After a difficult year in 2013 and being flooded twice this year we decided to take a break in our local 5* hotel. We looked online and chose a couple’s spa break so that while we were only travelling a few miles to get to the hotel we could leave all the mess and stress behind us, even if it was for just one night.
We arrived at the hotel and the reception was great, we went to our room which was snug but clean. so we started to get ready for our evening and after searching the room I found the hairdryer on a shelf next to the bed, but as the large mirror was at the end of the bed I had to sit there to dry my hair, given that the room was small this did make getting ready difficult as my husband couldn’t walk past me to get to the bathroom, without me moving, no not the end of the world but it make it a little stressful ( ladies you know what I mean!!) anyway we went down for a drink in the bar which was lovely and the service was perfect. The meal was lovely and again the service was exceptional, nothing was too much trouble, good size portions and nicely presented.
Back in the bar for a couple of drinks and then up to bed for a much needed sleep, it is at this point that the score really starts to drop, the bed was too soft the pillows were terrible but what really drove us both mad was the loud air con through out the night, the room at best was claustrophobic and when morning came we were glad to get up.
Totally exhausted we went for breakfast, good food and service again although the plates were quite small.
It was at this point that we decided that we just wanted to get home to go back to bed, meaning that the spa part of our break was completely missed, our choice I know but when you are tired and have had enough all you want to do is go home. Even if it has just been flooded its still home with your own bed.
The hotel did refund our bar bill £16.00 ish as we are not big drinkers but I am so disappointed that after looking forward to this we have been left feeling tired and poorer (the cost was £299) to be kept awake all night.
I would not stay here again although I would defiantly visit again for dinner, shame as we like to support local hotels and this was meant to be a treat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set right on the banks of the river Thames we are the perfect location for a short break. Our family friendly hotel is near attractions, theme parks and fantastic sights. There's so much to do right here too with riverside walks, our award-winning spa, gorgeous riverside dining and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotels.com and Superbreak UK so you can book your The Runnymede on Thames reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Runnymede-On-Thames Hotel Egham
- Runnymede Hotel Egham
- Hotel Runnymede
- The Runnymede On Thames Egham, Surrey