“Fantastic special occasion choice!”
Review of Fowey Hall

Fowey Hall
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fowey
Reviewed 27 August 2013

It was my husbands 40th and I have to say it was a fantastic week for us all on this special occasion. We stayed in Ratty in the new part which was exceptional standard! We went with our 4 and 6 year old who probably had the best time with the informal but high standard feel through out from dining to games to the cinema evenings which allowed adults to dine without the usual chaos of drinks going flying or toilet trips just as your meal arrives :-)! They made a great fuss of my husband on his birthday with fizz and candle cake! To top it all we were there regatta week which I am told is the best week of the year and as the hotel is at the highest point of fowey we had what felt like a very up close and personal Red Arrow display which made my holiday! It's not a cheap week away but the old saying you get what you pay for certainly is true at Fowey Hall! The only criticism I have is there were no facilities to dry wet towels in the ground floor annexe rooms and a small airer wouldn't go a miss. Well done team!

Room Tip: Ratty was lovely with loads of room but you do share a room with children.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear 'Thecapons'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at Fowey Hall with your family and your husband enjoyed his 40th birthday with us! Regatta is a very special time - glad you had chance to witness the Red Arrows display from what we consider one of the best viewing points!

There are newer reviews for Fowey Hall

Reviewed 27 August 2013

At the very last minute due to a misunderstanding from another local hotel of similar name I urgently needed to find a room and Fowey Hall Hotel was amazingly accommodating in getting me a room for two nights at a reduced rate immediately.
In general the hotel more than met my expectations, fab room, excellent service and beautiful surroundings.

I would however probably not use this hotel again because it predominately (end July!) accommodates and targets families and in particular seems amenable to families with very young children/babies. Certainly for the 2 days I stayed there were circa 50 under 5's staying there with parents. At times it was like being in a crèche!

I can see the attraction and understand the niche USP but this does then marginalise customers without children which is a shame because it is a stunning hotel.
It would be so much better if their target client group could be balanced although I fully accept that at the peak of the holiday season this is tricky.

Room Tip: I had a room in an annexe which was like a suite and very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Janet B

Dear 'JanetMay2013'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at Fowey Hall. We are part of Luxury Family Hotels and therefore are target market is predominately families however we also welcome guests travelling without children and aim to ensure they enjoy their stay equally as much.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Just back from four fabulous nights at Fowey Hall and I debated whether to leave another good review given that all the reviews seem very positive. However, here goes...

The main point is/was that our daughter - who's nearly five - had a whale of a time. She loved all the activities for kids and for her the best bits were: feeding the chickens; jumping on the trampoline (which we could see from our room and the restaurant); the kids club (the staff were brilliant with the kids and the facilities are modern and clean with loads of toys and art/crafts stuff etc); mucking about in the pool and - the food. The kids food is really nice and especially designed for younger tastes. So, for us that means pizza; pasta/pesto and sausages!. She's already told us she'd like to go back next year.

For the wife and I the best bit was the fact that the service was extraordinary. We wanted for nothing while we there and even when we were a little late for things - kids' tea, our reservation in the dining room, breakfast etc, etc - the guys were brilliantly accommodating and pleasant with it. We also liked the fact that despite it being full, it didn't feel too busy. There was always a quiet spot to sit in and read the paper/books whilst our wee one was being well looked after. The staff seem to have a sixth sense and just as you're thinking about a coffee or a drink, someone appears to take your order. Adults food and drink very good too. The menu had plenty of choice and lots of locally sourced fish/shellfish etc. The wine list was good and not greedily marked up like a lot of places.

I echo a little of what the last reviewer said about the rooms in the old part of the hotel. We spent our first night in Claire and it was very hot all night and although seemed clean, shabby chic probably sums it up. We moved into the annexe for the rest of our stay and our room - Louisa - was great and had patio style windows that opened and made the room nice and cool.

I also met the manager - Chris - a few times and he went out of his way to be available and seemed genuinely interested in making sure we were having a good time. We stayed during Fowey Regatta week and the Red Arrows put in an appearance on our last night. With the geography of the area and the hotel being at the highest point, most of their display was at our eye-level. That was my highlight!.

So, I'd say that this place is a great bet if you're looking for a restful break alongside decent F&B options. We'll be back again next year!.

Room Tip: We preferred the rooms in the annexe instead of the main hotel.

Dear 'Lionel J'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at Fowey Hall with your family and found the staff to be friendly, helpful & accommodating- this is one of the many things we pride ourselves on. Also pleased you enjoyed the spectacular display by the Red Arrows - hopefully see you again next year!

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed at Fowey Hall for 2 nights, with our two children, aged 4 and 9 months, after a week in self catering cottages nearby. We had previously stayed at Woolley Grange, which is part of the same group.

First impressions were good. The manager greeted us personally, and was very nice. We had arrived well before check in time, but they got our room ready very quickly.

On first inspection, the room, named 'Isbell' seemed fine, if a little shabby and outdated. But on closer inspection, it needed a thorough clean and actually, the entire room (and I suspect all the 'old style' rooms) really need refurbishing. The curtains in particular were old and musty, and the window frames flaking and old, but the walls and carpets too were really not clean. The travel cot for our baby had some stains on- to be fair I didn't mention this- but I think things like this especially for babies should be checked regularly and replaced when needed. On the plus side, the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was huge- but again was in need of complete refurbishment. I would now expect all 5 star hotels to have a shower- or at least a shower attachment where you could stand up under it- instead in this bathroom you need to kneel in the bath to use it- not ideal!

