“Fantastic 4 day family break.”
Review of Fowey Hall

Fowey Hall
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fowey
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Thank you to all the staff that made our stay at Fowey Hall the most enjoyable UK break that we've had with our three children. The service was just fantastic and our children are 8, 13 & 16 and sometimes difficult to cater for the broad age range, but not here. A special thank you to Martin who heads up the restaurant and to Leanne in the Spa for a perfect neck and back massage. Well done to you all.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear 'GrimsOnerNerd'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at Fowey Hall and thought that it was the most enjoyable UK break you have had with the family - we cannot ask for better feedback!

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights with our nearly 3 year old.
Room: huge, no problem to accommodate us all. Bathroom was the biggest bathroom I ever had in a hotel and you get nice Elemis bath products. Lovely fluffy towels and bathrobes provided
Bed was comfy and our son slept well on his little campbed.
All rooms come with a baby listening in service which enabled us to put our son to sleep and than have a nice adult only dinner in the hotel.
Facilities: pool is nice and warm, changing rooms were clean...absolutely no issues there. We left our son for two mornings with the Fours Bears Den team and he came back saying he wants to go again. So a win win for all!
Food: i think this is the part where the hotel gains the most points with adults. This is very well thought through. Parents can either eat with their kids from 6 pm or the kids can have a kids tea from 5 pm while the parents enjoy a drink. We decided for this option on all 3 nights so we had an adult only meal in the rstaurant each evening. The food is very good and fish is, as you would expect, locally sourced and you can find a lot of fish dishes on the menu.
Staff: very friendly throughout. The staff from the Four Bears den which are also around during kids dinner are enthusiastic, friendly and great with the kids. There wasn't a single moment when I felt uncomfortable with a toddler in such nice surroundings and he enjoyed charging around the various rooms, discovering books and toys in various corners of the hotel.

Would definitely return to Fowey hall or try out another hotel of the chain. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear 'Carpediem010'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your family break at Fowey Hall and enjoyed all the facilities we have to offer. It's great news you are thinking of trying some of the other fantastic hotels in our group too!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

My wife and I visited for lunch.Fowey Hall is beautifully situated in an elevated position with views down into Fowey. It was a fine day and we could easily have sat outside on the terrace but we chose to eat in the dining room which was clean and comfortable although the background music was not to my taste. Service was friendly and perfectly fine for a relaxing lunch. Food although not really memorable was none the less good.We would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Cant comment on the rooms as we did not stay in the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear 'Robert R'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your lunch at Fowey Hall.

We hope to welcome you back to again soon.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We arrived after a four and a half hour drive from Oxford. Welcomed by the happy, courteous staff we immediately felt special. We stayed in a room called Claire on the first floor of the main house which was furnished in antique furniture and had a wonderful view of the harbour. My six year old son enjoyed every minute and there was always lots for him to do. The Four Bears Den offered a free two hour slot every day, enabling me some valuable time. There is also a games room, free borrowing of books and DVDs and three times a day large screen film shows. Outside was just as good with a trampoline and a zip wire. It's an extremely safe place for children which meant I could happily relax. The food was heavenly and I did send my compliments to the chef. Beef Wellington, the best I'd ever tasted. Every single one of the staff were helpful, professional and cheerful, I just hope they're not poached before our next stay, yes I've already booked it! Although the darling of the 'staff' was Bramble, the gentle, friendly lady of Fowey Hall. She is an amazing dog and be warned you will want to take her home with you, but that's definitely not allowed. However you can take her for walks with you during your stay. I'm actually hesitating to post this as I really don't want everyone else knowing what a gem of a hotel this is and would rather keep it to myself. But that would be selfish of me, wouldn't it? Oh okay I'll share but don't you all go booking up and leaving me no room at this heavenly' Inn'.

Room Tip: We stayed in Deluxe View Double which I highly recommend.
3  Thank JennyBaldwin
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear 'JennyBaldwin'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us -'the best hotel I've ever stayed in- wow we couldn't ask for better feedback than that!

