“Fowey is gorgeous and is wonderfully situated on a beautiful estuary”
Review of Fowey Estuary

Fowey Estuary
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Fowey
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I visited with my friend on a cold winter's day but the splendours of Fowey can be appreciated in any weather. I would recommend anyone coming well out of season NOT to pay for a carpark (how I hate pay and display!) as there are parking spaces on the Esplanade and beyond and you are not then wondering about how long you want to stay. We did not make it up to Readymoney Cove (which is a lovely setting) on this occasion which is certainly a must at some point. One of Daphne du Maurier's houses is next to it and you can have a cream tea there. There is a small shop in Fowey itself which has a small history of her works and life as well. Another must is to take the ferry to Polruan, in the rough weather this can be slightly difficult and if you have mobility problems it could be rather problematic to say the least. You have to step down into the boat and when the sea is rough as it was when we took it the water covers all of the steps down from the harbour. We had problems docking on the way back, and had to climb back on the harbour's edge via the ladder on the wall (and I nearly got my foot stuck behind it which gave the ferryman a fright). The streets are winding throughout Fowey, there are some enviable houses and there are some fantastic views. One of my favourite places in Cornwall. Next time I go I shall do the Hall Walk back to Fowey from Polruan

All reviews
in 26 reviews
"pubs and restaurants"
"watch the world"
in 13 reviews
"plenty of places to eat"
"pretty place"
"hall walk"
in 25 reviews
"steep walk"

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We have been visiting the Fowey Estuary and surrounding area for many years. Take a small ferry boat over to Polruan and back. Walk past the fine harbour and through the narrow streets to Ready Money Cove - Magic!
The house where Daphne du Maurier lived during the second world war is just opposite and serves cream teas - Delicious!
ENJOY

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

I love how people are complaining about the town being stuck in a time warp with narrow streets. Well being an Ancient port,that's what you would expect. I'm presuming these reviewers are Americans whose bland long roads and terrible architecture don't match European standards. In short though Fowey is a wonderful town with lots to do.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

Having spent the last 5 years visiting st ives in Cornwall, we wanted to try somewhere else. On recommendation we went to fowey. What a mistake!
Visiting the few local shops was a challange, it was like walking down a main road, we spent evey few seconds moving into shop doorways with our dogs, avoiding cars. I understand the locals would like the street closed, but 2 shops are objecting!
We will not be returning, dangerous road to shop along, limited shops, and to top it all the worst beaches we have seen. In the summer the very small beach (readymoney cove) propably looks nice, lovely people in the shops, friendly locals.
Do not visit parsands, there is a factory to the right - not shown in all the photos, I wonder why? There was brown foam, dirty sand and a smell!
Sorry fowey we will not be visiting again. We actually departed from our holiday early.

1  Thank nickycnc