“Excellent weekend”

Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel & Lodges
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Enniskillen
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I organised a walking weekend for 62 people in Fermanagh and decided to spend two nights in the Killyhevlin. When we arrived the rooms were allocated in a few minutes, no waiting about which was a plus. I found the reservation and reception staff to be very helpful and friendly, nothing seemed to be a problem to them. The bedrooms were clean and tidy with all the necessary facilities for a comfortable stay. We ate in the silks restaurant and as we were a group we had a limited choice of starters and main courses. The food was decent and plentiful. I felt for the waiting staff as with a full restaurant they were sometimes very busy, a few more waiting staff would have been a good idea. The breakfasts were very good with a plentiful selection of cereals, fruit, porridge etc. and I particularly enjoyed the potato bread. We were provided with a room at night for entertainment which was laid out for us to our requirements and lovely and warm. One person I would like to mention is Sharon in reservations, she is most pleasant and helpful and an asset to the hotel. All in all I would recommend this hotel to anyone either a group or family or couple. I will be returning with my husband in the summer for a few days

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Manager180, Manager at Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel & Lodges, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear "Salsa58"
Thank you so much for your thoughtful review on your recent stay with your walking group. Its great to see that we met your expectations and helped your group have an excellent experience. I think the weather performed "fairly" well too! I'll pass on your comments to Sharon, thanks once again, kindest regards, Leigh Watson, HR Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,818)

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Hotel full so we opted for a Chalet. What a brilliant decision. Location was marvellous as the views from all front & side windows were marvellous. We made use if all the facilities of the Hotel. Chalet was well equipped & spotless would return to the Chalets as it gave us much more freedom than a hotel room. 2 nights not long enough & we were very fortunate with the weather. As usual Killyhevlin met all our needs

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear "May-Elizabeth"
Thank you very much for your recent review of your stay in one of our self-catering chalets. There's nowhere better to be in good weather! Glad you enjoyed it and we hope to see you continuing to return on many more occasions, kindest regards, Leigh Watson, HR Manager.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I found this hotel to be lovely. The meal we had in silks was exceptional! The overnight package was great value. Can't wait to get back. My husband and 1 loved the spa, a very therapeutic experience. The staff were very warm and friendly

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear "amolly"
Thank you very much for such a kind review of your overnight stay with us. We look forward to seeing you return on many more occasions. Kindest regards, Leigh Watson, HR Manager.

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We stopped for Sunday lunch and there was no pleasure in it from start to finish. Car parking was the first difficulty yet we'd felt driving in that it being so busy would be a good sign, but not so. We had to find a table before we joined a queue for lunch (and there was a notice advising that we do so) and once we got lunch we had to join a queue to pay, allowing our lunches to cool. The cutlery was handed over post payment at the pay desk. It reminded me a bit of having to queue for school dinners. We each had Turkey & ham and stuffing about £10 each and overpriced for what was on the plate: the mark - up must be £8 per plate. The two meats were so very thinly sliced and bulked up to seem impressive by cheap hardly seasoned stuffing, so the meat portion was intentionally miserable. The mean meat portion was in a shallow pool of packet made gravy. The young server couldn't understand the concept of a meat portion without gravy and I gave up and just took it with; in good places they would have gone to the kitchen and sorted it properly and professionally. The cold roast potatoes seemed deep fried, two small scoops of potato mash ( hardly one decent sized potato in amount) not buttered and again if seasoned the seasoning was hardly discernible. The girl serving the mashed potato and vegetables was ungenerous, dishing out mean portions of cabbage and carrot & parsnip. I had to ask for more veg and she remained ungenerous. The condiments of mustard etc were wedged in a corner at the end of the serving process. I saw the soup and roll portion at £4.50 and the desserts also £4.50. Again small over priced portions so no chance of my paying that. When you go to the pay counter after first finding a seat, then queuing for a mean - portioned lunch then queuing to pay you are confronted with a container for tips on the counter. At least they have a sense of humour. The biggest problem I think is that this place has no nearby competition. It won't have our business again as I really hate being ripped off and I certainly was but I imagine that will make no difference. As we drove into the town I spied a Mc Donald's and after 42 years dining out its one of the few times I wished I'd gone there as at least the Big Mac would have had comparable meat content and, who knows, the food may have been hot. Finally this place has the gall to charge £2.25 for tea, must be the champagne variety.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Newryone