We hope to welcome you back to Fowey Hall again soon.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

The first thing that struck me on entering Fowey Hall was the wonderful smell of log fires mingling with fresh lilies. Both smells will now always remind me of this beautiful place. We spent 6 nights here (my husband and I, our 4 yr old daughter and sons aged 1 and 2, plus my elderly father). We were in John Hanson which is a family suite on the first floor. It was perfect for us with a large room for my husband and me, a small but bright room with bunk beds for our children, a large bathroom and a separate cloakroom. My father was in a room in the garden wing. Our room was more traditional in style than his which was a good mix of contemporary and period. Our room wasn't perfect - we would prefer a super kingsize duvet as the bed was super king, and the large bathroom had a pathetically small shower cubicle when there is oodles of space for a luxury large one. The water also wasn't boiling hot but was fine as long as you didn't run the cold when filling the gorgeous claw foot bath.

The restaurant is in the original wood panelled dining room and is gorgeous. The food is excellent. I really enjoyed everything I ate (which was a lot - don't go if you don't want to put on weight!). Breakfast was served in the informal garden room which was lovely - very bright and airy but a bit noisy when the hotel was busy (as it was for the second half of our stay). Breakfast was excellent - usual buffet of cereals, fruit, croissants, delicious danish pastries etc and delicious cooked dishes made to order. Service is friendly although sometimes mistakes were made and the waiting team were struggling on a couple of occasions. Lunches are served in the attractive morning room. Lunch food is very expensive (over-priced) as are drinks (tea and coffee exorbitantly so).

The kids' club is excellent - lots of very friendly staff and our three loved going every morning. Having two child-free hours to relax in the wonderful drawing room was such a luxury for us.

The building is stunning with so much character and charm, and lots of different areas to sit and relax.

The most wonderful thing is the attitude towards children. Our elder two ran around making a noise as did others and we never felt that they were causing a nuisance - the staff were always happy to play and talk to them and we didn't ever feel that people were tutting at the noise or their behaviour. This is so important when holidaying with children. It is so child-focussed that parents really can relax and know that their kids are happy and not upsetting other guests.

If I had the money I would be there every school holiday but sadly it was a once in a lifetime treat.

Room Tip: John Hanson is a lovely large family suite with a sitting area in the turret. It has views of the se...
1  Thank wiltshiremummy

Dear 'wiltshiremummy'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your family break at Fowey Hall and thank you for your feedback and comments mentioned within your review.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We had a lovely warm welcome by the staff at Fowey Hall Hotel. We have stayed there before and this was our third stay. The hotel is beautifully decorated and has a lovely homely feel and we particuluarly like the real open fireplaces which certainly welcomes you back after a nice long walk. We stayed in a room called "James". Both the room and bathroom are beautifully decorated and of a very generous size. This room is on the first floor and we enjoyed stunning views over Fowey. The bed was big and comfortable which was important to us as we sleep in a super king at home. We enjoyed an excellent meal in the restaurant and the food was of a very high standard and the service was excellent. We enjoyed a similar experience for breakfast too. The spa treatment we had was very good although I would have prefered a darker room. We loved using the outdoor jacuzzi which surely enjoys the best view over Fowey.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear 'Parton865'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your third stay with us and find the hotel welcoming and homely.

We hope to welcome you back to again soon for your fourth visit!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

My wife and I decided to extend our visit to Cornwall and booked the Fowey Hotel for 1 night

For us we found it to be excellent, yes it is not a modern hotel and in some areas it needs updating but the outstanding 5 * SERVICE, Great FOOD and SUPERB VIEWS ensures we will be staying here next time we are in Cornwall.

WFG

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view room the views are superb
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear 'Ugunda'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your 'quick visit' to Fowey Hall and found the service to be 5*!

We hope to welcome you back again soon for a little longer next time!

Chris Williams (General Manager) & The Fowey Hall Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fowey
The Fowey Hotel
The Old Quay House Hotel
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa

Been to Fowey Hall? Share your experiences!