“Afternoon tea”

The Runnymede on Thames
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Egham
Reviewed 28 January 2014

The runnymede hotel is one of the gems of the area. Although it has a 70's look on the outside the inside is tastefull and comfortable. Seating for afternoon tea is reserved by the large glass windows overlooking the Thames. The service is impeccable. The tea consisted of a glass of champagne delicious finger sandwichs amd plenty of them, wonderful little cakes and pastries with scones,jam and clotted cream to finish. The tea or coffee was never ending. A wonderful experience.

• Stayed: January 2014
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Thank you for your lovely review of afternoon tea in the lounge at the runnymede. I am so pleased that despite the façade of the hotel you found the inside décor tasteful and comfortable with views through the large windows across the river.
I have passed on your feedback to the pastry team for their wonderful little cakes and I am sure the lounge team will be pleased that you found the service impeccable.
Hopefully we will see you soon, maybe in the summer when the terraces are open.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,846)

Reviewed 26 January 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a magnificent weekend stay at the Runnymede. Firstly, it is really easy to get to, immediately off the motorway network. First impression as you turn in may be a little disappointing, it is a very modern looking building and very large so was slightly concerned it would lack character. Once inside though, everything was perfect, or very close to. The welcome was warm and friendly, they parked the car and took care of our luggage. We were early so our room wasn't ready but everything was taken care of, we enjoyed lunch in the lovely lounge with a window seat overlooking the Thames, then took a walk along the river. They offered to text us as soon as the room was ready. The room itself was large and functional, again with a great view of the river. The bed was warm and comfy.
Food is clearly something this hotel excels at, the Right Bank restaurant is clearly the place to eat. The word buffet really doesn't do it justice, it is the most amazing selection of almost every conceivable food imaginable. We also discovered if you happen to fancy something not on show you only have to mention it and it will be found. The chef used to work at Buckingham Palace and I bet the Queen misses him!
Breakfast is also a superb choice, three different types of sausage, the same of bacon and eggs cooked to order.
Again, if you fancy something different, just ask.
The leisure complex was large and very well equipped, most enjoyable on the Friday when it was quieter.
The only slight negative is that it is quite a large hotel and only appeared to have one small lift, which meant a bit of a wait sometimes, also a fairly long walk from the lift to the room.
As we have found in the past, finding a hotel with a great building and facilities is relatively easy, what is harder is finding one with an excellent, well trained, friendly and polite staff. I can honestly say everyone we met here fitted that criteria in abundance. They should give themselves a very well deserved pat on the back.
I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a river view, don't go if you're scared of ducks!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shemat
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Thank you so much for your lovely review of your ‘magnificent stay’ at the runnymede-on-thames. I am pleased that once inside you found the hotel and team warm and friendly and that you enjoyed lunch in the lounge overlooking the river Thames.
I am also glad that you enjoyed the vast array of dishes available in the Leftbank buffet restaurant and the chef even conjured up a dish that wasn’t on the menu. Our team are always willing to help if they can with specific requests. I have passed on your kind comments about the food at dinner and the breakfast to the kitchen brigade who will be so pleased to see how much you enjoyed their dishes.
I am glad that you also enjoyed the spa. We have two guest lifts in the hotel depending on which wing you are staying in but I am sorry if there was a wait on some occasions for the one at the side of the building in which your room was located.
I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to everyone and thank you for your praise as it is feedback like this that encourages the team to go that step further for our guests.
We very much look forward to your return.

Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

So, the hotel is ok. But for the price charged, I expect more.

Rooms, with breakfast at the Clarence in Portsmouth for example, were cheaper and better quality.

There are some great things about this hotel, don't get me wrong.

The gym is really well equipped with both cardio and weights sections.

The spa and overall location are also excellent.

The dinner options deserve a mention. I ate in both restaurants, both had a good choice of dishes, and I enjoyed what I ordered. The service in both was also fantastic.

However, paying £18 for breakfast, is unreasonable. I don't think the quality of food at breakfast justifies the price. It is, after all, a buffet service.

There are a few things within the hotel which you would not expect for somewhere which boasts four stars.

The kettle and cups in the room were stained and dirty. I had to clean them before I used them. There were a few stains on the tables in the room, and dust hanging from the coving. The shower also didn't look the cleanest.

