“Poor quality lunch”
Review of Lough Erne Resort

Lough Erne Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Enniskillen
Reviewed 10 May 2013

My wife and I (both senior citizens) visit this hotel fairly regularly mostly for lunch in bar area when visiting Enniskillen. On Wednesday 8th May, 2013 we were very disappointed. We ordered Irish Spring Lamb stew from the menu and what we got was far from Irish Spring Lamb. For the most part the meat was inedible grizzle and very off putting. We complained to the waitress who said she had mentioned it to the Chef but that was the only response we received.
This hotel and resort is rated 5 star but without doubt our meal did not merit any rating. On earlier visits the food for lunch was reasonable but never 5 star quality. We keep going back because the hotel and location is otherwise very nice with friendly staff, excellent furnishings and great surroundings making it a relaxing and wonderful place to visit. Management at this hotel need to look at the quality of food being served and make improvements or else, I fear, the reputation of this otherwise excellent property will be damaged.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Westwing67
john0neill, Manager at Lough Erne Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Dear Westwing 57,

I am very disappointed to learn of your recent lunch experience .The Irish Spring Lamb dish is a popular selection from our menu in the Blaney Bar which is generally well received by our customers.
Obviously it was not to your liking on this occasion and I apologize for this and have passed your comments on to Noel and his team.

You have mentioned in your review that you visit Lough Erne from time to time and maybe on your next visit ,you would ask for me or a member of the management team and we will enhance your experience for you.

Apologies once again

Reviewed 9 May 2013

A real treat! I spent two nights at the Lough Erne last week and can easily say it was the best experience I have ever had. The food was fantastic, the rooms were beautiful and the views breathtaking. We spent all of our second day in the Thai spa. I can only say that these girls have golden hands, a most relaxing and spiritual experience. Special mentions have to go to porters Neil and Patsy for treating us like VIPs, Rafael our waiter in the Catalina restaurant for his excellent and attentive service, Ciara who waited on us for breakfast both mornings you are a star. In the bar James and the other wee guy with the dark hair (sorry didn't get your name before I left) ye make killer cocktails! I shall return for afternoon tea. I only have two little niggles about our stay here. One is Chris Doherty who was seating us us for breakfast on the second morning, he was the only abrupt and unfriendly person we encountered and two is that i couldn't buy sets of the toiletries available in the room. Other than that I would live here if I could!! my final mention goes to my therapist in the spa whose name escapes me -Thank You - I will come back and introduce my daughters to the benefits of Thai massage.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Lake view room. The sun floods in in the morning and you get to just sit and look out...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Mamii,
Thank you for taking time to post such great comments about your recent stay at Lough Erne Resort. I am delighted you had such a positive experience with us,I will certainly share you kind comments regarding the staff with the entire team.
Our Thai Spa therapists certainly add that special touch to your treatment and delighted that your enjoyed our cocktail selection.

Look forward to you and your daughters' visit to the Resort as stated.

kind regards

Reviewed 7 May 2013

This was our second stay at the Lough Erne Resort and we were not disappointed. It's a fabulous hotel in a beautiful setting and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has never been before. We again stayed in a 2 bedroom lodge which was first class in every way. The breakfast was superb, and this is one of the few hotels I've visited in recent years where a cooked to order breakfast is available if you desire. Having said that, the service wasn't what you'd expect of a 5 star hotel as we twice had to seek out staff at breakfast to take our order and then to bring us tea. However, the food was lovely. The biggest downside is the pool area. For a 5 star hotel this could have been much, much better - particularly as there is ZERO seating around the pool. On our previous trip this was our main complaint, but as the pool area had recently been completely rebuilt and refurbished (following a fire) we were sure that this glaring oversight would have been addressed. Sadly, it hasn't been and there still wasn't a single seat or lounger in the pool area. Fix this (and the service) and this hotel would be right up there.

Room Tip: Go for a Lodge if you're in a party of four or more. They're well worth that little bit extr...

Dear Mourneman007,

Thank you for your recommendation and comments regarding our Lodges which are a very popular choice particularly for groups of 4- 6.
Apologies if service at breakfast time was slow and not five star as you stated as good service is what we strive to achieve at all times.
Your comments regarding seating aroung the pool are duly noted and valid, although we do have two relaxation areas adjacent to the pool area.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