Dear "Newryite"
Thank you for bringing you Sunday lunch experience to our attention. We are fortunate to have a very busy Sunday lunch business and very much value our guests and wish them to have an excellent experience when they spend their leisure time with us. With this in mind, our General Manager would like you to make contact with him by e-mail to discuss this matter as soon as is convenient for you. Kind regards, Leigh Watson, HR Manager.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I went to this hotel with my partner the night after Valentines (Saturday 15th 2014) to enjoy a lovely meal together as we had not celebrated the day before. On past occasions I have enjoyed the food and service but definitely not this time!! On entering the restaurant, the degrading behaviour commenced when we were asked if we were residents, to which we replied no (as we just went for an evening meal). It was almost as if you were entitled to better treatment if you were paying to stay the night.
The displeasing middle-aged waitress showed us to our table and gave us menus. We were not asked if we would like anything to drink.
After waiting 15 minutes, the same waitress eventually returned to take our order. I asked some questions regarding side orders and what veg came with the main course and I was shocked at her reply filled with attitude - "You know yourself the typical types of vegetables that come along with these types of meals" ... I am a young woman myself and as many people say; "It is the younger generation today that have no manners" - but this woman really needs a lesson or two in manners and basic customer service!!
We waited another 20 minutes before our food was served. I noticed that another couple seated at the table beside us had finished their meal as our order was taken and still their table was not cleared 20 minutes later.
The food was very disappointing. I love the meals I have eaten in the past from this hotel but this time I was very annoyed. I ordered a medium cooked steak but instead received a steak that was well-done and burnt on one side. I should have returned this steak to the kitchen but I was so hungry from the 35 minute wait that I didn't want to risk it.
When we were asked if we enjoyed our meal I informed the waitress about my overcooked steak, but the look she gave to me in return was as if I had slapped her across the face. She didn't even apologise.
The price we paid for this meal was DEFINETLY NOT WORTH IT.
It will be a long time coming before I return to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Clare M
Manager180, Manager at Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel & Lodges, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear "Clare M"
Thank you for brining your dining experience to our attention. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel as this is certainly not the standard of service we would wish our guests experience. Aidan, our manager has asked that you contact him directly at the hotel as he would like to discuss this matter with you. Again, please accept our apologies and we look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience, kindest regards, Leigh Watson, HR Manager.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Went here yesterday for Valentines day and finding a smile or a cordial welcome was like spotting a Yeti .I have been to Fermanagh many times and have always found the people to be friendly so I cannot understand why common friendliness is absent here. One young lady(sorry did not see the name badge) waitressing in the bar area with a bandage on her arm was very friendly and helpful and should train the others on how to treat customers. I would suggest that someone teaches the staff how to say Good morning in the breakfast area as everyone seemed to be wearing a frown. Please also tell people when they arrive some information on where they will get breakfast and where the other facilities are.The Hotel is however generally nice with great views however the room we had overlooked the roof so not so good. I write this as a constructive criticism as visitors come here from all over the world and a smile and a friendly word leaves a good impression on Northern Ireland as well as the Hotel. Please also tell people when they arrive some information on where they will get breakfast and where the other facilities are.

Room Tip: One not overlooking the flat roof would be good ask for one overlooking the lake
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carrickperson

Dear "carrickperson"
Thank you very much for giving us feedback on your recent experience over Valentine's Day. Please accept my apologies on behalf of our company as we pride ourselves in making everyone's visit as enjoyable as possible. Unfortunately on this occasion we did not met the standard you expected. Your remarks have been noted and action will be taken within the named areas. We do take all criticisms on board and use them to improve the experience we offer our guests. We do hope you will give us another chance, kindest regards, Leigh Watson, HR Manager.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Had a wonderful time in the Killyhevlin. Rooms were great, facilities excellent, dining in both bar and restaurant and food in both was delicious. Had a facial in and Kiara was lovely and unlike most did not talk all the way through it - total professional. The pool and health club area was great - my only criticism would be that after installing the hot tub with a fantastic view of the lake - they made it small. Invest in a bigger hot-tub guys as it was truly lovely to sit outside on a cold winters day (3 degrees) and enjoy the scenery.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear "LizBelfast2013"
Thank you very much for your very kind review and feedback on your recent stay with us at Killyhevlin. I'll make sure Ciara gets a mention in our employee of the month programme - glad you enjoyed your spa treatment so much. We look forward to seeing you return on many more occasions, kindest regards, Leigh Watson, HR Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskillen
Lough Erne Resort
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
Mahon's Hotel
Mahon's Hotel
#1 of 1 in Irvinestown

Been to Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel & Lodges? Share your experiences!