“A really nice hotel clean, excellent service and fantastic food, so why the low score?” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Runnymede on Thames

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Runnymede on Thames
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Egham
Shepperton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

After a difficult year in 2013 and being flooded twice this year we decided to take a break in our local 5* hotel. We looked online and chose a couple’s spa break so that while we were only travelling a few miles to get to the hotel we could leave all the mess and stress behind us, even if it was for just one night.
We arrived at the hotel and the reception was great, we went to our room which was snug but clean. so we started to get ready for our evening and after searching the room I found the hairdryer on a shelf next to the bed, but as the large mirror was at the end of the bed I had to sit there to dry my hair, given that the room was small this did make getting ready difficult as my husband couldn’t walk past me to get to the bathroom, without me moving, no not the end of the world but it make it a little stressful ( ladies you know what I mean!!) anyway we went down for a drink in the bar which was lovely and the service was perfect. The meal was lovely and again the service was exceptional, nothing was too much trouble, good size portions and nicely presented.
Back in the bar for a couple of drinks and then up to bed for a much needed sleep, it is at this point that the score really starts to drop, the bed was too soft the pillows were terrible but what really drove us both mad was the loud air con through out the night, the room at best was claustrophobic and when morning came we were glad to get up.
Totally exhausted we went for breakfast, good food and service again although the plates were quite small.
It was at this point that we decided that we just wanted to get home to go back to bed, meaning that the spa part of our break was completely missed, our choice I know but when you are tired and have had enough all you want to do is go home. Even if it has just been flooded its still home with your own bed.
The hotel did refund our bar bill £16.00 ish as we are not big drinkers but I am so disappointed that after looking forward to this we have been left feeling tired and poorer (the cost was £299) to be kept awake all night.
I would not stay here again although I would defiantly visit again for dinner, shame as we like to support local hotels and this was meant to be a treat.

Room Tip: avoid room 218!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rosiemhc9xt
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you for review and I am pleased that the service in the lounge and restaurant was excellent and that you chose your local hotel to get away from your home and the stresses of the localised flooding.
I am however, sorry that the bed was too soft for you. Many of our guests enjoy the feather toppers on our beds but these can be removed if guests find them too soft. We can also switch off air conditioning units if the noise from the fan is disturbing. I am sorry that we were not aware of these issues as we would have tried to find a solution for you.
We do not like to hear of any guest’s disappointment so I shall contact these guests directly to try to make amends. Meanwhile, my apologies.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

An old school friend and I went here for afternoon tea with Champagne. We had a lovely view of the raging torrent that is the Thames at the moment. All the staff we met were very efficient and friendly.
Our tea was delicious with well made sandwiches and cakes. There were refills of tea as required and we had a lovely afternoon.
We had a Cuppa Club voucher which made our tea excellent value, but were never made to feel we were doing it on the cheap.
All in all a lovely experience and we shall return!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for your lovely review of the runnymede and your afternoon tea. I am pleased that you were made to feel welcome throughout your visit and that the team were efficient and friendly and that you were able to enjoy the views of what is a very high and fast flowing river Thames at the moment.
I have passed on your kind comments about the delicious sandwiches and cakes to the chef and the lounge team as it is always nice to receive positive feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

I've visited a few times and the food is consistently very good, the atmosphere was ok too but that was because we were surrounded by friends and family. The service however is always hit and miss. On one visit the service was great... When i asked for water immediately brought a jug of water to the table as I would expect. Later as the restaurant filled up the manager was showing everyone to their tables and asked everyone if they would like water for the table to which everyone was saying yes and immediately he asked if they would like still or sparkling. Our food was very good. We were served by a girl named Anna . I'm not the kind of person that remembers people who serve me unless they give me a reason to with some kind of exceptional service, whether it be exceptionally bad or exceptionally good. She was all smiles and when she asked me how I was doing, I felt like she really cared. She was fabulous! Great recommendations with a very pleasant manner. Overall I was very pleased with the hotel and would go back there again .

