“Treated like Royalty!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Egham
Farnham, United Kingdom
“Treated like Royalty!”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Big enough to impress - small enough to be friendly!
From the moment we drove towards the magnificent entrance we were impressed and first impressions were to last for our entire stay. I was our wedding anniversary and we were given a room upgrade and a glass of champagne each.
The room (Moat 2) had a wonderful view of the wonderfully restored gardens - hence the number of weddings. The 8 course tasting menu in the Tudor Room was excellent and each course was explained in detail by a very knowledgeable young waitress - well done!
The only downside was that the wine list in the Tudor Room is pretty pricey - think the starting price for white wine was £36 a bottle!
If you stay in the old house be prepared for noisy floor boards and plumbing - unfortunately, the people directly above our room got up at 04.30 presumably to catch an early plane at nearby Heathrow and ran a bath in to the bargain!
But that didn't spoil our stay and we both commented to the General Manager as we left that we thought the staff at this hotel were the best we have come across - anywhere!

Room Tip: Moat 2 has a great view of the garden
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for posting a review on your recent stay with us to celebrate your anniversary. Whilst I am sorry that you had some rather noisy neighbours in the room above I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular dinner in The Tudor Room and I will certainly be sharing your comments with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Beautiful experience....inside out....
If you like unusual,old- in a historical way, beautiful surroundings hotel with a great service..- this is your place...
After check in,we have been greeted by a baggage porter,who literally took us on historical tour about the hotel....with a such passion..! I really like that - it's rare...

I also really enjoyed special smoky smell of burning logs from the fire place....very unusual , and special...!
Dinner was awesome,relaxing, menu- exquisite....
Breakfast amazing too...
Loved the hotel,service...will come back soon!
Thank you so much...i did feel special in this magic hotel!
And please,don't change anything at the hotel.....16 century building is really breathtaking...

Room Tip: Hundreds years ago people were shorter....so,do expect smaller beds....
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank yelena22
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read your comments and as you don't live too far away I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon. Most of our bedrooms have 5ft wide beds and many have 6ft wide beds so if you would prefer one of these please do say when you make your next reservation.
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I booked a contemporary style room at the Great Forsters Hotel, for the night before my 1st wedding anniversary.

We arrived at the hotel at about 15:00 and the hotel was as beautiful as the pictures show and the greeting at reception was lovely. We checked in to our room, which was the “Moat 1” room. The room was clean and tidy, it was very quite noisy outside at this time as the room was above the outside dining area, but that didn’t put us of, as the afternoon tea session seemed to be very busy at this time. After getting settled in the room we got changed and went for a walk around the grounds which are very beautiful, the gardens and the streams were all very delightful in the sun.

We had a reservation to eat at the Tudor restaurant at 19:30, however when we arrived we were told the booking was actually for 19:00, this new time was fine and didn’t alter our plans at all. As the e-mail reservation confirmation suggested, we arrived half an hour early to have aperitifs in the Anne Boleyn room. Unfortunately after turning up at the room and stating our reservation, we were very quickly escorted away to the bar at the “Estate Grill” for drinks and canopies. The bar was fine, it was just disappointing to be moved elsewhere after the reservation e-mail suggested arriving early to enjoy the historical features of the room, and the sales literature in the hotel room also went into length about the architectural significance of the ceiling design. At this point, I assumed there must be an event going on that we had not been made aware of.

The dinner was exquisite, I have eaten in two Michelin star restaurants in my life and I can say the 8 course-tasting menu here was as delicious and probably more interesting. The service was also professional and excellent, at no points was the staff intrusive and we never felt rushed.

We went to sleep about 23:00 and the night was where our stay became terrible. My previous suspicions about an event were confirmed as the drunken party outside the window to our room went on well into the early hours of the morning. My wife and I were not able to sleep. I know it’s a listed building and you can’t replace all the crittal windows with double glazing, but if you can stick modern washroom and toilet facilities into the room, then there’s nothing to stop you installing an interior casement into the room, without altering the external look or any structural elements of the building, this is common in historical buildings put to a contemporary use. Or on the other hand, the parties or smoking areas could be moved further away from the guest rooms.

We got up in the morning and made our way to breakfast at about 9am, we were ushered inside a room into a room given a pot of tea, some toast and left to it. I had to ask three times to get some butter. I felt bad as the waiter eventually took it from a table at the other end of the room and shortly after a couple were sat there only to be faced with the same problem.