The food at the hotel was generally good. However the morning after dinner on the first night, I woke with a terrible stomach upset which continued for the rest of our stay. Obviously I can't be sure that the hotel food was the cause, but it did ruin the weekend somewhat.

So far, I have only listed negatives- but there were many positives. The service was on the whole fantastic-particularly for children, so during children's/family dining, high tea etc. Special mention must go to the lovely waitress Cherish, who my daughter adored! Nearly all the other waitressing/reception team were very nice and helpful too.

We used the Four Bears Den for our kids- and the staff there were great. My daughter was happy being left there and it seemed clean and bright. She also loved the zip wire, trampoline and games room, as well as the cinema room. It definitely is a very child friendly hotel- a good example being when my husband asked for some washing up liquid to wash our baby's bottles- straight away they offered todo it for us. Children's meals were generally good, and they were happy to mash or purée pretty much anything from the menu for the baby.

As I was ill, I didn't use the pool, but it looked lovely,

Reading the review back, it would seem like the 4 circle rating I gave it was too much, but we really did enjoy ourselves, it was just a shame about the room, and the fact I got ill, which may or may not have been anything to do with the hotel...

We would certainly come back, but only if the rooms had been refurbished. Great setting with amazing views, friendly staff and brilliant for kids, but just needs a few tweaks!

1  Thank Amanda T

Dear ‘ Amanda T’

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay at Fowey Hall but clearly you had some issues with your accommodation. Luxury Family Hotels purchased Fowey Hall in December 2011 and work is under way to see the whole hotel renovated and upgraded.

I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you in person to discuss your comments in order that I can make amends. Please do give me a call at the hotel at your convenience.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to talking with you.

With kind regards

Chris Williams

Reviewed 25 August 2013

I organised a stay at Fowey Hall Hotel for my parents for their 50th wedding anniversary. The family wanted to get together and celebrate without my mother feeling she had to cater to all. My parents are not travellers, but value their home comforts, so in selecting the right venue for a short break for them and a family meal for 15 it was really important to get the right venue. I was so lucky that Fowey Hall Hotel was ideally placed and provided the level of luxury to make it a real treat for them and that they were so accommodating in the negotiations about the celebratory meal, (including specially-made anniversary cake), that I could get just what the family wanted. Everyone had a lovely time and was impressed with the food and the service. My mother's comment, was the one I wanted to pass on, she said, "The staff were exceptional, attentive but without being intrusive, friendly and welcoming, but giving us enough space that we could enjoy one another's company and feel truly 'at home'." My heartfelt thanks go to all the staff for making this special occasion so memorable. S. Oliver

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear 'SnoozeOliver48'

Thank you so much for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay at Fowey Hall whilst celebrating your parents 50th wedding anniversary - it is lovely to hear you all felt so at home during your stay.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

It was our 3rd visit to Fowey Hall and it exceeded our expectations. As soon as you drive into the property grounds you start to feel relaxed. The setting overlooking Fowey harbour is stunning and on a sunny day I can't think of many places in the world that has such a beautiful location and views. The key strength of the hotel is how it caters equally for children of all ages - (I have children who are 2, 10 and 12 so have very different needs) and adults who want luxury and relaxation. The children are entertained continually, irrespective of age, and there is always something to do - crèche (thank you to Emma, Dayle and Tom), trampoline, cinema, table tennis, swimming and so much more. Adults relax with a glass of wine or cup of tea in one of the many comfy rooms with stately home décor and furnishings. When the younger children go to bed the monitoring service allows you to have dinner on your own whilst older children socialise with holiday friends (my 12 year old would stay up until later playing table tennis, sipping hot chocolate and watching movies ). They have the balance right and since our original stay a few years ago the hotel seems to get better each time. The restaurants (family plus adult only) are both good with a varied menu and a great selection of Cornish locally sourced food. Thankyou to Ben and Martin for making us feel welcome and providing great advice on food and wines. We chose a large family suite to cater for the 3 kids and it served our needs perfectly with a separate room for the children and the main room having spectacular views overlooking Fowey Estuary. Thank you finally to Chris Williams and his House Manager Mel for making our visit special. We loved our stay so much we have already booked for Christmas for ourselves and the extended family and a 5 night trip during Easter. Anita & Sean Purvis

Room Tip: Large suites in the main house are worth paying extra and great if you prefer traditional antique de...
2  Thank AJP_9
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Dear 'Anita&SeanPurvis'

Thank you so much for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Fowey Hall with your family - it was a pleasure to have you all here in our hotel and we are looking forward to welcoming you all back at Christmas & again at Easter.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

We have been here before and it always delivers! Fantastic hotel that caters for everyone but always makes you feel special as an individual. Great staff, friendly, helpful and efficient. Great food, fantastic sea views and beautifully decorated rooms. Clean throughout and exceptionally well kept. There's always plenty to see and do I particularly enjoy the inclusive feeling the hotel gives, many thanks Chris and the team

Room Tip: just enjoy it
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank orp73
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

Dear 'orp73'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at Fowey Hall with your family and found the staff to be friendly, helpful & efficient - this is one of the many things we pride ourselves on.

Chris Williams (General Manager) & The Fowey Hall Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fowey
The Fowey Hotel
Talland Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Porthallow
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to Fowey Hall? Share your experiences!