“Almost perfect”

The Runnymede on Thames
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Egham
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is a VERY good hotel. It is family friendly but classy at the same time. We stayed here for two nights with three children of different ages and overall thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
The pool is quite exceptional, clean and well designed and the temperature of the water was just perfect. The restaurants are both excellent but we found the a la carte (The Lock) restaurant a bit overpriced although the quality of the food was very good. The rooms are not huge but are immaculately clean and well laid out. The location is fantastic, being on the river and so close to many attractions, including Legoland and Chessington.
I would have given this hotel 5 stars but the service at breakfast was disappointing as we were asked to occupy a table for four although there were five of us and we were clearly quite crammed. When we asked for a high chair they forgot about it and we had to ask again after 10 minutes. We also asked for coffee and it took ages to arrive both mornings.
When we checked out, the bill had a breakfast charge of £18 which was incorrect. I challenged it and was told it had been added in error. I then had to hang around waiting for a manger to issue me a refund. The reception staff appeared quite annoyed that I insisted on having the refund sorted out before leaving the hotel rather than relying on them to sort it out later.
So my advice is, check your bill carefully before leaving!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank GuendalinaCatEyes
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for your positive review of the runnymede-on-thames. I am very pleased that you found us to be ‘family friendly but classy’ and that you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your stay. I am delighted that you thought that our pool was quite exceptional and that both of the restaurants were excellent. We do offer a range of rooms with our deluxe doubles affording our guests more space, however I am very pleased that you thought that your room was immaculately clean and well laid out. It is also great to read that you thought that our location and proximity to Legoland and Chessington was fantastic.

Please accept my apologies for the lapses in service that you experienced at breakfast. We pride ourselves on the high level of service that we offer our guests and I am disappointed that this fell below levels that we would consider to be acceptable on a couple of occasions. I am sorry that there was also an error relating to your bill and that you felt that this was not rectified efficiently enough. I have passed on your comments for the team for review.

Overall, however, I am pleased that you found us to be ‘almost perfect’ and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have just returned from an excellent night's stay at the Runnymede hotel. As usual the room was clean, service impeccable and food a delight to return the pounds previously lost!

Far and beyond the normal excellent standard that all the staff achieve, one lady in particular saved the day. On returning home and realising that my child's much loved cuddly toy of 8 years had been left behind at the hotel (mother's error), Katy Hopkins went beyond the call of duty. With true professionalism, understanding and more of that special exemplary Runnymede service, she has located the left behind item. Thank you very much and may I recommend Ms Hopkins for a service award at the hotel.

We very much look forward to a return visit very soon. Thank you again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your wonderful review of the runnymede-on-thames. I am thrilled to read that you found your room to be clean, our service impeccable and the food a delight. I am very pleased that you thought that the standard of service amongst our staff was excellent and that Katy, in particular, was particularly professional and was able to assist you in relocating your daughter’s toy. It is great that you felt that Katy went above and beyond the call of duty and, thanks to your feedback, she has been nominated for our Employee of the Month award.

We hope to welcome you back again very soon and thank you once again for your kind comments.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We spent two nights at the runnymeade with our children for the weekend. The hotel is lovely and they catered very well for children, they loved the playground and the indoor and outdoor pool and we hired a boat for an hour which was great fun, it was very easy to arrange at the hotel. Quality of the food was very good. Only disappointment was the room was quite small for all 4 of us and as we couldn't get a riverside view room ended up with a view of the air conditioning unit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your positive review of the runnymede-on-thames. I am delighted that you thought that the hotel was lovely and that we catered very well for children. I am thrilled that your children were able to enjoy both of our swimming pools, our play area and our riverboats. I am also pleased to read that you found the quality of our food offering to be very good. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the size of your room and the view. We do offer a range of rooms including apartments and interconnecting rooms which are designed with families in mind; as we approach the summer we are becoming increasingly busy and I apologise that your first choice of room may not have been available.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

This afternoon we attended a 60th birthday celebration at the Runnymede on Thames Hotel. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon (rarely seen in the UK) and the pimms was flowing. We had drinks out on the riverside watching all the holiday boats passing by on the weir opposite. We then had an amazing three course meal buffet in one of their reception rooms facing the Thames. The food selection was excellent. There were 82 people comfortably seated on the 8 tables and the atmosphere was wonderful. So if you are looking for a venue to celebrate your wedding, birthday or bar mitzvah this is the place. An unforgettable afternoon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind review. I am thrilled to read that you had an unforgettable afternoon at the runnymede-on-thames. I am very pleased that you found our food offering to be amazing and thought that the selection available was excellent. It is great to learn that the atmosphere during the celebrations was wonderful and that you enjoyed the hotel’s ambience and location.

