“This Hotel Could Be Amazing!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Fowey Hall

Fowey Hall
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fowey
Torbay, Devon
“This Hotel Could Be Amazing!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

My boyfriend and I spent our weekend here. There isn't a lot surrounding the hotel apart from the small town of shops. The hotel is stunning from the inside and outside. Our room was in an outside building from the main hotel. We did not mind this as it was nice and quiet although we would have preferred to have been in the main part of the hotel so we did not get soaked walking to and from the room to dinner and breakfast. The meals were fantastic even though we had the wrong drinks brought to us (which we did not send back as they were very busy). Log fires in the lounges were lovely. But we were so disappointed with the spa/pool area. We were both looking forward to a relaxing afternoon here but after taking one look at it we thought it was barely worth it, the jacuzzi wasn't working/ or on which was a great shame. The pool was full of very noisy children jumping in and the beanbags at the side of the pool to relax on were not very comfortable, most of them soaking wet anyway. So our relaxing afternoon wasn't very relaxing. We understand that children are allowed in the pool during the time we went but without access to the outdoor jacuzzi it really limited what we could do as a couple. Lastly when we checked out other items had been added to our bill such as prosecco and other drinks which we were not very happy about (when we hadn't had them). This could be a fantastic hotel and we could see it catering for both families and couples, but perhaps more needs to be available for couples too.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear 'Daniella R'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor, I am disappointed to read that you experienced some issues during your stay with us, please accept my apologies for this. We do welcome children here with open arms but we do also try to ensure we have the right balance for parents wanting to enjoy some 'me time' or for adults travelling without children. Thank you for your comments which we will certainly take on board .

I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you in person regarding your experience -please give me a call at the hotel at your convenience.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to talking with you.

With kind regards
Chris Williams (General Manager)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

We spent two nights on a special deal here at the end of January.We had a superior room overlooking the estuary.The room was spacious and the bathroom modern. The evening meal was excellent,the breakfast was very good.One small problem was the lack of good light for shaving in the bathroom and in the bedroom.However,apart from this minor problem,the hotel
was first class,and with our special deal package was excellent.The bed was superb.

Room Tip: The newer bedrooms are first class.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear 'DennisCardiff'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your short break at Fowey Hall - thank you for letting us know about the lighting issue -we will do our best to resolve this matter for other guests coming to stay.

We hope to welcome you back to Fowey Hall again soon

Plymouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Fowey Hall is terrific and just what we needed. We booked at the last minute and thoughtfully the team reserved two interconnecting rooms overlooking the estuary for us and our twin boys, and we were welcomed warmly, each member of staff introduced themselves and our bags were carried to the rooms after a tour.

The team and atmosphere are very professional and there's something for everyone here. Then we met the final team member - Bramble. She's a 'Sprocker', a cross between a cocker and springer spaniel, and even though my wife and I are not particular fans of dogs, she is a very friendly and much loved hound that our boys loved. Guests can borrow her and she knows her way around Fowey, so there's little need for a map!

Even though we encountered rain, fog, 'mizzle' - fog and drizzle, brief sunshine and finally a howling wind, the building is really wonderful with cosy sofas, log fires, attentive staff, newspapers (and plenty of them) and a relaxing place to be. The food is fabulous and offers many a locally inspired dish and the wine list I loved.

If we hadn't gone, the alternative would have been watching the children re-arrange our home, so it was a perfect out of season choice that ticked all the boxes.

Thank you to the team for making us so welcome, and we will hopefully return in April.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms named Broad and Welsh in the top of the building - great views and cosy!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear 'Jonathan M'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your January break in the rain at Fowey Hall and glad you still managed to have fun despite the weather's best attempt to dampen your spirits!

We hope to welcome you back to Fowey Hall again in April

Bude, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

We booked a 2 night break at the end of the third week of January. We arrived on Thursday and the hotel was quite quiet. Our room was ready even though we arrived well before the scheduled check-in time. We were invited to a brief tour of the hotel, which was informative and certainly made us feel at home.
The hotel staff were excellent - very polite, professional and friendly in all their actions. We ate in the dining room on Friday and, as other guests have commented, the service was of a very high standard. The meal was unhurried and we spent as much time as we wished in deciding what to eat and drink. The bedroom and bathroom were both of generous proportions, with views over the estuary.
I would not hesitate to recommend the Fowey Hall to anyone who wants a lovely break in a superb setting free from the stresses of day-to-day life.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear 'Simon F'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your January break at Fowey Hall and glad you managed to 'escape from the stresses of day to day life'!

Ivybridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Enjoyed a lovely two day stay because of a friends wedding. We had a special offer room and breakfast rate and pleased we did as I certainly do not think it warrants the usually high price. I found the rooms, although classed as deluxe, somewhat tired in places and work has been completed a little shoddily in places. Our room overlooked the river which is lovely with beautiful French doors to the garden. This however was spoilt by the fact everyone could see into the room not only from the garden but from the ballroom/restaurant so keeping the curtains open to let the view be appreciated was not a good option. A little thought and non reflective glass would be an asset.
I do not consider large, refillable receptacles in the bathroom to be that of 'luxury' and much prefer my own items. I know the Premier Inns and Travelodge adopt this style of bathroom facilities but this is the only luxury hotel we have stayed in which has done this and I consider this to be low to mid range not 'luxury'.

Though I appreciate the party was large for breakfast the food was cold. I informed the staff who tried to rectify it but without much success. I didn't realise how difficult it was to get right a very basic English breakfast.
The communal areas are lovely and very inviting. The reception area is small and unassuming with a very tired bowl of fruit, again a poor image for a 'luxury' hotel.
The restaurant food was lovely, beautifully presented and very tasty except the dessert. My husband was looking forward to his Banoffee knickerbockerglory. He did wish to eat it rather than drink it but also wouldn't complain about it sadly.

Settling the bill was an easy affair to a point. The first bill did not include our evening meal. I pointed this out to the receptionist who rectified it. Sadly I then had to point out she had charge too much and so had to refund some of the monies.
Some small adjustments are required to bring this hotel into the luxury range and it is my opinion they are resting on the wonderful view to sell their rooms rather than the experience.

The staff are warm, friendly and very helpful. The hotel has got this right for sure.

We are experienced travellers and have stayed in every type and grade of hotel from Travelodges to the worlds most exclusive hotel the Burj Al Arab and everything in between so I consider we know what we are talking about.

Room Tip: If staying at this hotel ask for a room in the main building with a view over the River Fowey. I con...
Dear 'adrianandlois'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor, you clearly experienced some issues with your room and breakfast service during your stay with us, please accept my apologies for this.

I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you in person in order that I can make amends for the poor experience that you had. Please give me a call at the hotel at your convenience.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to talking with you.

With kind regards
Chris Williams (General Manager)
Newport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

Booked a two day break at Fowey Hall. The experience was outstanding a unique blend of informality, outstanding service, and friendliness. The staff were excellent, on arrival there was a guided tour,the service in the various rooms was quick and efficient. The food both the snacks and main meals were fabulous,the breakfast probably the best ever both in variety and quality.
The room was spacious with a lovely view, a very comfortable bed and a terrific bathroom. We cannot fault this hotel experience.
The pool and spa rounded off an excellent few days.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms are facing the harbour and whilst the weather was changeable! I am sure in th...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear 'Michael B'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your two day break at Fowey Hall and glad that you enjoyed the laid back luxury we offer.

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

We had a one night escape to this delightful hotel. Everything and everybody, welcoming, warm, clean and tidy. Treating myself to the luxury of 2 spa treatments was such a great rejuvenation, and the spa and pool rooms are well fitted and warm, so important when you're taking your clothes off!!. The food was excellent, breakfast choices unusual, but in a good way,and there's a varied selection of fresh and compote fruits which we love. Service great, everybody seems happy with their lot which makes a refreshing change to some hotels which can be stiff and starchy.
We had a poor nights sleep because the bed was not great but we mentioned this at reception and, hopefully, they will remedy this.
The location is stunning, looking straight out over Fowey harbour, it must be delightful to sit out and eat in the summer with the glorious views, sadly is was not so nice, or warm enough, but it is January.
The wines are very pricey, as are the full priced rooms. We had an excellent deal through Travel Zoo, well worth it. I'm not sure I would stay at the full price rate, although there are some good deals available through their own website.We would certainly recommend this hotel for a nice treat.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view
Dear 'englishgirly'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your short break at Fowey Hall in particular the spa treatments you enjoyed with us. Thank you for also notifying us of the bed which you unfortunately found uncomfortable during your stay -we can now resolve this matter for other guests.

Chris Williams (General Manager) & The Fowey Hall Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fowey
The Fowey Hotel
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Talland Bay Hotel
Talland Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Porthallow

Been to Fowey Hall? Share your experiences!