“Great in name provides a great stay”
Review of Great Fosters

Great Fosters
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Egham
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My wife and I returned to Great Fosters after 35 years and we were not disappointed.

An old Tudor mansion that provides really excellent and comfortable accommodation.

Being in easy reach of Windsor and Runnymede it is a great place to use as a base to visit the local area.

The staff are really helpful and the food is of a good quality, I would recommend staying here without hesitation.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for recommending Great Fosters.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We were looking for a perfect one night getaway and this was perfect - it is only a 30 minute drive from London but feels worlds away. We went mid-week and it felt like we had the entire place to ourselves. The tea was lovely and dinner was fantastic - the nicest French waitress who really went out of her way to make sure we had everything we needed. The hotel is charming and kept so well that it's a great place to walk around and the grounds are stunning. The only downsides were that the bed was very hard (not my preference) and at the breakfast the waiter was clearly in a rush and not very pleased to see us close to closing time. And whilst the afternoon tea and dinner had been absolute perfection, the breakfast was quite unimpressive (very salty, stale bread). Overall we loved it and look forward to going back and recommending it to our friends and family!

Room Tip: We stayed in a historical room which was really special - if you're looking for more modern faci...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your afternoon tea, dinner and overnight stay. I will ensure that our Chef reads your feedback about breakfast and in particular the salt used.

Thank you for recommending us to your family and friends - we look forward to welcoming them!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Just stayed at this hotel for a business meeting.
Looks impressive when you drive up the staff are excellent very attentive and polite. Shown to my room ( Panel 1) in the main building. Its a little dark and certainly quirky ( see Photos) inner and breakfast again service was terrific and the food was good. Breakfast was a little leisurely but the full english served piping hot none of this self service.
Not exactly cheap but worth the expense

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us for a meeting. I was pleased to read that my team looked after you so well and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in our part of the country.

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Delighted to be able to return to Great Fosters and to be staying in the House. Despite being on an exceptionally good rate we were upgraded to a room with real character and a lovely balcony. Once again the welcome was warm and personal. The staff are clearly proud of the hotel and everyone we meet shows a personal interest in their guests' welfare. The subtle marketing obviously works - we're hooked. Will be back soon.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting a review on your second stay with us.

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed coming back - don't leave it too long before you return! We shall be looking out for you.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I treated my husband for his birthday by taking him to this hotel over the weekend. Pulling up to the hotel is the most amazing feeling, you are greeted by such an extravagent looking building. It's simply beautiful.

There was a slight mix up when we first arrived as for some reason reception had it down on their system that I had booked one of the more modern out houses. I had in fact booked to stay in the main hotel which is, how we describe it, 'oldy woldy'. The reception first stated they had no more rooms and said they would make it up to us, first providing us with some champagne. They did eventually find us a room - slightly small but perfect.

Dinner in the Estate Grill was delicious. Perfect food, and a lovely Happy Birthday plate for my husband.

Breakfast is also delicious. We both had the smoked salmon and scrambled egg which filled us up - my only comment would be that the continental spread could be a bit more vast. But - no complaints - the chocolate muffin i had was delicious!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and since returning and having seen my photos, my parents are very keen to visit!

Thank you to the staff for making our weekend so memorable!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review on your recent stay with us to celebrate your husband's birthday.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your weekend and glad that we managed to rectify the mix up with your room. We look forward to welcoming your parents and hope that they will enjoy their sty as much as you did! Thank you for spreading the word!

Reviewed 11 April 2014

This grand old 16th century country house and hunting lodge served as a retreat for Henry VIII. It has been in the same family for the last 100 years and meticulously maintained true to the period. I stayed in the Panel II room and it was fantastic. Spacious and beautifully appointed in period antiques I felt I had gone back in time to the Tudor period in England. I could go on and on but time does not permit. have a look on line for more interesting information about this fabulous hotel.

Room Tip: The Panel II room is my choice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed our Tudor building and in particular our Panel II historic bedroom.

Please do come back and stay with us again when you are next in the UK.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

A really great hotel set in a former royal hunting lodge. Gardens are immaculately maintained and create a great first impression. Staff are very polite and helpful. The main building has loads of character. I stayed in one of the annexes. The room was quite small but had everything you could need and more. In fact the facilities in the room made it feel even more cramped. The cooked breakfast is superb.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us earlier this month. I was delighted to read that you were so well looked after and that in particular you enjoyed your cooked breakfast.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
The Runnymede on Thames
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa

Been to Great Fosters? Share your experiences!