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you so much for reviewing the runnymnede after your most recent visit. I am pleased that you find the food consistently very good.
I have passed your kind comments about the great service you received from Anna to the team and Anna herself as it is always nice to receive such feedback and Anna will be proud that she stood out for her friendliness and genuine hospitality. Due to you mentioning Anna by name as a team member that stood out for you she has been nominated for our employee of the quarter competition to show her that her efforts are appreciated by both our guests and the hotel team.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future when I hope you find the service to be good again as we certainly do not wish it to be considered ‘hit and miss’.
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Great hotel wonderful staff . clean modern and small elements of attention to detail that made a difference, will come back for sure. The staff went above and beyond to support us, would love to return and make the most of the spa and walks

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dutt3
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for your glowing review of the runnymede-on-thames and for your comment that the team here are wonderful and that you found the hotel clean and modern. I have passed on your kind comments onto the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future when you can again enjoy the river walks and spa facilities.
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

Superb location. Lovely hotel with Good food and nice staff. Our room was right opposite the river-side, so it had a beautiful view. The rooms had all amenities with no complains. The staff were good and looked after us during dinner and Breakfast. Definitely would love to stay here again

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for your glowing review of the runnymede and I am pleased that you thought the hotel is in a superb location and you enjoyed the river view from your room. I am also glad that your room had all the amenities that you needed and the team looked after you well in the restaurants.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Craig Spencer
Resident / Guest Relations Manager.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

The runnymede hotel is one of the gems of the area. Although it has a 70's look on the outside the inside is tastefull and comfortable. Seating for afternoon tea is reserved by the large glass windows overlooking the Thames. The service is impeccable. The tea consisted of a glass of champagne delicious finger sandwichs amd plenty of them, wonderful little cakes and pastries with scones,jam and clotted cream to finish. The tea or coffee was never ending. A wonderful experience.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely review of afternoon tea in the lounge at the runnymede. I am so pleased that despite the façade of the hotel you found the inside décor tasteful and comfortable with views through the large windows across the river.
I have passed on your feedback to the pastry team for their wonderful little cakes and I am sure the lounge team will be pleased that you found the service impeccable.
Hopefully we will see you soon, maybe in the summer when the terraces are open.
Sunny Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a magnificent weekend stay at the Runnymede. Firstly, it is really easy to get to, immediately off the motorway network. First impression as you turn in may be a little disappointing, it is a very modern looking building and very large so was slightly concerned it would lack character. Once inside though, everything was perfect, or very close to. The welcome was warm and friendly, they parked the car and took care of our luggage. We were early so our room wasn't ready but everything was taken care of, we enjoyed lunch in the lovely lounge with a window seat overlooking the Thames, then took a walk along the river. They offered to text us as soon as the room was ready. The room itself was large and functional, again with a great view of the river. The bed was warm and comfy.
Food is clearly something this hotel excels at, the Right Bank restaurant is clearly the place to eat. The word buffet really doesn't do it justice, it is the most amazing selection of almost every conceivable food imaginable. We also discovered if you happen to fancy something not on show you only have to mention it and it will be found. The chef used to work at Buckingham Palace and I bet the Queen misses him!
Breakfast is also a superb choice, three different types of sausage, the same of bacon and eggs cooked to order.
Again, if you fancy something different, just ask.
The leisure complex was large and very well equipped, most enjoyable on the Friday when it was quieter.
The only slight negative is that it is quite a large hotel and only appeared to have one small lift, which meant a bit of a wait sometimes, also a fairly long walk from the lift to the room.
As we have found in the past, finding a hotel with a great building and facilities is relatively easy, what is harder is finding one with an excellent, well trained, friendly and polite staff. I can honestly say everyone we met here fitted that criteria in abundance. They should give themselves a very well deserved pat on the back.
I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a river view, don't go if you're scared of ducks!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shemat
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review of your ‘magnificent stay’ at the runnymede-on-thames. I am pleased that once inside you found the hotel and team warm and friendly and that you enjoyed lunch in the lounge overlooking the river Thames.
I am also glad that you enjoyed the vast array of dishes available in the Leftbank buffet restaurant and the chef even conjured up a dish that wasn’t on the menu. Our team are always willing to help if they can with specific requests. I have passed on your kind comments about the food at dinner and the breakfast to the kitchen brigade who will be so pleased to see how much you enjoyed their dishes.
I am glad that you also enjoyed the spa. We have two guest lifts in the hotel depending on which wing you are staying in but I am sorry if there was a wait on some occasions for the one at the side of the building in which your room was located.
I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to everyone and thank you for your praise as it is feedback like this that encourages the team to go that step further for our guests.
We very much look forward to your return.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
Great Fosters
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 17 in Windsor
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,121 reviews

Been to The Runnymede on Thames? Share your experiences!