“Wonderful Stay”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fowey
Reading
“Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed at the hotel for 3 nights to include breakfast and dinner on 2 of the nights. As soon as we walked into the hotel we were greeted by staff. The food was amazing! Shame I'm pregnant as I couldn't sample the wine selection which was diverse. Staff had good knowledge of drinks and food. All food is locally sourced and you could tell from the taste. Really liked the small touches, lit candles at dinner table, white table cloths, attentive staff, did not pounce on you as soon as you've finished your mains hounding you for desserts, left a good time between courses

FoweyHallHotel, Restaurant Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Hanwool

Thank you for your great review, it sounds as though you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and loved eating in our restaurant, James (our chef) has some great local suppliers that bring us the best Cornish ingredients daily. Do come back and see us again, we are a very family orientated hotel with a free crèche which you may find useful in the coming months!

Best wishes for your new arrival.

Martin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This place is a little gem, the views are stunning, the service is friendly and the Hotel is gorgeous. I was pleasantly surprised by this Hotel as it was a late booking made through Mr & Mrs Smith. The environment is so relaxed but grand at the same time. We had super weather which is always a bonus so was able to fully appreciate the outside space for drinks. Fowey is a beautiful spot and one I return to time after time so to find somewhere so fabulous to stay is wonderful. We had dinner in the restaurant Saturday night of which was top notch; the onion bread was very special indeed. The staff were lovely and welcoming, I took a day trip to Newquay and visited the Headland Hotel for lunch, this place was awful and just made our spot in Fowey all the more amazing, please do not go to Headland. If you’re in two minds about booking this place, go on do it, you won’t be disappointed. We never went to the Spa so can’t comment but I'm sure it’s wonderful. Thanks for making our two nights stay special; the fire burning of an evening even though in July was a lovely touch whilst finishing off our glass of bubbles.

Room Tip: My Room was Joseph - lovely - bathroom was great.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Just4Donna

Thank you for your great review on Tripadvisor and for choosing Fowey Hall when you visited Fowey. I agree with you that the town is lovely, I think what makes it so special is that it is still a working town, with boat yards, a small fishing fleet, mussel farm and clay works as well traditional tea rooms, pubs and shops etc for visitors. This gives a very "real" feeling to Fowey.

Now that you have found us, I look forward to welcoming you back to Fowey Hall soon.

Warm regards.

Chris Williams
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Having managed Fowey Hall 20 years ago I was intrigued to see what changes there were to the place. It was difficult to recognise parts of the building as it had been lovingly restored & an extra wing added. The staff we encountered were friendly & had a real pride in the building. The views across Fowey are truly awesome. The reason I have only given 4* was that everywhere was strewn with dirty dishes & table tops encrusted with crumbs & water marks on the glass surfaces, no attempt was made to clean this whilst we were there.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank PhilB505
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Phil

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit with us, I'm sorry I didn't get the opportunity to have a chat with you it would have been interesting to compare notes after 20 years. It sounds as though you enjoyed yourselves (with the exception of some of the tables being left untidy which I will run through with Martin our restaurant manager) we have now completed a full refurbishment of the bedrooms and public areas.

When you visit again please let me know so that I can introduce myself and perhaps show you around.

Chris Williams.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at Fowey Hall for two nights and found it to be a very special place. Its location, above Fowey, gives you great views as you sit on the terrace or wander around the extensive gardens accompanied by the resident Spaniel, Bramble. The rooms are incredibly spacious and stylishly furnished. We were in two separate rooms and both were found to be very quiet at night. Dining, whether at breakfast, lunch or dinner is of a very high standard. The staff are very personable and professional and are always there to offer help and advice. This is a hotel that caters for people with young families and while there is a separate and spacious dining area for young children, those who are not accompanied by children may want to book a place for dinner slightly later in the evening when the younger guests are finishing as the two areas are not completely separated. We would definitely go back in future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
FoweyHallHotel, Deputy Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear M0nB1

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review, I was touched by your comments describing Fowey Hall as a "special place" to stay. We aim to create a home from home atmosphere with a friendly, caring style of service and it sounds as though your really enjoyed it. I will pass on your feedback to our team and give Bramble a tickle on the tum from you!