Just back from our second stay here with friends. 2 nights last year, 3 this year, hopefully 4 next year. Our room on the first floor was large and well appointed with a lovely bathroom and huge bath (beware if you stay at doonbeg - they don't have any). Ate twice in Catelina restaurant and food superb. We all had the wine suggestions by the glass with each course. All impeccably matched and a great way to try something different. The red dessert wine, avaiiable by the half bottle, was unusual and also very good.Breakfasts also excellent with a wide choice including a wonderful kedgeree. Service was attentive but not overwhelming. Very well done. Ate one night in bar where food of same quality but very reasonably priced.
Husbands had 2 rounds of golf and were delighted with course and facilities like last year. Wives had a full day in the spa. This may seem a bit pricey at £210.00 each (midweek price) but if you were to have all the treatments individually it would be much more. We spent 8 hours in there, starting with a swim and enjoying the inclusive lunch and drinks and fruit in the relaxation room. The therapists are lovely and this is probably the most relaxing day ever. A real treat.
Also visited the caves at Eniskillen. A great tour and would highly recommend.
Only problem was the bar service. We all ordered cocktails on the first evening. None of them were very good. My husband's glass was so full of ice that he couldn't taste the drink. I was served the wrong cocktail also swimming in ice. I asked them to take the ice out which they did but it had cinnamon in it and they added more so that I ended up with a cinnamon flavoured gunge in the bottom of the glass. When I asked about the cinnamon ( I couldn't really taste the drink because it was so strong) I realised I'd been served the wrong drink. Two of the staff stood behind me and discussed it for a while but although we asked several times they did nothing to rectify the problem, seeming a bit confused and the drink appeared on the bill. Night 2 we thought we'd give the cocktails another go. I did get the drink I ordered but we waited 25 mins, being told several times on asking that they would be served in a couple of minutes. Night 3 we ordered glasses of Prosecco at the table. When they hadn't arrived after 20 mins we cancelled them. Story this time was that someone had to go and get the Prosecco!!
Without the bar fiasco this would have been a straight 5 star review. It won't stop us returning but you guys in the bar seriously need to get your act together. The cocktail menu is huge. Maybe cut it and have more than one staff member who can make them. And if there is a problem address it!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear scottishtraveller44,

Let me start by saying how disappointed I was to read of your poor service and quality of cocktails during your recent stay when the rest of your experience was so positive.We normally receive good reviews for our cocktails so sincere apologies on this occasion.
Our Spa and/or Golf combination is a very popular package for couples visiting the Resort , our Thai therapists enhance the whole experience and the Faldo course offers a great golfing challenge to all players.I am delighted your party enjoyed both.

Thank you for your comments particularly in relation to our cocktails which we will address.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

I have just returned from two nights in this wonderful resort! I hope Mr. Obama and his friends enjoy it half as much as we did. From the moment we arrived to the time we left we were made to feel right at home. The staff were so friendly , especially Nial, who was such a font of knowledge about the area and he was so very pleasant. Our dinner in the Catalina restaurant was one of the best meals I have ever eaten and the food in the bar was very good also. Our rooms was lovely and spacious if a little too warm and the Thermal suit was very relaxing!I I don't think I have ever been in a place that got it all right, lovely staff ,good food, nice room and wonderful views . We will be back!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear Brenda M,

Its very gratifying to receive such wonderful praise for the Resort and I have passed your comments on to Neil our concierge who is a fountain of knowledge and great team member to have at Lough Erne.
We look forward to your next stay with us and thank you again for taking time to share you views on your recent visit.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here for an overnight break, and could not fault this hotel in any way. From check in to check out, we were greeted and introduced to many staff who all had a smile on their face and really seemed to enjoy working here. We booked an evening meal in the Catalina restaurant and I can honestly say that I have not tasted food like it before (special thanks to Noel for the superb menu and our waitress Kerry who was very attentive throughout the whole experience). After dinner we decided on a few drinks in the bar, the service here was also very good, and we would recommend asking one of the boys to make you up a special cocktail, well worth the money.
We will definitely be returning to the resort in the future and the world leaders have a very special treat waiting for them in June.

Room Tip: views from the lough side rooms are superb

Dear j m

Thank you for your very kind comments regarding the staff and which I have passed on to our team at Lough Erne and to Noel and Kerry in particular.
The cocktails in the Blaney Bar are excellent !!!!

kind regards

Reviewed 29 April 2013

We spent a very pleasant spring evening in the resort, enjoyed a Singapore Sling in the bar and enjoyed a wonderful meal in the restaurant. Pity the bath was going to take several days to fill! Breakfast was fine and overall a worthwhile visit.

Dear Arthurgree51

The Singapore Sling is one of our more popular cocktails in the Blaney Bar and glad you enjoyed your meal as well.Apologies if it took time to fill your bath, normally water pressure is excellent in the Resort.
Finally our flower beds and grounds have recently been landscaped so we will be in full bloom
for the summer months !
Thanks for your comments.
John

Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskillen
Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel & Lodges
#1 of 1 in Irvinestown
Corick House
Corick House
#1 of 1 in Clogher

Been to Lough Erne Resort? Share your experiences!