“Excellent Venue”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Egham
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Venue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

A group of girlfriends met up at the Runnymede for dinner and drinks and we were not disappointed. The Lock restaurant held our table for over an hour whilst we enjoyed drinks on the terrace right by the river. The food was excellent especially the short ribs and the fish and chips. After dinner drinks and coffee on the terrace was a treat. The staff were excellent and didn't hurry us away even though they had closed the restaurant, instead providing more coffees even after we had paid the bill.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Runnymede_Manager, Public Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for your positive review of the runnymede-on-thames and I am pleased that you and your friends were able to enjoy drinks on the terrace before dining in The Lock Bar and Kitchen where you enjoyed the menu choices especially the fish and chips and a new addition to the menu - the short ribs. I am pleased that you found the team excellent and happy to assist you even after the restaurant had closed. I have passed on your kind comments to the team so they know how much their efforts are appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I was really surprised by the last two reviews, the Runnymede hotel was fantastic. I booked this for a hen weekend and chose it due to the fab location and a great review read about the spa in a national paper. The staff were absolutely amazing, so helpful and really polite. The rooms were immaculate and the spa was perfect.

When the sun is shining this place is particularly lovely. The Thames towpath runs in front of the hotel and you can do really nice walks from here. Being a mother I would also say that this place is great for families. There are children's indoor and outdoor pool facilities and the Runnymede pleasure ground a nearby walk from the hotel has bouncy castles, go carts, paddling pool etc.

Finally we ate at the hotel for dinner lunch and breakfast. You have a buffet option (which was well stocked and fresh) or a couple of other a la carte dining options.

All in all a wonderful stay, thank you to the staff of the hotel for making it a very special hen weekend.

Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for your glowing review of the runnymede-on-thames hotel and spa and I am so pleased that you found your hen weekend with us so enjoyable, your rooms immaculate and the spa perfect.
I have passed on your feedback to the team who you found to be amazing as it is feedback such as this that encourages them to provide the high level of service we pride ourselves on.
Local to the hotel we do have many attractions which you found as well as Thorpe Park, Legoland and Windsor so we are ideally located for family breaks as well as hen parties and couples retreats.
We look forward to seeing you all again soon.
Donaghadee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Egham has three excellent hotels, but this is my favourite. It has all the expected facilities (see reviews below), including free WiFi, but has two outstanding features which draw me back. Firstly, the restaurant is excellent (and I am not a fan of hotel restaurants - so often disappointing) - an interesting menu, each dish perfectly cooked. But to be able to stroll down to the river and be able to walk along the bank is the highlight of every visit. Always a comfortable stay, this is a hotel I look forward to which I look forward to returning.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am thrilled to read that the runnymede-on-thames is your favourite hotel in Egham. I am very pleased that we offer all of the facilities that you would expect, including complimentary WiFi for hotel residents, and it is great to learn that our food offering and our location beside the Thames particularly stand out for you.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, whether it is for business or pleasure, and thank you again for your glowing feedback.
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

There doesn't seem to be a lot to add to the very many positive reviews of this hotel - for us (family of four with two smallish children) it was an ideal 2 day break - not too far from home but with enough going on in the hotel to feel it was worth the trip (and money). We have stayed in many different kinds of hotels and this time round just wanted to relax somewhere with modern open spaces, great child friendly facilities and the option to take up a spa treatment or two - in essence something for everyone.
The hotel is a modern style block on an enviable location right on the banks of the Thames, Both inside and outside public spaces are great, lots of wood and glass and with lovely views over the lock - perfect for sunny days. Our deluxe room (needed to accommodate 2 chlldren) was a bit on the small side, kind of 'standardised' but perfectly clean, nicely furnished and comfortable if not widely exciting. Only small gripe is that we looked over the air conditioning unit (seems like a lot of hotels put child rooms in the least desirable locations) but then again we did book on the day and got an extremely good rate which included breakfast for all of us on both days and dinner for 2 on the first night. Would certainly suggest the river view rooms if there was a choice.
The service and friendliness of the staff was terrific and they acknowledged our anniversary with a couple of nice little touches. The kids received goody bags on arrival and had animal sleeping bags to sleep in if they preferred these to regular bedding. There was a play area, tennis courts and outside games on offer and good walking (scooting) paths by the river. There was an indoor pool and a very good heated outdoor one - Kids loved it there and made a few friends as well.
We tried both restaurants - the buffet style one offered an immense choice - starters and puddings particularly good and mains decent - preferred second night in The Lock. Ended up both nights in the very relaxing lounge area having coffee and playing cards with the children. Breakfast was an exercise in control with plenty of choice and cooked to order.
Don't often say that I would like to go back to an hotel (so many more to see!) but will look out for further special offers as it is such a relaxing, easy place in which to spend time.

