“Fantastic Hotel, Fantastic Staff”
Review of The Fowey Hotel

The Fowey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Fowey
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This hotel has two major advantages, the views and the staff. The view from the rooms overlooking the river are magical. If your room does not have a view then a Gin and Tonic on the veranda is not a bad way to spend an evening watching river life go by. The staff were some of the best I have come across at a Hotel, they were attentive without being pushy and all those we met, had a smile on their face and appeared to enjoy what they were doing (even the night porter). Rooms were clean and a complementary bottle of wine on arrival was a nice touch. We really enjoyed the food. Although on a BBD deal, most of the dinner menu carried a supplement which was a little disappointing. If you have not booked any parking at the hotel, you have to park in the local car park which is a bit of a slog uphill from the hotel. (we were there during mussel and ale weekend and there were plenty of spaces) Beware of the parking charges, they are not clear and £7.60 is the daily charge, not £5.60 as displayed. Really enjoyed are weekend stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants somewhere a little special and good out fashioned service.

1  Thank fancyapintortwo
Christopher B, General Manager at The Fowey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear fancyapintortwo,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

I am flattered at your comments regarding the views and staff at the hotel, I am sure the team will be just as pleased with your review as I am.

I think the word magical certainly goes a long way in describing what views the rooms have to offer. The sun certainly helps the day go by with a G&T on the veranda as a must do when staying with us.

We believe in adding value to our packages, so a bottle of wine is the least we can do to help welcome you to the hotel.

I am surprised at your comments about our menu, we offer three dishes per course that do not carry a supplement for all of our dinner, bed & breakfast guests. We do our best to absorb the costs on our other offerings, but locally sustained and sourced products carry a slightly higher cost. We believe that the produce on offer in Cornwall is some of the best out there, well worth that little extra spend.

Parking can be a little difficult, but we will always do our best to get you parked with minimum fuss, we are also always happy to take customers to and from their parked vehicle at their own convenience. It's the least we can do.

Please do let me know if I can be of any assistance with a future visit to Fowey.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was our first stop in a three-week holiday to the UK from Australia. We found so much to like! The views alone (from our room, the dining room, bar, balcony and gardens) would have done it for us but there was also the location, the helpful staff, the vintage style and atmosphere. We spent most of our time traipsing about the countryside and strolling by the water which was just as well as (free) parking spots are like hen's teeth. One minor but curious thing; I asked the wait staff what the large body of water outside the window was. Two said "Wouldn't have a clue". One had lived in Fowey all her life! The third hazarded a guess - the southern end of the English Channel. At the earliest opportunity, he looked it up to verify (it was) and we had a delightful conversation. A small thing but appreciated.

Room Tip: Our room facing the water was quiet and comfortably appointed. It was, unfortunately hot and stuffy...

Dear Lee M,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

We are very lucky to have the spot we do in the town, we have some of the best views on offer to any hotel in the county. An attribute that only enhances our daily work routine at the hotel.

I was, however disappointed to read that our staff couldn't impart the local knowledge of the Estuary. A lesson that the team have now been shown by myself in a mini training session.
The water rises at Fowey Well (originally Cornish: Fenten Fowi, meaning spring of the river Fowey) about 1-mile (1.6 km) north-west of Brown Willy on Bodmin Moor, not far from one of its tributaries rising at Dozmary Pool and Colliford Lake, passes Lanhydrock House, Restormel Castle and Lostwithiel, then broadens at Milltown before joining the English Channel at Fowey. The estuary is called Uzell (Cornish: Usel, meaning howling place). It is only navigable by larger craft for the last 7 miles (11 km). There is a ferry between Fowey and Bodinnick. The first road crossing going upstream is in Lostwithiel. The river has seven tributaries, the largest being the River Lerryn. The section of the Fowey Valley between Doublebois and Bodmin Parkway railway station is known as the Glynn Valley (Cornish: Glyn, meaning deep wooded valley). The valley is the route of both the A38 trunk road and the railway line (built by the Cornwall Railway in 1859). The railway line is carried on eight stone viaducts along this stretch

I would be delighted to assist you with a return visit in the future. I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed only one night (due to travelling around) but will certainly be returning. The views from the bar and balcony were so beautiful with the little boats coming and going - it was just a different pace of life which was also reflected in the ambience of the hotel. The room was lovely and had an large bathroom with separate shower. The location is excellent with just a short walk through the garden area to the town which is so quaint. The car parking is a bit limited however the staff were very helpful with regards to this. Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Try and book a sea view room rather than inland

Dear Pat H,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

It's lovely to read you had the pleasure of the view we have on offer, a little sunshine seems to help make all the difference. We believe that all of our guests deserve to relax, unwind and dine in style.

We are very fortunate to have such a beautiful arrangement of bedrooms, that are very well appointed.

I will be sure to pass on your kind feedback to the team.

