“Enhancement and Learning in a very relaxed environment.”

Belle Isle Cookery School
Ranked #10 of 34 things to do in Enniskillen
Bangor, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Enhancement and Learning in a very relaxed environment.”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I have just returned from a weekend at Belle Isle, and despite its spectacularly beautiful location, the school is managed and the learning process delivered in a fantastic manner.

This was my second visit and as an Xmas gift, the first for my wife. The two day corse involved the preparation of around 12-15 different dishes in a very homely culinary classroom setting which was carried out with the enthusiastic assistance of all the staff involved.

Special credit to the tutor / chef Joe Kelly who delivered the course content in a very casual, easy going and enjoyable pace which maximised the enjoyment and interaction of all the students present. Imaginative yet achievable dishes which were not only enjoyable to create but also to consume.

This is a course where you eat what you make and in a very convivial dining setting where students can interact and share time and experiences. This was a very enjoyable experience and I have no hesitation in recommending the school to anyone else.

Thanks Joe and all your staff.

Visited April 2013

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“I like to live and learn”
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Clean and bright kitchen, good range of dishes covered. found two breaks with tea/ coffee, scones and a five course lunch a bit tough going over five hours.
Negative was that the food your two man team prepared was "pooled" and therefore it was difficult to know how you could tweak your efforts in the future. A lot of bread wasted at the end. No one knew whose was whose so no point in bringing it home :((

Visited January 2013
4 Thank Angela T
Letterkenny, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“cookery school”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

attended one day cookery course. Really enjoyed the day and learnt how to cook Indian food and ate it for lunch afterwards.An excellent Christmas present

Visited November 2012
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 222 helpful votes
“Last Minute course cancellations are a poor show”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I booked a course at the Belle Isle cookery school for my wife's birthday present. The course was "Gluten Free cooking" as my wife has very recently been diagnosed with Coeliac disease. I have to admit that I was pretty pleased with myself as it was the most appropriate present I'd ever got - reflecting the right amount of thought (you know, all the things us men are bad at). It was booked about 6 weeks ago. This morning my wife got a phone call to say it was cancelled due to lack of interest i.e. giving less than 24 hours notice. I have had to reshuffle my week quite considerably in order to accomodate the course. I can understand that this can happen but surely more notice should be given. She was offered a place on another course but the gluten free aspect was the critical factor at play here. We've read good reports of this cookery school but this was a poor showing from them.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank John M
Belfast, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A great day - learnt lots & had fun with friends”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We recently attended a one day cookery course at Belle Isle as a group of 6 friends. We made a weekend of it and booked into one of the self-catering cottages. What a great weekend we had. The accommodation is of a high standard and the setting is just wonderful. Charles, as Belle Isle manager, does a great job of both keeping the place in great shape and welcoming guests.

The cookery school itself is small and perfectly formed. Great that the groups are not too big - you really do get the personal touch. Our teacher was professional, easy to follow and gave lots of little hints and tips as we went along. We all had a great day and would definitely go again. Our only criticism is that the day was a bit short for what we paid. You do pay for a ‘one day course’ but really only get from 10am to 2pm cooking instruction.

Visited June 2012