Dear 'david s'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your short break with us at Fowey Hall and you enjoyed relaxing by the roaring log fires - it is rather cosy here in the winter time!

We hope to welcome you back to Fowey Hall soon

Reviewed 29 March 2013

Another great stay at Fowey Hall Hotel. As soon as you walk through the door you start to feel relaxed. Home from home with that added wow factor.Whether dining,sitting by the log fire exploring the grounds the staff are always around with a smile and a G&T.My daughter loves Bramble, the Zip wire and the hot chocolate.Don't leave without a visit to the Spa. Learnne gave me the best massage i have ever had.Will be back soon i hope to indulge in hot tub heaven with the best views in Fowey. Thanks to you all for delivering an amazing experience.Happy Easter. x

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah K
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Dear 'Sarah K'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed a relaxing stay with us at Fowey Hall and you enjoyed one of Learne's fantastic massages!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fowey Hall soon

Reviewed 29 March 2013

Only just started to use trip advisor , the reason it's taken me this long to write a review.
I travelled to Fowey from London with my partner and two boys ( 4 & 5 ) last October for a friends wedding.
We travelled to Cornwall the night before and stayed in a travel lodge. We planned to get refreshed have breakfast and spend the day at the Eden project before checking into Fowey Hall. Unfortunately the travel lodge had NO water ! We could not even brush our teeth, let alone shower and have breakfast. My partner phoned the Fowey Hall to explain our situation and ask if we could check in early. All the staff and Fowey hall were great, there was no hesitation and we was welcomed. After an amazing breakfast we checked into our room. We was allocated in the annex building and had a family room. My boys thought their room was amazing as was ours. The bathroom huge and clean. After we all showered and headed out to the Eden project I was happy with the hotel and looking forward to the wedding. Our stay just got better and better. This hotel has thought of everything for families. We enjoyed a great meal that night and drinks while the wedding party arrived. The log fires were burning the children were running around like mad and the staff were great. The following day after another super breakfast my partner took the boys for a swim while I was lucky to enjoy the spa. I had a facial and body scrub. The treatments were superb and the staff were great. My boys had a wonderful time in the pool. The wedding couple arranged for all the children to be looked after for a couple of hours while parents had time to themselves. Most parents used the crèche and most couples wondered down into the town. The town was beautiful we rushed back up the hill to collect the boys. We wanted to take the boys crabbing, the hotel gave us everything we needed, bacon, lines , nets and Wellington boots lined up in all sizes in the porch area. Then it was time for the wedding. A perfect setting and the best wedding we have been to. The staff were great. My children spent most their time in the games / tv room and staff were checking in on them all the time. My youngest fell asleep watching a film and I wish I got her name but one of the young lady's working at the hotel took off my sons tie undid his top button and covered him with a blanket. I have travelled a lot and take my boys with me, I have never received such great service and care as we did at Fowey hall. My dream would be to go back and spend Christmas here for a good few days. Thank you to Fowey Hall and all the staff.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Maggie W

Dear 'Maggie W'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us at Fowey Hall for your friend's wedding.

Christmas is a magical time at Fowey Hall and we have some great packages do give me a call and we will work out a special rate for you if you are able to join us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fowey Hall again soon

Reviewed 24 March 2013

we stayed for one night, celebrating our silver wedding. The staff were terrific - positive, enthusiastic and helpful on every front. Food was superb and the whole experience outstanding. Great location - short walk to Fowey, and a pleasant spa and pool. Loved the log fires and common spaces - comfy and not overbearing. Only suggestion is that they could do with a fitness centre - there is space and this would be welcome. Outdoor hot tub has spectacular views

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Dear 'LizB'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your silver wedding anniversary with us at Fowey Hall.

We hope to welcome you back to Fowey Hall soon & congratulations once again from all of us

Reviewed 22 March 2013

Thank goodness for Fowey Hall during a rainy March visit. Plans to hit the major Southeast Cornwall attractions were washed away with a big weather front that has turned most of Cornwall into a giant bog. At first I thought we'd stay in a cottage, but without another teen around to keep my teen amused, another plan was needed. Swimming pools, DVDs and games abound at fowey hall. Little ones can be looked after at the crèche and there is also a listening service so that parents can enjoy an adult only dinner.
The food is delicious, hotel priced, but well-presented. The cream tea is great.
The common rooms have big overstuffed sofas and fires. A fully stocked library awaits anyone wo left their Kindle at home. Staff mysteriously show up to see if you need tea or perhaps a G&T after your first drive through the narrow roads of this old community.
Another relaxing feature is you add your service at the end of the visit. No need to sign a chit every time you order tea or a snack.

Room Tip: Third floor was quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear 'mamasanbkny

We hope to welcome you back to Fowey Hall soon - hopefully in some better weather!

Reviewed 16 March 2013

Just like going to a friends house - plenty of board games, pcs, xboxes, even a kids cinema room - it's a very well thought out hotel aimed at the 4 star family market. Go here if u are a tired parent looking for some time to chill as the children won't want to spend much time with you - they will be so busy with their new holiday friends feeding chickens, paying in the crèche or playing football, trampolining etc.
Don't worry about the weather as there is plenty to do even if it's raining outside..
Rooms are comfortable and furnished like a friends country house rather than a chic boutique hotel - goes with the "home away from home" atmosphere of the hotel.
There is a good spa and indoor swimming pool to add to the chill out experience.
Food is a good standard and the staff are excellent - casual but professional - we knew all the customer facing staff by name - even to the extent that the team member in charge of the breakfast room brought our morning ("wake-up") cappuccino to our table every morning BEFORE we even ordered it - she knew our order so well !!
That sums up how friendly the hotel team is.
Will definitely be back.
We enjoyed this so much we have booked the May bank holiday weekend in the sister hotel in worcestershire - can't wait !!
We have 2 other families coming with us to e sister hotel because they want to see how good the concept is - perfectly in tune with it's target market segment.
Well done to the team at Fowey Hall for sending us back home relaxed :)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Dear 'IrishguyLondon'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed a relaxing stay with us at Fowey Hall and you enjoyed the home from home atmosphere.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fowey Hall soon and we will do our best to remember your special 'wake up cappuccino's at breakfast next time!

Chris Williams (General Manager), & The Fowey Hall Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fowey
The Fowey Hotel
21 mi away
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate

Been to Fowey Hall? Share your experiences!