“Fantastic and highly recommended”

The Old Quay House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fowey
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My husband and I have just returned home following a stay at The Old Quay House. We received a fantastic welcome when we arrived and our stay got even better. I am quite fussy regarding hotel rooms, but we could not fault our room which is cleaned to the highest standard and had everything we needed, even down to shower proof jackets. We ate in the restaurant on two evenings and the food was first class and cooked perfectly to the highest standard. The breakfast was also wonderful with a great selection of pastries, cereals and yoghurt together with a selection of omelettes, eggs benedict and cooked breakfast etc all cooked to order. We regularly sat on the terrace and shared a bottle of wine just watching the world go by. Thank you to all the staff at The Old Quay House for making our stay truly wonderful. Big thanks to the chef and waiting staff you work so hard to deliver a first class service and you succeed in every way. We can't wait to go back so until we meet again, continue what you are doing.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon S

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I never write reviews but my husband and I have just returned from a 5 day break which was so marvellous that I felt moved to review it!

I cannot believe the last review and wonder whether the reviewer actually stayed at the same hotel?

The hotel was wonderful, beautifully positioned right on the harbour (in fact the terrace is actually in the harbour),with lovely rooms and staff that could not be more helpful! Stupidly, we managed to book for 3 nights instead of 4 which necessitated a room move on the last night and the hotel staff moved all our stuff for us, seamlessly and without any fuss or inconvenience to us. The hotel's attitude is that nothing is too much trouble - breakfast in bed at no extra charge, later checkout times at no extra charge and even "would you like us to bring your luggage to the foyer or to your car in the car park?"

The bed was exceedingly comfy and bigger than our Superking back home, the roll top bath was so deep that when I flipped over on to my front you could not see my head. The hotel had anticipated our every need - even ear plugs, just in case the Seagulls were too noisy! All this and the best views of the harbour from my bed.

We had breakfast every morning and my husband (who is very picky) stated that he had the best Eggs Benedict that he had ever tasted - I cannot comment as I had the "full Cornish" with fresh Cornish bacon made by the butcher just a few doors down.

I never write reviews because I am usually disappointed - I spend ages researching a trip away and this means that I often "over invest" so that by the time I get to the hotel, it is never as nice as I had imagined it to be. I can honestly say that this was not the case with The Old Quay House Hotel at Fowey, it exceeded my expectations in every respect and I cannot wait until we can visit again!

Angie and Peregrine Nicholls - Wiltshire

Room Tip: Room 12 had the most amazing views across the harbour
1  Thank Angela N
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We booked for 2 nights and the stay was not cheap! Upon arrival,great service-room pretty good also.There was drilling and building works next door which spoilt things but this was not the hotel's fault.Now the bad bit,the restaurant-very very poor indeed.First evening,we went out and about and returned at 8.50 with last bookings for 9,the place was very quiet and when we entered the staff looked at us as to say"Not now,i want to go home!" Anyway my wife ordered the sea bass and i the steak with beans as a veggie side.the sea bass was raw-yes raw and we took a photo of it and the steak was chewy,overdone and quickly cooked.The beans were old and curly(at £4 a pop as well per portion).We did in fairness not have to pay after our complaint,next morning at breakfast there were 4-5 couples only.the staff didn't have a clue what was going on,people were moaning asking where their food was.The waitress brought us over orders from other guests three times! We had to wait 30 minutes for toast and another 40 mins for the cooked breakfast.The restaurant to this delightful hotel is the achilles heel and is very very poor indeed.I have stayed at many hotels across the country and have to say the food and service here was probably the worst encountered,the saving grace for them on this review was that the reception service and rooms were great.Will i go again,probably not-sorry!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife took me to The Old Quay House Hotel for my birthday and I was completely blown away! The hotel is tucked into the perfect location in the centre of Fowey, a charming village on the Cornish coast, filled with the sights and sounds of a simpler life. From the moment we arrived, the staff was there to make our stay special. The hotel is surprisingly modern, with an upscale but friendly atmosphere. Our room, though on the small side, was very well appointed and very comfortable. The hotel has it's own fantastic restaurant on the ground floor where we had a cooked to order breakfast every morning and a dinner that was beyond description on my birthday! This is one special hotel and restaurant, staffed by people who care...and it shows! We will definitely return for a stay in the near future!

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We called in for a cuppa on a boiling hot afternoon. Although lunches had barely finished we were made very welcome and we sat on the decking with a superb view of Fowey harbour. What a delicious cup of tea ... three each in fact from generous large pots. Great service. I will definitely go back. Nicely priced at £3.80 for two. Well done in the toilet facilities too, clean with gorgeous soap. Thank you.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. From the moment I stepped in, I was made to feel welcome and the staff were both knowledgeable and attentive. Stayed in a room with a partial quay view, this was great because you could see all the drama of the goings on in the quay, including the Regatta on Saturday afternoon.
The breakfast was cooked to order with a buffet for cereals, granola and pastries, bagels and croissants. The coffee was excellent, smooth, freshly roasted. I had the Eggs Florentine, which were cooked to perfection!!
The dinner was very good value, esp the Duck for starter and Risotto for main.
The staff and owners are to be congratulated on their attention to detail, I will certainly be back.

Room Tip: The penthouse!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The Old Quay House lived up to all our expectations. The setting was perfect for our anniversary weekend away in Cornwall. We soon realised the pace of life here was different, when we were told to pull our car up outside the hotel to unload our bags. In doing so we completely blocked the road (all 8 feet of it) holding up the traffic behind. And guess what, nobody cared! Just relax. Great food and service too. A drink on the terrace over the water is a must.
One small point. Room 3 is very hot in the evenings, we think because it is over the kitchen.

Room Tip: Room 3 is hot at night. Even with the ceiling fan on.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fowey
The Fowey Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
#1 of 24 in Falmouth
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate

Been to The Old Quay House Hotel? Share your experiences!