“An amazing family hotel”
Review of Fowey Hall

Fowey Hall
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fowey
“An amazing family hotel”
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is amazing, I have been coming here for 11 years and if anything it just gets better.
I've been in many different types of rooms here but this I decided to go for the massive "large suite" a whopping 5 room (2 bedroom) spectacular series of rooms also containing 2 baths and a shower not forgetting the 2 TVs.
Overall a very lovely hotel...

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Lol1050
FoweyHallHotel, Front Office Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Dear 'Lol1050'

Thank you for leaving such a lovely review on Tripadvisor - it is great you keep coming back year on year and feel like it keeps getting better!

We hope to welcome you back for your 12th visit soon!

With kind regards

Mel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed for 4 nights in August for an excellent family break. The hotel caters to families and the two little one's had a wail of a time.

The hotel is laid out to make entertaining the kids an easy pass time rather than full on frontal assault...

These guys clearly understand the family dynamic and play there roles almost without missing a beat so the grown ups can let there hair down too. Sure it's reasonably pricey but the food is excellent and of a very high caliber. The menu's and drinks are well thought out, and it's easy to see much time has gone into thinking about your stay. The hotel is more shabby sheek in style but with the edges knocked off you don't have to worry about the children so much. The room was similar, old in style, but generally worked fine. Don't expect modern flat screen TV but there was a working DVD with TV and some well chosen movies floating around to entertain and worked fine for us.

Dining is an important part of the day here, with good breakfasts and again nothing too much for the staff to ensure the kinds and therefore the parents are happy.

The hotel is located in a great position for wonderful views and nice hearty walks into Fowey. There's plenty to do to keep you occupied here and makes you feel like lord of the manor.

The closest beach Readymoney is a 15min walk away but worth the trek as is truly stunning.

I would recommend Fowey Hall and the others in the group a tremendous set up we only wish they had a few spread round Europe for us to explore...

Room Tip: We had a suite with a second room for the children which was great. The more expensive ones have a b...
1 Thank neilh044
FoweyHallHotel, Front Office Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear 'neilh044'

Thank you for your 5 star review - I was so pleased to read you enjoyed your family break with us and it sounds like your children had fun too - happy children = happy parents!

We hope to welcome you and your family back again soon

All the best

Mel
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Booked last minute to take a friend for afternoon tea at this hotel. We sat outside as it was lovely weather. Staff very polite and quick to take our order and afternoon tea arrived very quick. Full afternoon tea consisted of various finger sandwiches, salmon, ham, egg and of course cucumber and were all fresh and tasted lovely. Lots of cakes eg fruit cake, macaroons, chocholate and cream eclairs, bananna and walnut cake and a rasberry victoria cake slices served along with warm fresh scones with plenty of jam and clotted cream. Only fault if I had one was that the filter coffee could of been hotter. I have read the other reviews and yes maybe a little more expensive than other places but then this was a birthday treat so I didn't mind splashing out a bit more than I usually would. Kids and dogs welcome at this hotel and in the hotel grounds there were plenty for kids play with...zip wire, trampoline, racket games, swing ball tire swings to name a few. The little 4 year old I took along was delighted and loved it there.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank teresajsweet
FoweyHallHotel, Restaurant Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Teresa

Thank you for leaving us such a lovely review after you joined us for afternoon tea. When the sun shines the terrace and gardens are a great place for younger ones to run around and play while grown-ups can relax and enjoy afternoon tea looking across the Fowey Estuary. Please come back and see us again soon and I promise we'll serve you hot coffee!

Martin
epsom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Paid nearly £ 2000 for a three night bed and breakfast stay here and I must say that i found the whole experience a bit of a rip off. I cannot see how these places can justify their prices. I have stayed in quite a few higher end hotels - i think Fowey Hall tries to portray itself at this end of the market, especially with their room rates. The building itself is beautiful, however our room - The Lady hanson - was very average - quite cramped - it was sold to us as a suite - be careful - this was not a suite - it was two rooms with a connecting corridor. There was nowhere comfortable to sit & relax - only a ridiculous antique sofa not fit for purpose - we traveled as a family of four - 2 kids under 10 and we could not stay in the "suite" for longer than was absolutely necessary, due to the cramped conditions. The double bed was small, hard and very springy - The bathrooms was average, nothing special - showing signs of wear and tear - dirty and cracked grout etc. There was quite a lot of noise at night from the kitchen underneath our room. We left one day early as we were just not sleeping well but the hotel still charged us for the extra night ..... what a cheek, especially after I explained why we were leaving early. The only positive was a good restaurant, although again, quite toppy with their prices - I will not be returning here and will not be recommending it to anyone. You have been warned.

Room Tip: Avoid the Lady Hanson Room
2 Thank balearic_dick
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Balearic

I'm glad that I have had the opportunity to talk with you following your recent visit with us and apologise in person. Whilst I would disagree with your assessment of your room, I acknowledge that you were unhappy with it and I apologise for that. Ultimately running a hotel for me, is about making guests happy and I'm sorry that you left unhappy. I do hope you will take me up on our offer of a return visit with our complements.

Chris Williams
London
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed for a few days with our boys (aged 11 and 12) and had a very relaxing break. It was quiet busy as it was the school holidays but there is so much for the kids to do and the grounds are so big that it was easy not feel it was crowded. The food was very good. I had some spa treatments which were also nice. The only thing that was slightly annoying was that the service was quiet slow. A couple of mornings we waited ages for coffee, we had to chase drinks we had ordered in the evening. This may have been to do with how busy it was, but it did let down the otherwise excellent stay.

1 Thank RealWomen
Dear Real Woman London

Thanks for giving us a 5 star review, it does sound as though you and your family had a great time during your stay with us. I am sorry though that the service at breakfast and for drinks in the evening, I shall run through your feedback with Martin our restaurant manager and we will act upon it, whilst we are very busy over the summer holidays, we plan for it and that is no excuse for slow service.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Chris Williams.
littlehampton
Reviewed 17 August 2014

service excellent. the room in the converted ? left a bit to be desired, plug socket for kettle no near the table, also a small fridge would have helpful
We stayed for 2 nights and found the staff friendly and helpful and knowledgeable

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rosemaryasmith1
FoweyHallHotel, Deputy Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Rosemary

Thank you for your "Little bit of heaven" review! I'm really pleased that you found the team to be friendly and knowledgeable when you visited us. I think your were in the courtyard rooms which are a minutes walk from the main hotel, we do have portable fridges and I'm sorry that we didn't offer you one. Please contact me when you are thinking of a return trip I would like to take care of your booking personally as well as ensure we pop a fridge into your room.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Fowey Hall.

Mel.
Tavistock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were lucky enough to receive a 'Tea for two' experience at the hotel , as an anniversary present. We had the pleasure of spending a lovely afternoon on the hotel terrace and attempted to devour an enormous selection of delicious sandwiches and cakes. I'm afraid that they defeated us, but the hotel happily boxed up the remainder for us to bring home. We couldn't fault the setting, service or the food at this lovely hotel. We would go out of our way in future, to drop in at the hotel for lunch, rather than eat in the town.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
FoweyHallHotel, Restaurant Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Tina

Thank you for coming to Fowey Hall to celebrate your anniversary and for leaving us such a great review on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure to look after you for your afternoon tea on our terrace, the sun even shone!

Please come back and see us soon.

Martin.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fowey
The Fowey Hotel
Talland Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Porthallow
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate

Been to Fowey Hall? Share your experiences!