“Great hotel, get your service problems sorted and it would be 5 star!”

The Runnymede on Thames
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Egham
West Lothian
“Great hotel, get your service problems sorted and it would be 5 star!”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed here last Sat and Sun night. Didn't know what to expect but hubby had stayed here before and said the rooms were very good. Yes, they are! Excellent in fact, spacious, very comfortable beds, great silent a/c, good amenities (ESPA products), lightweight bathrobes and proper bath towels (large). Overhead shower in the bath was excellent and housekeeping made an excellent job and also very friendly which was a pleasant change.

Now then, service: I appreciate that on Saturday night it was exceptionally busy but as a paying customer that is not my problem, I do NOT want to wait 15 minutes to get a waiter's attention. I expect to be brought the correct drink. I do not want to be given 2! bills. I do expect that my table be cleared of the previous occupant's 'remains' when asked and not have to look at it when sipping my drink! Yes, there was a wedding on but we were paying good money too so you need to sort this out.

Breakfasts were excellent with a huge choice of food. We both loved the honeycomb on Sunday morning, never seen that before. Nothing too much trouble for the staff when asked to clear a plate away but this should be done without asking. Need to address this too.

Buffet dinner that was included in the price was very good. WAs a bit dubious about freshness however it was very good quality. I had langoustines with marie rose sauce, very good, followed by mussel soup (kindly made to order) which was EXCELLENT. Hubby had the roast beef and salad and said his beef was cooked to perfection.

Very impressed when we checked in that despite our room not being ready - Room 114 (we were a bit early for check in) we were heading off to London for a party, the Receptionist swiftly advised me that i could use the Spa facilities to change. That is good service.

We will definitely return for a more leisurely visit and despite the unlikely location beside the motorway, it IS beside the lovely Thames and has something for everyone, indoor/outdoor pool, walks beside the river, lovely lawn area, great comfy sofas right beside the water to while away some time, table tennis on the lawn, nice squashy cushions on the lawn.

This is a very good hotel with lovely staff - just train your Waiters better.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the side of the hotel and it was nice and quiet - with air con we did not...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your great feedback and I am so pleased that you decided to stay with us after a trip here by your husband. I am also pleased that you liked your room and found the housekeeping standards excellent and the team themselves friendly.
It is great that you were able to enjoy the outdoor space and relax on the private residents jetty area and on the lawns watching the boats sail by.
I have passed on your feedback to the kitchen brigade regarding the food offering and I am pleased that you enjoyed dinner and the breakfast both mornings.
I have also passed on your feedback regarding the service to the restaurant and Bar manager’s so they can address the issues you have raised. This is not our usual feedback and I am sorry for this lapse in service from the team.
However, I am pleased that you would return and we look forward to your next visit.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Polish first
Staines
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Just had lunch at the Leftbank restaurant absolutely first class. Food buffet style 3 course as much as you can eat. Can recommend the crispy lamb for main and had 4 puddings yummie. Staff so friendly service could not be better. Will definitely be back. Deal at the moment includes a glass of Sangria and above for £20 per head.

• Stayed August 2014
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for your glowing feedback on lunch at the runnymede last week. I am pleased that you enjoyed the food especially the crispy lamb and that you saved space for all those yummy desserts.
I have passed on your feedback to the Chefs and the team in the restaurant as it is always nice for them to get good feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We have just returned from a night away at the Runnymede-on Thames. It will become a regular place to celebrate birthdays and anniversaries!! The staff is extremely professional: knowledgeable and courteous. The location is perfect: less than an hour's drive away and lots to do : outdoor pool, spa facilities and lovely river walks to Magna Carta and Kennedy Memorials, and Windsor. The food in the Lock Bar and Restaurant is simple but elegantly presented, and perfectly cooked. The selection of quality food for breakfast in the Left Bank Restaurant beats any hotel I have ever stayed in. The rooms are small side, but the view of the river made up for this, and the bathroom and room service were impeccable. There were some nice touches of welcome and congratulations for our celebratory night... unusually warm and friendly for such a large, professional establishment.

Room Tip: Opt for a river view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your great review of your anniversary celebration with us, and I am so pleased that we will become a regular place for your celebrations. I am glad that you found the location perfect for you with plenty to do in the grounds of the hotel as well as being able to enjoy the local attractions such as Windsor, the Magna Carta Memorial and the Kennedy Memorial.
I have passed on your glowing feedback on the food offering to the entire kitchen and restaurant team as it is always nice for them to know their efforts are appreciated and I am pleased that you enjoyed your meal.
It’s also good to know that the small touches we provide made you want to return for future visits and we look forward to seeing you soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I flew into LHR Terminal 5 and took a taxi to this hotel for a business lunch meeting. However be warned that you will pay £35 for the 10 min trip by London cabbie - he explained that he had been waiting for 4 hours and this was the official fare. It was hot summers day and we sat outside overlooking the river as various shape and size craft meandered by, Very peaceful and pleasant so it might be hard to conduct a tough negotiation at this idyllic place. Service was good and our lunch of Salad Nicoise (£11.00) was well prepared and just right for the occasion. Being less than a mile off the manic M25, the Runnymede offers a great and tranquil location that I will keep using for business meetings in the Heathrow area. Far better than the plethora of characterless and dull airport hotels.

