“A great place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Egham
Stavanger, Norway
“A great place to stay”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed here one night on the 14th of Feb. It is a place that really gives you the feeling of history. I liked everything with this place and I have stayed in many english country hotels. Atmosphere is great, staff is smiling and welcoming and we had a wonderful sleep here. The only thing I missed was a 15th century ghost. :)) It was worth every penny!

Room Tip: I think they are all good.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments - I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your Valentines break with us and just sorry that we couldn't arrange any ghosts!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Wadhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We had a lovely night at Great Fosters, despite the weather - we were there last week during the bad flooding in the area. The hotel is even more beautiful than in the photos - a great mix of the very old, with some very tasteful more recent additions such as the new(ish) traditionally built oak framed dining room and the slightly older orangery. If you get a chance to look inside the old tithe barn, do - it is amazing! We were greeted with great politeness and the staff seem very proud of working there. Our room (Wellington) was very spacious for the price as well as comfortable and well furnished. The food (both dinner and breakfast) was delicious, well presented and again, the staff in the restaurant were very attentive. We took a turn round the gardens in the pouring rain, but it was worth it, as they are beautifully set out and landscaped. Looking at the history book, they have done a lot of work outside in the last 10 years or so. I know the M25 is not far away, but the noise is not intrusive, unless you expected to be in the middle of nowhere. Our one criticism is that the room was too warm - I would suggest some thermostatic radiator valves would not go amiss! Overall, a lovely night away.

1 Thank Gus6623
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and had an opportunity, despite the dreadful weather, to walk around the grounds.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel for three nights in January as part of a business event. Check-in was smooth, professional and efficient. My room was in the Coach House, which was nicely decorated, rather on the small side, but sufficient for the purpose of my stay. Think it was called the Brough room. Modern, clean and very tasteful. Would have loved to stay in one of those historic rooms like some of my colleagues did, but hey ho, there are only so many rooms after all.

Great little details that make the difference, such as umbrellas at the door (it was hanmering it down).

Really really pleased to see that the toiletry articles in the bathroom were from Molton Brown, who do not test on animals (see 'leaping bunny' logo on the bottles), a big bonus for me. So big kudos for that.

We met up with colleagues in the lounge area in front of the mahoosive fireplace, with wine and drinks. Absolutely lovely, although I'd guess, if you suffer from asthma, this is not the best place for you to be because of the smoke. Truly wonderful building with great historic features and great attention to detail.

Breakfast was fine, lovely cooked breakfast and a great room to be in, again with a lovely roaring fireplace. Service was at times a little slow, but their friendliness more than made up for it.

Business facilities were great, lunch on each day was fabulous and you have plenty of privacy, looking out over the beautiful gardens.

On the first and last evening of our stay we enjoyed dinner here, which was fabulous. The service was great and food amazing. Really enjoyed myself.

One tiny negative thing to mention was the signposting if you're staying for business purposes. The first time you're looking for the business room you really had to know where you were going, as the door behind which the conference room can be found bears no signage, so you wouldn't think to go there. Same for the dining room upstairs. I'd appreciate that signage would interfere with the historic character of the place, but perhaps a little printed map might help.

Furthermore, the room next to me (further down the hall) must have some floorboards loose as my neighbour (must have been someone with jetlag) was pacing the room throughout the night and kept stepping on the squeaky floorboards. Didn't make for a quiet night and after two nights in a row it quickly gets stale.

It's just one of those things though and didn't affect the quality of my stay.

Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit and I will be looking at ways to improve our signage (we try to have staff on hand to direct guests to meeting and private dining rooms) but we obviously didn't quite manage to have the right staff in the right place during your stay.

I do hope that there will be an opportunity to welcome you back to Great Fosters.
uk
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Read the booklet in your room page for page, so you are aware of charges from drinking water in the fridge to an astonishing £15 per person for a buffet breakfast.

I was very disappointed to find there were no tea or coffee facilities in our room and further more if I was to order a tea to the room would be at an additional cost.(since my complain it apparently appears in the guest directory (unfortunately I din't think to search pages of information for a simple cup of tea!) that should you require a hospitality tray to call reception and one will be brought to your room free of charge.) This is not something I expect from a 4* hotel!

There was no mention by any of the staff that there would be a charge. So when you arrive make sure you read throughly through a piece of paper you are asked to sign.

We sat down for breakfast and found and chargeable menu for a cook breakfast. When the waiter arrived we stated we would like to have the ‘continental’ (buffet!) option. I was shocked at ten minutes after being seated I was presented with a bill for £30 (they could have waited until we had actually eaten!) .

We only had a muffin each and a cup of tea. Had to wait over 10 minutes for tea and the waiter looked almost annoyed when I had to make another request. Nothing of which could possibly justify this cost. I felt absolutely robbed and could not wait to leave!

We did not use the Bose sound devise in our room, but could not definitely hear others making very good use of it through the walls at 23:00.

The bathroom was pretty plain and basic with mosaic tiles in the bathroom, and some were coming loose behind the taps.

I would not recommend this over priced hotel to any of my friends or family.

