“Perfect riverside setting”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Egham
Kent
“Perfect riverside setting”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

This is the 2nd visit my daughter and I have had to the Runnymede. It is a friendly, laid back hotel that seems to suit families, couples and business people. We had riverside view rooms on both visits which are well worth paying for and if we come again I would upgrade to a deluxe room as the extra space and roomier bathroom are worth it.
The spa is lovely and we both enjoyed a treatment there which was competitively priced.
We ate in the Lock Bar restaurant where staff were helpful and friendly and food outstanding.
My only tiny criticism is that last year the spa and rooms used White Company toiletries which were gorgeous and this year the Espa toiletries smell quite unpleasant.
We would love to return and make this an annual mum and daughter weekend!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for your review of the runnymede and I am pleased that you and your daughter enjoyed your visit to us finding the hotel suitable for everyone.
I am glad that you liked your riverside rooms overlooking the river thames and enjoyed use of the spa indulging in a treatment each.
I have passed on your feedback to the spa team and the Lock Bar and Kitchen team where you found the team helpful and friendly as it is always nice for them to know their efforts are appreciated.
I am sorry that you prefer the White company products to the Espa products in the Spa and bedrooms and your feedback will be passed on to our Group Purchasing Manager for his review.
We look forward to your next visit to us.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel setting overlooking the River Thames is beautiful and the proximity to Heathrow is perfect, also great for family days out to Windsor or Legoland, or business trips. The staff are highly attentive and ensure that your needs are promptly met. The spa facilities and hotel amenities are excellent. Meals at both restaurants and breakfast room service are absolutely fantastic, catering well for all including vegetarian / vegan diets The evening / lunch buffet spread is just first class. The outside restaurant terrace is a really nice place to spend some time and the service is good. A chance to relax and watch the world go by. Sitting in their cosy lounge, having a cup of tea and simply capturing the views of the Thames. Lovely surroundings and very peaceful. The restaurants / rooms are great and the breakfast are excellent. Check in is quick and efficient. A great place to stay on business or for pleasure...

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cljfrancis
Thank you for your lovely feedback on your recent stay at the runnymede. I am so pleased that you thought the location is beautiful and great for both family day trips to Windsor or other local attractions and also business trips.
I have passed on your kind feedback regarding the attentiveness of the team members to everyone at the hotel as it is always nice to get good feedback.
I am glad that you were able to sit on the terraces and in the lounge watching the world go by and we very much look forward to your next visit to us.
West Lothian
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed here last Sat and Sun night. Didn't know what to expect but hubby had stayed here before and said the rooms were very good. Yes, they are! Excellent in fact, spacious, very comfortable beds, great silent a/c, good amenities (ESPA products), lightweight bathrobes and proper bath towels (large). Overhead shower in the bath was excellent and housekeeping made an excellent job and also very friendly which was a pleasant change.

Now then, service: I appreciate that on Saturday night it was exceptionally busy but as a paying customer that is not my problem, I do NOT want to wait 15 minutes to get a waiter's attention. I expect to be brought the correct drink. I do not want to be given 2! bills. I do expect that my table be cleared of the previous occupant's 'remains' when asked and not have to look at it when sipping my drink! Yes, there was a wedding on but we were paying good money too so you need to sort this out.

Breakfasts were excellent with a huge choice of food. We both loved the honeycomb on Sunday morning, never seen that before. Nothing too much trouble for the staff when asked to clear a plate away but this should be done without asking. Need to address this too.

Buffet dinner that was included in the price was very good. WAs a bit dubious about freshness however it was very good quality. I had langoustines with marie rose sauce, very good, followed by mussel soup (kindly made to order) which was EXCELLENT. Hubby had the roast beef and salad and said his beef was cooked to perfection.

Very impressed when we checked in that despite our room not being ready - Room 114 (we were a bit early for check in) we were heading off to London for a party, the Receptionist swiftly advised me that i could use the Spa facilities to change. That is good service.

We will definitely return for a more leisurely visit and despite the unlikely location beside the motorway, it IS beside the lovely Thames and has something for everyone, indoor/outdoor pool, walks beside the river, lovely lawn area, great comfy sofas right beside the water to while away some time, table tennis on the lawn, nice squashy cushions on the lawn.