We hope to welcome you back very soon, whether it is for another special occasion, a meal or a leisure break.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Just returned from a two night stay.

We wasn't sure what to expect as we just booked the hotel as it was in the area we wanted and alongside the Thames. As a regular traveller both for business and leisure this is without doubt one of the best we have stayed in for quality and choice of food and friendliness from the staff throughout the hotel, especially the two more mature ladies at breakfast - whatever training the staff are getting regarding customer service is working, pity more hotels aren't like this. As part of our package we had dinner in the Leftbank and was that impressed we booked in again for the second night so didn't try the other restaurants, lots of choice of well presented and well prepared food.

Our room, a double standard, was cosy as some of the reviews comment on but very well equipped and had everything you needed. We even got clean bedding on the second night which I have not known before and the room was made up as if you were a new guest not just a quick tidy round as seems the norm in most other hotels.

It was also nice to see how children were treated right from booking in when they received a goody bag and made to feel welcome not a hindrance.

From booking in to having a drink to having a meal through to checking out the staff we encountered could not do enough for you and were always friendly and helpful, we were very impressed.

Due to the hotels proximity to London I was expecting very high prices in the hotel, but again pleasantly surprised - much cheaper than a Hilton or Holiday Inn.

We had a really good experience and fully intend to return later in the year.

Well done the Runnymede.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a river view, well worth it - only cost us £5 a night extra.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShoppyLinconshire

Thank you for your glowing review of the runnymede-on-thames. I am absolutely delighted that you thought that we were one of the best hotels that you have stayed in with regards to our quality and choice of food as well as the friendliness of our staff. I have passed on your kind comments to the team, it is great to know that their efforts are appreciated. I am pleased that your standard room was to your liking and that you found it to be very well equipped.

We do endeavour to provide a family-family environment and I am glad that you appreciated the goody bags that we give to our younger guests. I am thrilled that you found our staff to be very accommodating throughout the hotel and were impressed with the level of service that you received.

Thank you for your comments regarding our prices, I am pleased that you found us to be competitive.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon and thank you once again for your lovely feedback.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel many times on business trips, I like this hotel and has no problems recommending it, I think it is a very good 4 star hotel. The rooms were excellent, clean and no bed smell, Wi-Fi is good and the staff is very helping. The only thing I don’t like is the sticky toiletry collection they have or may be the water is too hard in this area. I haven't used the spa so can't comment, the gym was decent though.
I have also eaten in the restaurants leftbank and lock and bar kitchen both are fantastic for a 4star hotel.
This place is worth the £.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your lovely review of the runnymede-on-thames. I am very pleased that you would recommend the hotel and that you found our rooms to be excellent, the WiFi service good and our staff very helpful. I am also delighted that you found our food offering in both The Lock Bar and Kitchen and leftbank to be fantastic. I am sorry that the newly introduced Espa toiletry products were not to your liking but overall I am very glad that you like the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon, whether it is for business or pleasure.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Just returned home after another fab stay at the runnymede, this time we took my daughter and her BFF and had the chessington package.
We stayed in a connecting room and the girls loved having their own private space. We stayed for 2nights and even though the weather wasn't the best that didn't stop us enjoying the beautiful surroundings.
The girls made full use of the swimming pool, and enjoyed being made to feel special and grown up in the lounge in the evening with cocktails.
We ate in both the resturants and my favourite was the left bank, the girls preferred the lock but both had amazing food.
Have been coming here for the last 4 years bad am already looking forward to our next stay, hopefully in the summer hols as we would like to take advantage of the out door pool next time.
Well done runnymede, we are always made to feel so welcome and customer service if any little niggles are quick to help out and sort things.
Roll on the summer!!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your glowing review. I am very pleased that you all enjoyed our Chessington package and were able to make use of many of the facilities that we offer at the runnymede-on-thames. I am glad that you felt that our team were welcoming and looked after you well and that you found our food offering in both The Lock Bar and Kitchen and leftbank to be amazing. I have passed on your kind comments to the rest of the team, as it is great for them to know that their efforts are appreciated. Thank you for your continued loyalty and we very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon, hopefully in the summer when the weather will be a little better and you can indeed take a dip in our outside pool!

Resident / Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
Great Fosters
De Vere Wotton House
De Vere Wotton House
#1 of 8 in Dorking
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa

Been to The Runnymede on Thames? Share your experiences!