We requested milk for our tea several times and it never materialized, there were customers around us who were also asking for milk, or cutlery, or where their food was. I saw some of the more enterprising customers who had been there a long time, get up from their tables and rifle through the nearby drawers for cutlery, with varying degrees of success.

None of the staff seemed to have much idea what was going on regarding the breakfast, my wife tried to clarify several times what was included in the bread and breakfast and nobody seemed to know. There were prices on the a la carte menu so I assumed that this was not included in the price of our room, after following a few other guests I saw there was a small buffet at the back of another room with some fruit, muffins and croissants. There was a cue for the fruit, so I had to wait around for the small plate of fruit to be refilled.

After an hour, a more senior member of staff came over to answer our question about breakfast, she said “yes” to everything we said regardless of the question, my wife ordered scrambled eggs and toast, unfortunately the toast never arrived and by this time it was getting close to 11am so we had to leave. At no point was the breakfast area more than half full; I can’t imagine what it would have been like full.

Following breakfast and another quick walk around the grounds we checked out. I was asked by the receptionist how everything was to which I honestly replied “not brilliant”, expected to be asked ‘why’. Instead I was hurriedly asked for my payment and sent on my way. I wanted to ask to speak to someone senior and relay my feelings about the stay, but I felt it would have made a bad start to our wedding anniversary worse.

On leaving we had a chance to look in the Anne Boleyn room and it was, as the literature suggested, lovely.

I spent £250 on our bed and breakfast, and nearly £200 on food based on my experience there I would not suggest booking here unless you find a 50% deal somewhere. I would also not recommend breakfast, or any rooms near “The Moat”.

Best of luck,

Chris White

Room Tip: Do not pick a room above "The Moat".
4 Thank Chris W
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for your review.

Whilst I was pleased to read that you enjoyed dinner in The Tudor Room I was very disappointed to read that several other aspects of your stay were not up to our usual standard. I will be contacting you by e-mail later today to offer you my personal apologies and to try to restore your confidence in Great Fosters.
Reviewed 29 May 2014

A beautiful former Tudor hunting lodge only a 30 minute drive from Heathrow Airport, but it feels worlds away. The main house reeks of history but has been sensitively modernised where needed. Our room for two nights was in the Cloisters slightly away from the main house overlooking a pretty garden. Nice touches in the room were fresh milk for our tea/coffee and some quality shortbread! I found the breakfast buffet a little limited, although there was a good selection of cooked dishes to order (which were delicious). It's worth booking a table for dinner at the Tudor Room during your stay, and make time to enjoy a cocktail or two beforehand and a nightcap in the Anne Boleyn Room or a wander through the gardens afterwards. The staff were all very friendly and attentive, and helped to make our stay extremely enjoyable. We will be sure to return when next in the area.

1 Thank Scazza7
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay in one of our rooms in The Cloisters and we look forward to welcoming you back to Great Fosters when you next visit the UK.
Woking
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My Wife and I stayed overnight at Great Fosters as part of our anniversary weekend. The staff made us feel very special and the service was impeccable. The rooms are very clean and well appointed, food of a very high standard and the gardens are a delight.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the trouble to post a review on your recent stay to celebrate your anniversary. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that my team looked after you so well. Please come back and see us again next year (if not before!).
Tadworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Although only a guest at a wedding held at Great Fosters we were very impressed with the way everything was organised.
The service at the meal held in the old barn was impeccable, the food was delicious and beautifully presented.
Lucky enough to have a sunny day, we were able to enjoy the fabulous gardens. With fountains, wooden bridges over water it was a wedding photographers dream setting.
I have since spoken to people who stopped the night and they were all impressed with the rooms, and the breakfast the next morning.
I would definitely recommend this venue to anyone thinking of getting married, or just visiting for afternoon tea.

1 Thank Jacey47
Thank you for your lovely comments, which I will be sharing with our conference & banqueting team. I'm so pleased you enjoyed being a guest at a recent wedding and were able to enjoy the gardens too.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at the hotel after attending a wedding here. The grounds are amazing as is the décor of the hotel. All rooms are very modern despite the buildings obviously being very old. The food was lovely both at the wedding and other meals that I had at the hotel. Would definitely come back again soon.

1 Thank DMyers148
Thank you for sparing the time to write a review on your recent visit to the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
The Runnymede on Thames
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
Savill Court Hotel & Spa
Brooklands Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection

Been to Great Fosters? Share your experiences!