This is a very good hotel with lovely staff - just train your Waiters better.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the side of the hotel and it was nice and quiet - with air con we did not...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your great feedback and I am so pleased that you decided to stay with us after a trip here by your husband. I am also pleased that you liked your room and found the housekeeping standards excellent and the team themselves friendly.
It is great that you were able to enjoy the outdoor space and relax on the private residents jetty area and on the lawns watching the boats sail by.
I have passed on your feedback to the kitchen brigade regarding the food offering and I am pleased that you enjoyed dinner and the breakfast both mornings.
I have also passed on your feedback regarding the service to the restaurant and Bar manager’s so they can address the issues you have raised. This is not our usual feedback and I am sorry for this lapse in service from the team.
However, I am pleased that you would return and we look forward to your next visit.
Staines
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Just had lunch at the Leftbank restaurant absolutely first class. Food buffet style 3 course as much as you can eat. Can recommend the crispy lamb for main and had 4 puddings yummie. Staff so friendly service could not be better. Will definitely be back. Deal at the moment includes a glass of Sangria and above for £20 per head.

• Stayed August 2014
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for your glowing feedback on lunch at the runnymede last week. I am pleased that you enjoyed the food especially the crispy lamb and that you saved space for all those yummy desserts.
I have passed on your feedback to the Chefs and the team in the restaurant as it is always nice for them to get good feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We have just returned from a night away at the Runnymede-on Thames. It will become a regular place to celebrate birthdays and anniversaries!! The staff is extremely professional: knowledgeable and courteous. The location is perfect: less than an hour's drive away and lots to do : outdoor pool, spa facilities and lovely river walks to Magna Carta and Kennedy Memorials, and Windsor. The food in the Lock Bar and Restaurant is simple but elegantly presented, and perfectly cooked. The selection of quality food for breakfast in the Left Bank Restaurant beats any hotel I have ever stayed in. The rooms are small side, but the view of the river made up for this, and the bathroom and room service were impeccable. There were some nice touches of welcome and congratulations for our celebratory night... unusually warm and friendly for such a large, professional establishment.

Room Tip: Opt for a river view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your great review of your anniversary celebration with us, and I am so pleased that we will become a regular place for your celebrations. I am glad that you found the location perfect for you with plenty to do in the grounds of the hotel as well as being able to enjoy the local attractions such as Windsor, the Magna Carta Memorial and the Kennedy Memorial.
I have passed on your glowing feedback on the food offering to the entire kitchen and restaurant team as it is always nice for them to know their efforts are appreciated and I am pleased that you enjoyed your meal.
It’s also good to know that the small touches we provide made you want to return for future visits and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I flew into LHR Terminal 5 and took a taxi to this hotel for a business lunch meeting. However be warned that you will pay £35 for the 10 min trip by London cabbie - he explained that he had been waiting for 4 hours and this was the official fare. It was hot summers day and we sat outside overlooking the river as various shape and size craft meandered by, Very peaceful and pleasant so it might be hard to conduct a tough negotiation at this idyllic place. Service was good and our lunch of Salad Nicoise (£11.00) was well prepared and just right for the occasion. Being less than a mile off the manic M25, the Runnymede offers a great and tranquil location that I will keep using for business meetings in the Heathrow area. Far better than the plethora of characterless and dull airport hotels.

Room Tip: Did not stay at the hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your lovely review of the runnymede and I am pleased that you found our location beside the Thames a tranquil location for your meetings in the area. On future visits if you contact us in advance we can arrange a taxi from the airport which would cost less than an airport taxi.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your salad whilst watching the boats meandering by on the river and we look forward to your next visit.
United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a weekend break at the Runnymede-on Thames. It is one of our favourite places to "get away from it all", which is why we keep returning year after year.

The staff is fantastic: pleasant, helpful and courteous. The location is great: a few miles from Windsor, and right on the River Thames.

The food is wonderful. The Left Bank Restaurant offers an extensive selection of quality food at both breakfast and dinner. The Lock Bar and Restaurant is also good and has the benefit of staff member, Lucia, who is incredibly helpful and obliging, and a credit to the hotel.

The standard double rooms, although very nice, tend to be on the small side, so this time we upgraded to a deluxe room and it was well worth the extra money. The room was very spacious, with a lovely bathroom.

We will continue to return to this hotel as it never disappoints!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for glowing your review of the runnymede and I am pleased that you enjoy coming away to stay with us to ‘get away from it all’ each year.
I am delighted that you like the food offering in all of the restaurants and that you find the team here to be helpful and courteous. I have passed on your comments to the team and as you have mentioned Lucia in The Lock Bar and Kitchen by name she will be automatically nominated for our Employee of the Quarter award.
I am also glad that you found the deluxe rooms worth the upgrade and you thought the bathrooms were lovely.
We look forward to your next visit.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
Great Fosters
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 17 in Windsor
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,200 reviews

Been to The Runnymede on Thames? Share your experiences!