“An amazing selection if fresh delicious food and top service with Gary.”

Leftbank Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 54 Restaurants in Egham
Price range: US$32 - US$39
Cuisines: European
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: At leftbank there are stunning views of the river Thames from wherever you're dining. Linger over gorgeous seasonal food all freshly cooked and served buffet-style so you can help yourself to a little bit of this, a lot of that...you can tuck into three, four or five courses! The food style is English with gorgeous international influences and it's all prepared freshly for you by people who love food. The wood-fired oven, rotisserie and hobs are always in action - a theatre of cooking right before your eyes.
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We were staying at the hotel which exceeded our expectations too. Dinner was included and we were expecting a general Buffet style selection of food so delighted that the food was fresh and delicious and seafood was cooked to order. Gary was amazing as our server. We will definitely be back to eat here and stay here again.

Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at Leftbank Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you for your review of the Leftbank restaurant and I am so pleased that the hotel and food offering in Leftbank exceeded your expectations.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the food and thought that Gary was amazing. Due to your feedback Gary has been automatically nominated for the Employee of the Quarter award at the hotel.
We look forward to your next visit to us.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Booked an evening table with my wife at Leftbank following particularly good reviews from a number of friends and colleagues - all of whom certainly know a thing or two about good dining. We were greeted promptly and after custom-made introductory cocktails from the lounge, were shown to our table (ideal for the beautiful sunset view over the lazy Thames a few metres away).
The food here is nothing short of superb - provided in buffet style, the choice is a perfect combination of hot and cold dishes, salads, deserts, and cheeses, all cooked / prepared perfectly and with just as much attention clearly paid to their presentation.
After sampling a whole array of starter dishes, we headed for the 'mains' and were treated to a range of delightful meat / fish and vegetable dishes and accompaniments all clearly thoughtfully designed to allow the flavours to speak for themselves. Deserts followed (twice!) and we were yet again so impressed by the choice and quality on offer.
A full array of very nice wines is offered although driving commitments meant we had to resist.

What really made Left bank at the Runnymede stand out, was the effort shown by the Chef and staff to ensure that we, and our fellow diners enjoyed our relaxed dining experience to the full - not always a priority in many cases. The Chef, Paul, clearly has a real passion and knowledge for his profession and happily guided us through his dishes on offer (and will help with specific dietary needs) whilst the restaurant team attended to our needs with good humour - and proper SMILES !!!
Obviously, being buffet style, trips to top up one's plate are unrestricted - therefore 'little and often' is, from experience, most definitely the approach to be adopted !!!!!!!!
All in all, a very very good experience wholly recommended and most certainly will be repeated in the near future. Thank you Leftbank !!!

Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at Leftbank Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you so much for your in depth glowing review of your visit to Leftbank. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the setting, food and ambience and moreover that you thought the team were professional and friendly allowing you to enjoy the experience to the full.
I have passed on your kind feedback to the entire restaurant and kitchen brigade for the excellent dishes they prepared and served. As a result of your feedback Paul has now been nominated for the Employee of the Quarter award within the hotel as a thank you for his continued efforts that our guests such as yourselves have recognised.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Have eaten here many times over the years but on visiting yesterday I thought there has been a real deterioration in the various offerings. There was no Roast being carved bt the chef and the roast chicken portions were oddly flavoured. No roast potatoes just boiled or au gratin neither of which were enjoyed by any of us. The salads were heavily saturated in mayonnaise, way too much in my opinion. Desserts were heavily sugar basedwith meringues, marshmallows and chocolate . Other than fresh fruit there was little for me.
I would not return.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My wife booked a table to celebrate my birthday with a couple of friends. We arrived on time and we were promptly shown to our table. On our way to the table another guest dropped a plate which smashed on the floor. The head waiter asked a group of three waiters if they would get a dust pan and brush. The waiters looked at each other and stood frozen to the floor. While they were ignoring the head waiters request the guest was picking up the broken pieces herself. Not a good start. We arrived at our table and the waitress asked if we would like water which arrived quite quickly. Sadly three out of the four glasses were water stained and needed changing. Replacements were grabbed from nearby tables, but no comment from the waitress. We were then left to our own devices. This is a self service type of restaurant but we were a bit surprised that no one even asked if we would like to order wine with our meal. We had to call a waiter to order a bottle which arrived promptly. The food was plentiful and varied so we have no complaints there. Although some dishes were empty and we had to ask staff if more were available. The food was restocked quickly after our request. The plates were cleared between courses without a fuss. The quality of the food was good. But some of the staff were in a bit of a dream. After finishing our meal we wanted to pay and go we had to wait for the head waiter to come back and raise the bill to include the wine we had ordered. You have to understand that this is a one price £24 per head buffet style menu. I'd have thought any of the staff could have organised that. As we got up to go and we were heading towards the door a waiter came rushing towards us with a rather nice sweet arrangement with a candle in the top. He said "Is it some one's birthday" we said yes and he said "well this is for you".
We went back to the table to eat the extra sweet before leaving. I have to say I have known this hotel form many years. I'm that old that I can remember the "Anglers Rest" that used to be there before this hotel. I have watched the hotel grow and been to many functions there. I feel for the place. There is no doubt their heart is in the right place. The nice touch of a birthday treat is lovely but it has to be at the right time, not when we are on our way out ! The management here seem to be doing their best but the staff appear to be either a bit dim or perhaps poorly trained. Either way it lands back with management. We enjoyed our meals but we did feel they could have done better. Our experience would not deter us visiting again. One thing we did find of concern is regarding disabled parking. One of our friends with us has difficulty walking so we were looking far a disabled bay to park the car. Two were empty but were blocked with these pop up blocking posts. We drove around the roundabout in front of the entrance and there was no one to ask, so we parked around the side and walked quite a way to the main entrance. On our way out just as we were leaving I asked one of the ladies on the front desk about the disabled parking spaces and she said she could see that two were free. I said they were locked with the pop up posts. She said "Yes we can open it"
I asked "So am I right in saying that you expect disabled people to get out of their cars and walk into reception and ask someone to come out to unlock the disabled spaces?" She said "Oh no there is always someone there to unlock them when people arrive. Would you like me to unlock it now?" I said "No thanks we are going now it would have been nice for it to have been opened about two and a half hours earlier". I know that as the years pass I'm becoming more of a grumpy old sod. Perhaps I'm expecting too much ? ..I don't think so.

2  Thank bobandtinaC
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at Leftbank Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for your in-depth review of your recent visit to the Leftbank and I am pleased that you enjoyed your meal and found the food plentiful and varied.
I have passed on your feedback about the service element of your visit to the Leftbank Manager so he can discuss this with the team as these are not the standards we pride ourselves on and therefore appreciate your feedback so the team can learn from the comments made.
With regards to the disabled parking we have had to put posts in the bays to ensure that only disabled badge holders use these. However, if the posts are raised our advice is to please pull up to the entrance of the hotel as we offer a full valet parking service and would be happy to look after your car and bring it to the door when you are ready to leave.
I am glad that despite the little niggles with the service you will return to the hotel and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We enjoyed a meal here last week in the "Left Bank" restaurant and thought the setting was lovely. There is lots of seating outside by the river (some smoking, some non-smoking) and it is lovely to sit outside on a warm. summer's evening. The restaurant serves a very varied range of food and is serve yourself, carvery style for £26 per head (not including ANY drinks). There are many, many choices for starter, main course and dessert and to be honest, it's very difficult to decide what to have! We all visited each station more than once and there is no limit as to how many platefuls you can have. Some dishes were quite exotic (e.g sushi), others very traditional, but most were very tasty. There was definitely something to suit every palette. The labelling could have been clearer, some dishes were pure guesswork. They will cook some dishes to order e.g pizza which is great for the children. The staff were very attentive, although there seemed to be too many of them and a few were standing around chatting because they weren't busy. Be warned - drinks are expensive - but that's to be expected I suppose, with the class of hotel. The waiting staff were very quick to take empty plates away but slow to replace cutlery so you have to find that yourself. All in all a pleasant evening meal for friends and/or family.