Room Tip: Did not stay at the hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your lovely review of the runnymede and I am pleased that you found our location beside the Thames a tranquil location for your meetings in the area. On future visits if you contact us in advance we can arrange a taxi from the airport which would cost less than an airport taxi.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your salad whilst watching the boats meandering by on the river and we look forward to your next visit.
United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a weekend break at the Runnymede-on Thames. It is one of our favourite places to "get away from it all", which is why we keep returning year after year.

The staff is fantastic: pleasant, helpful and courteous. The location is great: a few miles from Windsor, and right on the River Thames.

The food is wonderful. The Left Bank Restaurant offers an extensive selection of quality food at both breakfast and dinner. The Lock Bar and Restaurant is also good and has the benefit of staff member, Lucia, who is incredibly helpful and obliging, and a credit to the hotel.

The standard double rooms, although very nice, tend to be on the small side, so this time we upgraded to a deluxe room and it was well worth the extra money. The room was very spacious, with a lovely bathroom.

We will continue to return to this hotel as it never disappoints!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for glowing your review of the runnymede and I am pleased that you enjoy coming away to stay with us to ‘get away from it all’ each year.
I am delighted that you like the food offering in all of the restaurants and that you find the team here to be helpful and courteous. I have passed on your comments to the team and as you have mentioned Lucia in The Lock Bar and Kitchen by name she will be automatically nominated for our Employee of the Quarter award.
I am also glad that you found the deluxe rooms worth the upgrade and you thought the bathrooms were lovely.
We look forward to your next visit.
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We have just come back from a Friday to Monday stay. Great facilities and right on the Thames.This is Certainly a child friendly hotel. The outdoor pool was good fun with inflatables provided for children. There weren't enough sun beds but room for more perhaps next year.

The indoor pool and tennis courts were fantastic. The free juice in the spa was a nice touch. We found pool lifeguards and spa staff to be very pleasant and friendly.

We hired a boat from the hotel and this is an unforgettable experience I thoroughly recommend.

The service in the restaurants and bar was only ok at best with the exception of Gary who was fantastic. The buffet restaurant good was very good and enjoyed by all our party. I wish they would add a burger to the lounge menu. Sandwiches were lovely though. Breakfast was good and a great choice plenty of smoked salmon but there appeared to be rations on the jam and butter more please!

In the evening there were bean bags and connect 4 for the children. We started an impromptu football match and by the end had 16 children playing. The hotel seemed to encourage children having fun - thank-you it makes for a very pleasurable time.

The rooms were good in size and the nice touches such as lion sleeping bag for the children, goody bag and gingerbread cookies were very welcome. Plenty of towels which were replenished in the evening as well.

Our air conditioning didn't work properly but we were given a fan which sufficed for our stay.
I would recommend this hotel to young families we will be returning next year.

Room Tip: Try to get one overlooking the river ours overlooked the car park.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your glowing review of the runnymede and I am pleased that you family enjoyed your short break with us.
I am glad that the children enjoyed the outdoor pool and the floats provided for them and that the team around the pool and spa were pleasant and friendly. I am also pleased that you took the opportunity to hire one of our river boats and had an unforgettable jaunt down the river.
I have passed on your kind feedback about the team and especially Gary in the Leftbank to all the teams so they know how much their efforts are appreciated. We will take your feedback regarding the food offering on board and review this with others as we always look to improve the offering.
I am pleased that your rooms were comfortable and that the children liked the snuggle sacks and treats on arrival.
We look forward to your return visit to the hotel next year
Kind Regards
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

we had a lovely lunch at this hotel. A lovely hotel with a great setting by the Thames. A large selection on the Menu to choose from and the staff were very attentive . We didn't have to wait long for our lunches eventhough it was really busy. A lovely special offer was half price fish dishes on Friday and the Sea trout was delicious ! prices are quite reasonable considering the location of the hotel.
I would certainly recommend this restaurant to anyone. its good for families too.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of the runnymede and I am so pleased that you had a lovely lunch overlooking the Thames. I am glad that the team were attentive and you were able to take advantage of our Fish on Friday offer finding the Sea Trout delicious.
It is pleasing that you would recommend the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
Great Fosters
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 17 in Windsor
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,189 reviews

Been to The Runnymede on Thames? Share your experiences!