We hope to see you back with us soon.

Mel
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My friend and I shared an afternoon tea with two glasses of proseco in their lounge with a log fire in the summer. The scones were so light and deliciously warm. What was amazing about the service was that we were attended by 9 (!) separate waiters and waitresses from giving the order to paying the bill. Either the hotel has too many staff or they liked to give them a go at everything! It made it a fun afternoon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bob H
FoweyHallHotel, Restaurant Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Bob

It was a pleasure to look after you and your guest when you came for afternoon tea. Thank you for your feedback and the review on Tripadvisor, I will pass on your comments about the scones to Joe our pastry chef who makes a fresh batch every day. Chris our General Manager has also had a word with me about the 9 team members who looked after you as I may have blown the budget!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We were on a day trip to Fowey, having left Bristol at 8am and travelled to Par by Steam Train. Whilst we only had a total of 3 hrs once we arrived at Fowey, we walked around the harbour and town then made our way back to the main car park for our bus back to the station at 5. However we had 40 mins to wait and just happened to wander into this fabulous garden with beautiful views. It really was a hidden gem as we had no idea it was a few steps from the car park. We ordered a cream tea with a glass of local bubbly, which was really delicious. The service was very good and it was lovely to see young families enjoying the grounds. our only disappointment was that we did not have enough time to experience all that Fowey Hall has to offer, however it is definitely on our list to go back and stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
FoweyHallHotel, Restaurant Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Kate

Thank you for coming in for afternoon tea on your recent visit to Fowey and for leaving us a review on Tripadvisor, we work really hard to encourage visitors to Fowey to come and have lunch, dinner or afternoon tea at Fowey Hall, as it is such a special place. I was pleased to also read that you plan to come back and stay with us so I look forward to meeting you when you do so.

Kind regards.

Oslo
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Just spent 5 nights here in a family suite with turret room. Generally, the hotel is charming, characterful with a relaxed, easy vibe. Positives: charm, location, views, lovely staff, fab hotel dog Brambles; v. child & dog friendly, characterful rooms with antique furniture, fab lounges to hang out in, child-friendly pool, well-kept grounds. Negatives: not luxury as advertised - higher end yes, luxury no; disorganised breakfast routine with forgetful service, presentation of breakfast not great (tasted good though - and cooked to order regional produce so proper food), charged in my local currency at unfavourable rate - a bit naughty. Overall would definitely recommend for families and/or those travelling with dogs

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Evjoshel

Thank you for your feedback following your visit with us, it sounds as though overall you really enjoyed your stay, it was kind of you to also mention the team who do work really hard to help all our guests have a wonderful experience here. You mention a couple of ares that may have let us down, I am sorry if they took the shine off your trip in any way.

I will run though with Cherish (our breakfast supervisor) ways in which we can improve the smooth running of breakfast and I will contact our bank with regard the setting of exchange rates to ensure we are offering a competitive one.

In terms of us saying we are a "Luxury" hotel, this is a bit tricky as luxury will of course be very different for each guest that comes to stay, I would say the luxury elements of what we do are the way in which we really care and look after all our guests (young ones, older ones and in-between ones!) and ensure they have a memorable time in this lovely old home, which may admittedly be showing its age a little. We do have though a rolling program of refurbishment and next winter we are working on the Garden Wing rooms as well as the sash windows and roof.

Please let me know if you are planning another visit as I would like to take care of your booking personally.

Kind regards.

Chris Williams.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fowey
The Fowey Hotel
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Talland Bay Hotel
Talland Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Porthallow

Been to Fowey Hall? Share your experiences!