Overall, I probably would not stay here again. Perhaps my expectations are too high? But I was a little disappointed at having chosen this hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of the runnymede and I am pleased that you found the gym well equipped and the Spa itself and the hotel’s location excellent.
I am also glad that you found the food in the restaurants good and the service excellent; however I am sorry that you felt the buffet price of £18.00 is too expensive. The Leftbank has won awards for the selection and service it offers and we are competitive in the market place but I appreciate this may not be your viewpoint.
I have passed on your comments about the cleanliness to the Head Housekeeper and I apologise for the lapse in our usually high standard. We will certainly follow up on your feedback.
I do hope that you may revisit the hotel and give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed for two nights in December 2013, and found the hotel to be excellent. The hotel has lots of communal areas to sit and relax. We ate at the lock kitchen restaurant the first night, the food was excellent, with a good menu choice and friendly service. The only negative point was that the overall restaurant ambiance was lacking, it felt more like a travel lodge. The buffet breakfast selection was outstanding-the best we've ever had, with choices of different types of bacon and sausages, eggs cooked to order, even smoked salmon- all served up with a lovely riverside view.

The rooms were very stylish and comfortable, we were upgraded to a river view deluxe room, which was a nice surprise and lovely view, would be amazing in the summer.

The spa was a real relax haven, with chill out zones and all the facilities you would expect from a top health spa - even complimentary drinks, including fresh orange juice.

The second night we headed into winsor, the taxi cost around £15 each way, but we found a lovely Moroccan restaurant Al Fassia, who did an amazing tagine.

All in all, a great hotel which we will one day return to.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
therunnymede, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for your lovely review of the runnymede-on-thames and I am so glad that you liked your room and enjoyed the lovely river views. I am also pleased that you enjoyed relaxing in the spa with its various areas in which to to chill out.
I have passed on your comments to the Kitchen brigade in the Leftbank where you had breakfast as it is always nice to receive such positive reviews although I am sorry that despite the great food you found there was a lack of ambiance when you dined in The Lock.
We very much look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

The Runnymede has three great rooms seperate from the main hotel which are perfect for a family of four. The main room has a second small room with a closable door to put the little ones to bed in peace and quiet. There is a river view, amazing facilities (pools, spa etc) and the breakfast/dinner buffets are among the best in London. Sister hotel to The Grove.

Room Tip: The three family rooms, seperate from the main hotel, are the best for a family.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Steve H

Thank you for your lovely review of the runnymede and our Duplex family rooms. I am so pleased that you found these rooms ideal for your family’s needs and that you enjoyed the river views and spa facilities. I have passed on your comments regarding the food to the kitchen and restaurant teams as it is always nice to get such positive feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We have Celebrated the New Year in at this hotel before, and ten of us decided to repeat the experience. On arrival we were all welcomed enthusiastically and assisted to our rooms. My husband and I are disabled and had a very spacious room designed for ease of getting around..the others also were very happy with their rooms. The planning of the Restaurant was first class, and allowed us to access the buffet easily. The food was absolutely incredible with a wide variety of choice. The Dance area was just far enough from the restaurant to allow us to view the dancing and still be able to converse with ease.
All in all a brilliant occasion in a superb hotel at a sensible price.

Room Tip: Al double rooms were excellent.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your lovely review of the runnymede and I am so pleased that once again you enjoyed celebrating New Year at the hotel. I am glad that the team welcomed you enthusiastically, the room you were allocated was ideal for your needs and that your friends were also happy with their rooms.
I have passed on your feedback to everyone involved in the co-ordination and the operational running of the New Year festivities as they will all be so pleased that you thought the layout, planning and food was first class and incredible with a wide selection of choice.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon, hopefully before New Year’s Eve 2014.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

In December we visited The Runnymede-on-Thames again for our second visit.

Upon arrival the staff were good, friendly and efficient.

Our room was good but small and smaller than the time we stayed before. We had hoped that as a repeat customer, we would have got a better room.

We attended the 90 minute yoga class which was fun and very friendly.

We went to the Spa which is very good and had a couples massage. The masseuses were good. Afterwards we relaxed in the excellent spa lounge and had lunch.

A walk along the river and then time for dinner in the Lochfine restaurant.

The food is very good here :)

Breakfast was equally great.

Will no doubt visit again.

Room Tip: Upgrade your room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Canadauk2012
therunnymede, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for your review of the runnymede and I am pleased that on your second visit the team were again friendly and efficient as soon as you arrived. I am glad that you took advantage of the Spa classes that are free for residents to join and that you enjoyed a couple’s massage finding the masseuses very good.
I am not sure if you ate in the hotel’s Lock Bar and Kitchen but if so thank you for your kind comments regarding the food from both here and the Leftbank at breakfast.
We do endeavour to upgrade as many people as possible when we are quieter and I am sorry that we were unable to allocate you a more superior room on this visit.
I have passed on your feedback to the team so they are aware how much their efforts are appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
Great Fosters
Frensham Pond Country House Hotel & Spa
Travelodge Egham
Travelodge Egham
#3 of 3 in Egham

Been to The Runnymede on Thames? Share your experiences!