2 Thank Laura B
GreatFosters1931, Managing Director, Richard Young at Great Fosters, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
This is a very unfair, unjustified and inaccurate review, which I believe is driven by wanting a refund for the breakfast which was not included in your room rate and that you consumed and were subsequently charged for!

As I said in my e-mail to you yesterday the confirmation e-mail you received from Late Rooms (the website on which you made your reservation) clearly states that your reservation was ‘room only’. Having looked on Laterooms’ website I can see that whilst some hotels do include breakfast there are plenty that do not and like us offer rooms on a ‘room only’ basis.

Our continental breakfast includes, tea, coffee, juices and a large array of cold items on the buffet table and most of our guests agree that it represents good value. The price is indicated clearly at the bottom of our breakfast menus so I’m really not sure that we can be blamed for charging you!
Reviewed 10 February 2014

On attending an event at great fosters to which we have been several times before an enjoyed it so much,that always recommend to friends.. but on this occasion the event was lovely but the food was absolutely awful, cold tasteless and not cooked properly, 5 of the people on our table agreed and complained too,when asked to speak to member of staff which took forever to come to the table when complained was then told that they didn't have another option on offer. Which to me is unacceptable so I spoke to another member of staff who got the manager and all she had to say to me is that they could offer me another starter but would take 20mins so I may aswell wait for my main!! This is unacceptable customer service.. And I will not be recommending great fosters anymore....

• Stayed February 2014
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding the charity event that you attended on Friday evening.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your starter and that another was not immediately available. At events such as these one menu is chosen for the whole party and we cater for the numbers that we are given in advance. Our chef would happily have made an alternative starter and although our banqueting manager is correct in that this would have taken some time to prepare.

The fish starter is designed to be served tiède which may be why you thought the dish was cold. In hindsight I can see that the mullet is not everyone's cup of tea and perhaps a different starter should have been chosen for the evening.

On the plus side the feedback we have received from other guests at the ball indicates that the main course and dessert were extremely well received and that on a whole the evening was a resounding success.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We stayed at Great Fosters for one night in February 2014 to attend a wedding in the Tythe Barn. We had a room in the modern part of the hotel (Cloisters)
The hotel itself is a magnificient stately-home style building surrounded by beautifully manicured traditional gardens.
During our stay (as I was one of the bridesmaids and spent much of the time in other peoples rooms sorting things out!) I was lucky enought to see lots of the accommodations at the hotel. Without doubt the rooms in the main part of the building are most charismatic - literally like staying in a tudor stately home - four poster beds, tapestries, roaring wood fires etc. Very romatic indeed. The highlight of the rooms I saw was the amazing Queen Anne Suite which my friend the bride had as her honeymoon suite. A network of several beautiful rooms which were perfectly restored to provide quality yet very traditional accommodations.
Our room in the cloisters suited us perfectly, as we were travelling with our 2 year old who flaked out early. We needed peace and quiet, as well as warmth and cosyness. It was more modern than the old house(the cloisters look like a stable block amidst the herb garden) - with underfloor heating and lots of modern amenities. There were lots of wonderful touches in the room - like Molten Brown toiletries and real quality tea and coffee. The bed was worth mentioning again - it was DELIGHTFUL! I wanted to take it home with me. My husband has a bad back, and it cured him overnight! (until we returned home to our own bed!)
The wedding was held in the Painted hall and the Tythe Barn - both of which were stunning parts of the building even before they were decorated.
The food throughout our stay was superb - we had lunch, dinner and breakfast as well as snacks, and we always felt the food was exquisitely detailed and beautifully cooked.
As I mentioned earlier, we were travelling with a 2 year old, and, although the hotel really had an air of luxury about it, the staff were really helpful and friendly to our little boy - we had ordered a travel cot which was in the room when we arrived, and also they catered perfectly for him at mealtimes. He was well behaved (controlled!) but I was impressed how well they looked after us, and welcomed us as a family unit.
Overall, I would definately return to Great Fosters, and I would also recommend it for a beautiful and well organised wedding. Well done Great Fosters!

Room Tip: We loved the Cloisters - cosy and modern. Out of the way (outside walkway to access) However, the r...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read all your comments and pleased that you so obviously enjoyed staying with us for your friend's wedding.

Please do come back and stay with us again soon!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I had my 40th Birthday party at Great Fosters and from the minute we arrived to the minute we left everything was amazing. We hired a room for friends and family to gather and enjoyed a sumptuous buffet lunch.

The venue itself blew everyone away with many saying how impressed they were when they pulled up to the hotel. The staff were very attentive and a special thanks to Jose who looked after us and kept checking everything was ok. We were also allowed to decorate the room suitably for the occasion which made it extra special.

I also got engaged the same weekend which prompted many of our guests to suggest Great Fosters as the perfect venue for the wedding - well we would definitely return so watch this space!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Firstly thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent birthday party and secondly congratulations on your engagement!

I was delighted to read that you and your guests so enjoyed your 40th birthday celebration and will pass on your kind words to Jose.

When you start to make plans for your wedding I do hope you will contact us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
The Runnymede on Thames
De Vere Wotton House
De Vere Wotton House
#1 of 8 in Dorking
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection

Been to Great Fosters? Share your experiences!