“Absolutely Amazing!”

Price range: US$52 - US$76
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Description: First awarded a Michelin star in October 2016 & 4 rosettes by The AA in 2018, The Tudor Room is a richly decorated dining room, boasting silk lined walls and a dominant seventeenth century tapestry. With just 7 tables, The Tudor Room offers a series of tasting menus with intense flavours that change seasonally. It opens for lunch from 12 noon until 2pm on a Thursday & Friday and for dinner from 7pm until 9.30pm Wednesday - Saturday. Head Chef Douglas Balish changes his menus according to the seasons and his food demonstrates his passion for simple cookery with intense flavours. Produce is hand selected to ensure the best products from the finest suppliers, many of whom we have long standing relationships with. The kitchen garden at Great Fosters also plays a major part in providing fresh, organic ingredients for the menu. Many of the vegetable & salad ingredients including aubergines, beetroot, lettuce, tomatoes, squash, onions, courgettes and fennel are picked daily from the estate.
Reviewed 16 November 2018

We visited the Tudor Room for my husbands birthday celebration and it was just amazing! From the service to the taste of the food to the atmosphere. The food tasted like pure heaven and I ate a lot of things I wouldn't normally and absolutely loved it all. All the staff there were so friendly and funny too. Thank you so much to everyone there for this amazing experience. I cannot wait to go back!

Date of visit: November 2018
GreatFosters1931, General Manager at The Tudor Room, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you for your lovely comments.

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed celebrating your husband's birthday with us and we look forward to welcoming you both back to The Tudor Room in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 12 November 2018

Another absolutely wonderful evening with exquisite food and wonderful service. The presentation of each course was stunning.Will definitely return.Could not fault anything. We invited 4 friends & they loved it as much as we did. Nice relaxed atmosphere with friendly staff.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed 31 October 2018

Went to the Tudor Room for lunch in early October with great expectations as it was based on a recommendation. Sadly the experience was ruined within the first few minutes when we were bluntly told at reception that they have a strict formal dress code - which was mentioned neither in the website, over the phone when making our reservation, or in the reservation confirmation email. We were then left in the lobby of the Great Fosters waiting for the restaurant manager, feeling like naughty schoolchildren awaiting our punishment.

He invited us in to dine with them anyway, we apologised for not having known beforehand, and I suggested it would be helpful to have this mentioned on the website to avoid others making the same mistake - only to be told rather condescendingly that "well, we are a one Michelin star restaurant...". I'm sorry, but we've been to several other one- and two-starred restaurants who have been more than happy to welcome us and other patrons in smart casual, which is how we were dressed that day. I don't think he meant any harm by it, but that careless comment absolutely spoiled the afternoon for us, leaving my wife petrified of committing another faux pas and unable to relax.

We should have turned and left at that point, but carried through regardless, only to find that...

The food was decent, but nothing spectacular - I did enjoy my dessert, but the starter and mains were good but forgettable. The initial experience put a massive damper on the whole afternoon. To be fair, our waiter and waitress were lovely and warm, everything you would expect from a fine dining establishment, and they were truly let down by that one unguarded comment and lack of upfront information.

I have no problem if a restaurant wishes to enforce a dress code and am happy to conform - I can totally understand that it changes the atmosphere of a dining room, and often for the better. But if you wish to do so, I think it would only be courteous to advise your customers up front (in my case, there were three missed opportunities to do so), and not make them feel like idiots, especially in this day and age where a Michelin star can be awarded not just to white linen restaurants, but to hawker stalls in busy food courts and pubs where casual dress is the norm rather than the exception.

Needless to say - we will not be returning.

12  Thank wcsoon
Reviewed 22 October 2018

We went to celebrate my partner's 30th birthday, and had a great time! I told them before hand that I was intolerant to onions and bell peppers, and they took special care for all of my food. We went for the 3 course weekday lunch menu. The food itself was absolutely delicious, and the service was outstanding. We also went for a walk in the grounds afterwards, and it was really quite beautiful. Highly recommended!

Date of visit: October 2018
GreatFosters1931, General Manager at The Tudor Room, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2018

Thank you for recommending us to the Tripadvisor community; it is much appreciated.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed celebrating your partner's birthday with us in The Tudor Room and hope that you will return to see us when you next have an occasion to celebrate.

Reviewed 21 October 2018

Amazing in every way, the front of house team were fantastic and the food sublime, many thanks for making the evening so memorable.

Date of visit: October 2018

Thank you for your generous words. I'm delighted that you enjoyed celebrating your 10th wedding anniversary with us and hope that there will be an occasion for you to return to see us in the not too distant future.