Room Tip: There are three duplexes which apparently offer a bit more space for families - seems like the large...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank meljaLondon
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you so much for your glowing review of your last minute stay at the runnymede. I am so pleased that the children liked the snuggle sacks in the bedroom and made new friends in the outdoor pool.
I am also glad that you liked the décor of the hotel and felt comfortable in the lounge area playing cards with the children.
Having two restaurants enables families to have some choice whilst staying in the hotel and I am pleased that despite having a favourite you enjoyed the food offering in both the buffet and a la carte restaurants.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and thank you once again for such a positive review.
bewdley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here for a 2 night stay with my friends for a charity cycle event we attended at Windsor race course, perfect location as it was only a 10 min drive away :)
Value for money was exceptional, and the meals we had were great too!!
We had breakfast included both mornings, food and amount of options were great, had dinner also in the Leftbank restaurant on 1st evening, this was again fantastic! Had dinner at Lock restaurant 2nd evening and again wonderful food/great service.
Staff were lovely and interested in what we were doing for charity.
Rooms were small but clean and well equipped, lovely view of the Thames.
The grounds are gorgeous, free parking was an added bonus.
We all had a treatment in the spa to relieve our backs from our 100k cycle ride through the night in London, pricey but so relaxing, we then used the pool/spa and this was one of the cleanest I've used. We also hired the hotels boat for an hr to tour part of the Thames, this was a unique experience, all in all this is one of the most pleasant/ relaxed hotels I have ever stayed in, will be most definitely visiting again in the future!!! :)

Room Tip: Looking out at the Thames is a must :)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank raya0102
Thank you for your fantastic review of the runnymede-on-thames. I am thrilled that you thought that we offered excellent value for money and also that you enjoyed our food offering and the service in both of our restaurants. I am pleased that you found our staff to be lovely; I have passed on your kind comments to the rest of the team so they are aware of how much their efforts are appreciated. I am glad that you found your rooms to be clean and well equipped, and that you liked your riverside view. Thank you for your comments regarding our grounds, we do endeavour to keep them well-tended. I am delighted that you found your spa treatments to be relaxing and the facilities to be some of the cleanest you have used.
Many congratulations on your charity cycle event, and once again thank you for your glowing feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the runnymede-on-thames very soon.
cambridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is a VERY good hotel. It is family friendly but classy at the same time. We stayed here for two nights with three children of different ages and overall thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
The pool is quite exceptional, clean and well designed and the temperature of the water was just perfect. The restaurants are both excellent but we found the a la carte (The Lock) restaurant a bit overpriced although the quality of the food was very good. The rooms are not huge but are immaculately clean and well laid out. The location is fantastic, being on the river and so close to many attractions, including Legoland and Chessington.
I would have given this hotel 5 stars but the service at breakfast was disappointing as we were asked to occupy a table for four although there were five of us and we were clearly quite crammed. When we asked for a high chair they forgot about it and we had to ask again after 10 minutes. We also asked for coffee and it took ages to arrive both mornings.
When we checked out, the bill had a breakfast charge of £18 which was incorrect. I challenged it and was told it had been added in error. I then had to hang around waiting for a manger to issue me a refund. The reception staff appeared quite annoyed that I insisted on having the refund sorted out before leaving the hotel rather than relying on them to sort it out later.
So my advice is, check your bill carefully before leaving!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GuendalinaCatEyes
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for your positive review of the runnymede-on-thames. I am very pleased that you found us to be ‘family friendly but classy’ and that you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your stay. I am delighted that you thought that our pool was quite exceptional and that both of the restaurants were excellent. We do offer a range of rooms with our deluxe doubles affording our guests more space, however I am very pleased that you thought that your room was immaculately clean and well laid out. It is also great to read that you thought that our location and proximity to Legoland and Chessington was fantastic.

Please accept my apologies for the lapses in service that you experienced at breakfast. We pride ourselves on the high level of service that we offer our guests and I am disappointed that this fell below levels that we would consider to be acceptable on a couple of occasions. I am sorry that there was also an error relating to your bill and that you felt that this was not rectified efficiently enough. I have passed on your comments for the team for review.

Overall, however, I am pleased that you found us to be ‘almost perfect’ and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have just returned from an excellent night's stay at the Runnymede hotel. As usual the room was clean, service impeccable and food a delight to return the pounds previously lost!

Far and beyond the normal excellent standard that all the staff achieve, one lady in particular saved the day. On returning home and realising that my child's much loved cuddly toy of 8 years had been left behind at the hotel (mother's error), Katy Hopkins went beyond the call of duty. With true professionalism, understanding and more of that special exemplary Runnymede service, she has located the left behind item. Thank you very much and may I recommend Ms Hopkins for a service award at the hotel.

We very much look forward to a return visit very soon. Thank you again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your wonderful review of the runnymede-on-thames. I am thrilled to read that you found your room to be clean, our service impeccable and the food a delight. I am very pleased that you thought that the standard of service amongst our staff was excellent and that Katy, in particular, was particularly professional and was able to assist you in relocating your daughter’s toy. It is great that you felt that Katy went above and beyond the call of duty and, thanks to your feedback, she has been nominated for our Employee of the Month award.

We hope to welcome you back again very soon and thank you once again for your kind comments.

Resident / Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
Great Fosters
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 17 in Windsor
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,158 reviews

Been to The Runnymede on Thames? Share your experiences!