Please do let me know if I can be of any assistance with a future stay in Fowey.

I look forward to welcoming back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We have had many a mini break here and love it. Try to get a deal as they are around. Very friendly, harks back to professional, slightly formal service of years gone by, yet friendly too. Beautiful spot, well maintained hotel, lovely breakfasts; a real treat!

Room Tip: Try for a lower ground room, fab balconies!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear janebcooper,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

I am delighted that enjoyed your recent stay with us, I will be sure to pass on your very kind feedback to the team.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

My wife and I last visited a few years ago. This time we had a sea-facing attic room - very roomy, lovely views albeit small windows(and quite pricey). Most disappointed with the evening meal; the sirloin steak was more like braised steak and vegetables undercooked, almost raw. Most annoyingly, having booked DBB, we discovered that 80% of the menu choices incurred quite steep surcharges eg the "sirloin" steak was an extra £10. On the plus side, breakfast was nicely cooked and presented, staff were very helpful and courteous and the hotel exudes old fashioned charm, including its idiosyncratic lift !

Room Tip: Go for 106 or 206 - lovely sea views from large bay windows. Avoid 3rd floor rooms - likely to get t...

Dear spindar,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

I am disappointed to read that you did not find our food offering in the restaurant to your satisfaction. I am afraid to say that we do not have a sirloin steak on our Al la carte menu, it is a locally sourced Fillet Steak that goes down very well with all of our customers. There is a £10 supplement against the dish if you are on a dinner, bed & breakfast package I admit. We will always provide our guests with a daily changing table d'hôte, generally across the industry this is a menu of around three choices per course. This is the standard that we offer, which will often include dishes like Duck breast or Guinea Fowl, we believe in locally sourced produce, which a large majority of our menu is, higher quality produce does come at a cost to us, costs which we do our best to absorb so our customers have a fair price.

Thank you for your kind comments about the team, I will be sure to pass your feedback on to them all.

Our lift was commissioned in 1932 and adds greatly to the character of our buildings charm, I would even go as far as to say its one of the most reliable I have worked with.

I would be delighted to help you with a future stay at the hotel, please do feel free to come direct to myself with any enquiry you may have.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I just wanted to say a big thank you to all the staff at The Fowey hotel for a lovely relaxing break we had last week.
We are regular visitors to the Fowey hotel (at least twice a year) and have strong family ties with the area. We visited the hotel in February with our son and his fiancée to give them a pre-wedding break but felt let down by the hotel. The food was as always exceptional which went to some way making the break a little enjoyable. The parking was a shambles and the restaurant service was slow to say the least, so we were very wary to come back. We had many a long discussion and internet searching for other hotels in the area but decided to give the hotel another chance. I am glad we did. It was exceptional. The parking has now been improved by named parking spaces. The food has improved (if it could) with lots of choice. The service was very slick and the staff very friendly and only to pleased to help you. We went on a garden break so decided to go to The Lost Gardens of Heligan at the hotels expense. Lovely weather and a very enjoyable day.
We are hoping to go back in September as the hotel now does a loyalty scheme of 10% off.
Once again many thanks to all the staff for a relaxing and very enjoyable break.

Dear Branns,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

You're very welcome from all of us at the hotel, it's always a pleasure for us to be able to make our customers stay an enjoyable one, especially if it is an improvement on your previous experience with us.

Myself and the others managers at the hotel have made marked improvements on areas we felt we were letting ourselves down on.

Please do let me know if you would me to assist you with another visit in conjunction with one of our garden breaks.

And once again you are very welcome, I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Having received various suggestions where to stay in Fowey, we plumped for The Fowey Hotel and, from the time the reservation was made with Richardson's Central reservation office to the time we checked out we had not a single reason to regret our decision. The staff arranged parking on-site, which I appreciate may not always be possible. Our early arrival was handled in exemplary fashion. The staff in Reception, in the bar and the sitting rooms, in the Restaurant and elsewhere were friendly, well up to the various demands we made upon them and notably polite. The bedroom was comfortable and clean. The restaurant gave us a meal which was on a par with anywhere else we ate in the neighbourhood. I think the average age [ the christening party apart] was probably over 50 ...but we are too! Even a Fire Alarm [triggered by the electrical storm at 2am] was efficiently dealt with guests being advised they could return to their rooms before having to congregate outside.

2  Thank hunger4d
Christopher B, General Manager at The Fowey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear hunger4d,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you chose us as your place to stay in Fowey. We are all very flattered to read your wonderful review of the hotel and our services.

I will be sure to pass on all of your great feedback to the rest of the team.

Please do let me know if I can of any assistance with a future visit to Fowey.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chris Bailey-Lewis

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fowey
The Old Quay House Hotel
#1 of 4 in Truro
Talland Bay Hotel
Talland Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Porthallow

Been to The Fowey Hotel? Share your experiences!